The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gents,

I have a good question about my EGT’s. Since the new engine install, my EGT’s really haven’t went above 650-675 and that was climbing a pretty good grade and a few miles at that grade, at about 50-55 mph.

Today, I was heading to Breckinridge and I was on pretty flat land. I noticed my EGT’s were at 712 and I was running about 65. At that speed, they are usually around 450-475. Sometimes 500. I first noticed that my oil temp was at 210 and wasn’t dropping any. I was up in the highlands and the outside temp was pretty cool. Around 60-65 degrees.

What I did today that I haven’t done since the new engine install, was I added diesel Klein to the fuel. Would the diesel Kleen make the EGT’s run higher?

I ended up pulling over in FairPlay and I took the red vacuum line off the EBVP as I remember reading here somewhere that if it was stuck closed, that would help to possibly open it. When I arrived in Breckinridge, I looked under the hood again and noticed the green line wasn’t in the tube come from the air filter. I put the back in the black tube and also put the red one back where it belonged.

What I did notice after I disconnect the red vac tube, going up grade, the EGT’s went up to about 712 again but when I would give it more fuel, they came down to like 685-690.

I’m curious to hear what this could be.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
I don’t think fuel additive is causing these EGT changes.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
What kind of gage will tell you 712*, seems like an odd but very precise number...

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
EGT Normal?

Cellfisha, your equipment signature is incomplete. Is your pyrometer mounted pre or post turbo and do you have a stock or modified exhaust system? Most people here have their pyrometer mounted pre turbo, right in the exhaust manifold but there are still a few that mounted them post turbo. Two different critera. So, in order to answer your question one would have to know, not assume, pyrometer mounting position and details about your exhaust. For instance my system, I mounted my pyrometer pre turbo right in the DS exhaust manifold and have stock pipes but opened it up on the back end with a non restrictive BTM muffler..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cellfisha, your equipment signature is incomplete. Is your pyrometer mounted pre or post turbo and do you have a stock or modified exhaust system? Most people here have their pyrometer mounted pre turbo, right in the exhaust manifold but there are still a few that mounted them post turbo. Two different critera. So, in order to answer your question one would have to know, not assume, pyrometer mounting position and details about your exhaust. For instance my system, I mounted my pyrometer pre turbo right in the DS exhaust manifold and have stock pipes but opened it up on the back end with a non restrictive BTM muffler..
My pyrometer is pre turbo. It’s mounted the same place yours is. I have stock exhaust system.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of gage will tell you 712*, seems like an odd but very precise number...
Well, mine is at the moment. Not that it’s correct. It doesn’t start out at 712, but works it’s way there. Doesn’t stay at 712 the entire time, so there’s definitely a problem.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don’t think fuel additive is causing these EGT changes.
Hey ArcticDriver. I didn’t have a EGT hooked up till I had the newer engine installed, so I never knew what it was doing before. I’ve always used the fuel additive in the truck. Just didn’t put any in since I had the newer 7.3 installed. Just sorta freaked me out because this didn’t start till I added the additive and started making my way up into the mountains. Maybe I need to check my pyro and see if it has moved from it’s original location.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I took the red vacuum line off the EBVP as I remember reading here somewhere that if it was stuck closed, that would help to possibly open it. When I arrived in Breckinridge, I looked under the hood again and noticed the green line wasn’t in the tube come from the air filter. I put the back in the black tube and also put the red one back where it belonged.
FYI:

Those tubes are not the EBPV controls, and they are not vacuum lines.

They are the turbo wastegate controls, that connect through the wastegate solenoid control valve. It allows the PCM to control/limit the turbo speed and boost by either: Letting boost signal go to the wastegate actuator diaphragm (which opens the wastegate), OR, venting the boost signal to the intake, which keeps the gate closed.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI:

Those tubes are not the EBPV controls, and they are not vacuum lines.

They are the turbo wastegate controls, that connect through the wastegate solenoid control valve. It allows the PCM to control/limit the turbo speed and boost by either: Letting boost signal go to the wastegate actuator diaphragm (which opens the wastegate), OR, venting the boost signal to the intake, which keeps the gate closed.
Thank you for the correction. 😀

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Well, mine is at the moment. Not that it’s correct. It doesn’t start out at 712, but works it’s way there. Doesn’t stay at 712 the entire time, so there’s definitely a problem.
Seriously, what brand and style?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Thanks for clearing up the pre or post turbo pyrometer positioning. Your EGT's don't seem excessive compared to mine but admittedly we don't have mountains or grades to compare to Colorado in Alabama where I live. You could lower your EGTs by installing a non restrictive muffler like a BTM, the stock muffler is very restrictive not allowing straight line flow out. My EGTs at 5 PSI boost, 2000 RPM, unloaded 70 mph on flat interstate highway are 700. But they might go higher going up a slight grade in traffic at 40, engine lugging a bit before auto kick down. So there are many variables that effect EGT but what you report does not seem unusual.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for clearing up the pre or post turbo pyrometer positioning. Your EGT's don't seem excessive compared to mine but admittedly we don't have mountains or grades to compare to Colorado in Alabama where I live. You could lower your EGTs by installing a non restrictive muffler like a BTM, the stock muffler is very restrictive not allowing straight line flow out. My EGTs at 5 PSI boost, 2000 RPM, unloaded 70 mph on flat interstate highway are 700. But they might go higher going up a slight grade in traffic at 40, engine lugging a bit before auto kick down. So there are many variables that effect EGT but what you report does not seem unusual.
Something has changed. Not sure what but I’m going to get it figured out. My truck seems to be a lot different than yours. At 70 mph my boost might be 2.3-2.5 psi at 1900. I try to keep it at 2000 rpms or less to save on fuel.

Right after the new to me engine was installed, I could climb the same grades and drive the same roads and things were very different. Climbing the mountain pass, EGT was never over 700 and driving flatland, they were never more than 500. That was not pulling anything. Crew cab was loaded with tools, but nothing on the flatbed.

I’ll keep yall posted on my findings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts