The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently purchased a 2000 F250. I had a ScangaugeII from my last truck which was a 2003 F350 with the 6.0. Once I got water temp programing figured out I was super alarmed to see it go up to 250 degrees! I have Auto Ingenuity on my laptop so I hooked it and went for test drive, with the A/C on and the overdrive turned off it went all the up to 275 on the highway! The crazy thing is the idiot dash gauge never moved a bit. Am I missing something? I also never heard the fan clutch engage. If it was really running that hot it should have burned to the ground! I can see needing a fan clutch but still seems weird. By the way the EOT seems normal.

·
Premium Member
15,120 Posts
The 7.3 auto doesn't report ECT to the PCM. The number ScanGauge is reporting is a fictitious, nonsensical number. Ignore it. If you want ECT, you'll have to get a separate gauge. Congratulations on the upgrade.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll assume what I am seeing from my laptop is garbage too. The Scangauge and the laptop both worked good on my 6.0 so I figured it'd be the same. I guess I'll have to break down and get some gauges. Darn!?

·
Premium Member
15,120 Posts
Really, monitoring your EOT is sufficient. The 7.3 is not prone to having big deltas because our oil coolers don't clog. I do have a coolant gauge, but it never strays more than a few points from my oil temperature on the ScanGauge. In hindsight, I would have filled that gauge spot with something else if I could only think of something else I wanted to monitor...

If you want to get a gauge that will mean something - get fuel pressure or engine oil pressure - on top of the EGT gauge, transmission temperature gauge, and boost that you're required to have by 7.3 law.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Is your truck a 6 speed by any chance?

·
Premium Member
15,120 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts