The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just turned 70K on mine. No engine or trans problems just a death wobble caused by tires which is a relief. The truck is very tight, no rattles. I hope it stays that way, these Michigan roads are aweful but my 97 and 01 trucks remained tight even with 200,000+ on the odos.

Question, I have sooty tailpipes and i'm pretty sure I have a cracked dpf, should I have ford replace it? It hardley ever regens and I do see a little black smoke when I accelerate hard but that's the only side affect i've noticed. I believe the emmissions warranty is 80k but i'm sure I will end up deleting the dpf at some point in the future. I don't see myself deleting before 100,000 miles though. Should I just leave it alone?
If ford will replace it under warranty I would get it replaced since you are planning on staying stock until 100,000. If it will cost you then you might be better just deleting because apparently it is quite expensive to replace from what I have heard.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Also, I think I read a post somewhere of a guy that had a cracked dpf. He kept driving it like that & I believe he said it eventually went into constant re-gen. Can't remember where I saw this though.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Just turned 70K on mine. No engine or trans problems just a death wobble caused by tires which is a relief. The truck is very tight, no rattles. I hope it stays that way, these Michigan roads are aweful but my 97 and 01 trucks remained tight even with 200,000+ on the odos.

Question, I have sooty tailpipes and i'm pretty sure I have a cracked dpf, should I have ford replace it? It hardley ever regens and I do see a little black smoke when I accelerate hard but that's the only side affect i've noticed. I believe the emmissions warranty is 80k but i'm sure I will end up deleting the dpf at some point in the future. I don't see myself deleting before 100,000 miles though. Should I just leave it alone?
2008 has a 100K warranty on the DPF.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
08 job #1 with now 116,000 and i guess my luck is not as good as some of you but im on motor#2 done at like 62k rockers done at 98k second rear, second wiring harness(dealer f'd up 1st one with motor change) a radio and right side heated mirror, truck also has had both axel seals replaced both at 34k. I tow a 3 car hauler and anything else that can be towed. so the truck is used as it should be but now being out of warranty i worry that at 124k i may need yet another motor. dodge is looking pretty good on certain days.i maintain the truck above and beyond the "sever duty" schedule and still had these problems.. so hopefully the replacement motor is better than the first.
Just wonder, have you removed your DPF? if not maybe you should, especially since you are out of warranty. The DPF might be choking your engine.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
121,000 miles on mine

·
Registered
1 Posts
miles

105,000 on mine. No probs so far, but the dealer said I needed a new radiator and upper and lower hoses at my last service. I don't know why. I just asked them to check the antifreeze level because it looked a little low. They came back with me needing a radiator. This is the first time I've added antifreeze since the truck was bought. I see no signs of leaking and had it pressure checked elsewhere and it checked out fine. Think it's time to find a new dealership. Also my water in fuel indicator had been staying on and they told me they would just unplug the sensor as they had been having a lot of problems with them and it would probably not stay fixed long if they fixed it. Just read on here about cleaning out the box at the valve. Geez. Time for another dealership.

·
Registered
502 Posts
105,000 on mine. No probs so far, but the dealer said I needed a new radiator and upper and lower hoses at my last service. I don't know why. I just asked them to check the antifreeze level because it looked a little low. They came back with me needing a radiator. This is the first time I've added antifreeze since the truck was bought. I see no signs of leaking and had it pressure checked elsewhere and it checked out fine. Think it's time to find a new dealership. Also my water in fuel indicator had been staying on and they told me they would just unplug the sensor as they had been having a lot of problems with them and it would probably not stay fixed long if they fixed it. Just read on here about cleaning out the box at the valve. Geez. Time for another dealership.
Sounds like they'd rather sit around and drink coffee. I'd find another dealership too.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't have near the miles on mine that you guys have and i have a 2010! Should I just expect my radiator to go bad at some point? Seems to be the general concensus!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I don't have near the miles on mine that you guys have and i have a 2010! Should I just expect my radiator to go bad at some point? Seems to be the general concensus!!
How many do you have?

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
No, I would not expect it to fail unless there was an underlying cause. I have my orginal as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nothing spectacular but I just rolled over 100,000 miles yesterday while pulling my 15,000 pound fiver. Today the truck pulls just like it did yesterday. It's as strond as it ever was. Only replaced one radiator and one egr on this enigine. I'm on my second set of Goodyears but need another set soon. Oil replaced every 5000 miles fuel filters every 10,000 miles. Replaced air filter at 50,000 miles and again today. One windshield replaced along the way. Original manual transmission, clutch, and brakes.

Had oil sampled by Blackstone along the way. Enigine always shows higher than normal wear metals, probably because it's always hooked up to the fiver, and it usually has 2-4 % fuel in the oil.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
2008 has a 100K warranty on the DPF.
My 'bought' in the U.S. truck, but living in Canada seems to ignore this statement. With just over 80K the dealer here tells me they won't warrant my cracked DPF. No reason why, other than it was a U.S. truck!

Now, if I where to pop down to the state below me (20 min drive) should that reflect that I'm again in the U.S. and that the DPF would be warranted?
Or would they use the excuse that it was brought 'in' to Canada (and registered there) as an excuse.

"Where" the truck resides (in my opinion) should not be an issue with regard to warranty, as all these trucks are built in North America?

I was told yesterday at the dealer that my Regens are happening at approximately 500 kilometers each time (just over 300 miles), but my tailpipes are very 'black'.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've got great hopes for my 2010 6.4 (26k miles over 15 months since purchased new)
Five months later and I'm still stock, well-maintained, and at 33.5k miles (and my old '99 Exploder turned 206k). Wrestling with getting a Ford extended warranty and/or deleting that nasty old DPF and tuning the truck (regens seem to be coming more often now). Suprisingly, my Conti-Trac tires still have reasonable tread on them.

- Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought a 2010 F-250 6.4 with 95k on the clock. I've only used it to pull our +8k travel trailer to the dealer and back for a minor repair, but it's great so far. The history is clean, looks to be well maintained. I'm on two wheels every day, so this truck will likely only get mileage from trips with the camper or occasional urban errands. I don't know why it took so long for me to go diesel :icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm sitting at 49k miles with new radiator and cam and rear main seals. Are there any with A LOT of miles with little to no problems?
My 2008 F250 with 6.4 now has 269,000 miles on it, never been deleted, and runs as strong and fast as it did when new. I hear a lot of crap said about this model but don't believe it. I have no doubt I'll see 400K+ with this truck.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.