The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father has a 2011 f250 6.7. It's a crew cab short bed 4x4 with about 46,000 miles.
I've noticed when driving on a bumpy highway we have in the are that if I hit a rough spot/pothole in the road the front end will continue to "bounce" or shudder even when the highway has smoothed out. This particular highway is 55 mph.
The front end will continue to bounce until I slow the truck down a bit. Then I can gain speed again and it's fine.

I can take my 2000 psd 4x4 down the same highway with out any problems. I feel like my truck handles the rough road much better.

With only 46,000 miles on his truck what could cause this? I was thinking of installing new shocks on his truck to see if that helps???

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Yup, get yourself a set of new shocks. The Bilstein HD 4600 series have been on my truck a few years now. They work very well in our heavy trucks.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Check your tire pressure. Make sure it's where it needs to be. If I don't have my drivers side front at 72 psi or higher I will get a bounce that about rips the wheel out of your hands if I hit a bump while taking a left curve at speed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Torguen, Fixen Sixes here. Good call by fordsforever 73. Been out of the loop for a while, working on our boat. I will also add, if you know how or know someone that does, check the upper and lower ball joints-tierod ends link arm and any steering shocks. May not be any of these, but if the truck shudders and bounces these components may be failing as well. Keep'em Smok'en.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
X2 on the Bilsteins. Can't go wrong.
Although I think the 5100 has a superior zinc finish and slightly better valving for a smoother ride.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Kinda sounds like death wobble.
Lately I've been hearing the bilsteins aren't as great. Especially on the new trucks. Everyone is switching to the fox 2.0's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bought the 5100's yesterday as that is what I gave on my 2000 psd. Will report back once we get them installed. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Kinda sounds like death wobble.
Lately I've been hearing the bilsteins aren't as great. Especially on the new trucks. Everyone is switching to the fox 2.0's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Thats like saying a "cough" sounds like lung cancer.

It just sounds like a bad shock.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the death wobble on my truck, the ball joints went bad after 1 year of being replaced, also the steering stabilizer was bad changed those out and it was a smooth ride. I do have 6" lift on 35's though.

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to come back to this topic and update.

The new shocks helped but the truck is still having the problem. It's smooth at any speed without any type of wobble. But if you are traveling at highway speed and hit a rough area the truck becomes extremely hard to control and the front end will keep bouncing and shaking the steering wheel until you slow down some and then it goes away.

The stock shocks were toast. We installed all new 5100 shocks. The truck has around 55,000 miles. I can't believe how bad it drives compared to my 2000 psd. My truck will go over the same roads and stick to the road without issue and no bouncing. I don't even like driving his truck because of this.

What needs to be replaced next?? I don't think his has a steering stabilizer.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts

Still sounds like death wobble.....

Have you checked the rest of the suspension? Ball joints? Wheel bearings? Etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

How is your assumption any different? Both are nearly-blind guesses.
...the truck is still having the problem. ... What needs to be replaced next??
Didn't you learn from the first time? Replacing part$ isn't how you fix anything. Until you KNOW what the problem is, throwing part$ at it won't solve it. If you can't diagnose it, pay someone who can. I recommend an alignment shop, but it's hard to find a good technician.
The stock shocks were toast.
What exactly was wrong with them? My shocks are ~15 years old with over 200Kmi of HARD driving & wheeling, and they still work fine.
I don't think his has a steering stabilizer.
A steering "stabilizer" is NOT a solution to steering & handling problems - it's just a common patch to hide problems, mainly because of that misnomer. The only purpose of a steering DAMPER is to protect the steering box & driver from reverse inputs coming from the tires hitting large obstacles when off-roading. That's IT - nothing else. If you don't drive off-road, you don't need a steering damper. If removing your steering damper "causes" problems to appear, then those problems were already there, and needed fixing.
Wheel bearings?
That was my first impression, too, but it's still just a guess. You're right that the whole suspension needs to be inspected.

Reactions: 79jasper

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Steve83. The shocks were toast. Push them in by hand and they would not return at all. One never even moved after several days.

He is just about ready to purchase new tires. I've read some posts that say new tires stopped the death wobble.
I will also inspect the track bar bushings and replace if needed.

From pretty solid info on the caster cams working as well. That's personally what I think it is.

Steve83. Not all people want to take their property in when they are fully capable of doing the service themselves. Once new tires and alignment is done I will go from there.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Push them in by hand and they would not return at all.
That's not a critical performance characteristic of a shock, and it's not a recognized or recommended test of shock condition, either. This is Ford's checklist for suspension & steering concerns:
Ford Service Manual said:
Visual Inspection Chart - Mechanical
Front wheel bearing(s)
Loose or damaged front or rear suspension components
Loose, damaged or missing suspension fastener(s)
Loose or damaged shackle(s)
Incorrect spring usage
Damaged or sagging spring(s)
Damaged or leaking shock absorber(s)
Worn or damaged suspension bushing(s)
Loose, worn or damaged steering system components
Damaged axle components
Note that shock extension is NOT on the list.

This is the checklist for your steering issue:
Ford Service Manual said:
Shimmy or wheel tramp
Loose wheel nut(s). - TIGHTEN to specification. REFER to Section 204-04 .
Loose front suspension fasteners. - TIGHTEN to specification. REFER to Section 204-01A or Section 204-01B .
Front wheel bearing adjustment. - REFER to Wheel Bearing Inspection in this section.
Wheel or tire concerns. - REFER to Section 204-04 .
Springs. - INSTALL a new spring as necessary. REFER to Section 204-01A , Section 204-01B or Section 204-02 .
Loose, worn or damaged ball joints. - REFER to the Ball Joint Inspection component test in this section.
Loose, worn or damage steering components. - REFER to Section 211-00 .
Front wheel alignment. - ADJUST as necessary.
Note that shocks are NOT on the list.
Not all people want to take their property in when they are fully capable of doing the service themselves.
No one who is "fully capable" takes his vehicle to someone else for service. He doesn't post questions about it on the internet, either. But even those of us who are ASE certified and have all the necessary tools are occasionally INcapable due to time, physical, or other constraints.

But you don't have the tools, training, experience, or facilities; and neither does your father; so none of that applies to you anyway. Tell him to take his truck to a pro if he wants to save time, money, & headache.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Steve83, wouldn't insufficient caster amplify any looseness? Last time I had my truck alligned, they told me 2.5 degrees positive caster was factory spec. Well, that may be just fine if my granma was driving the truck, and it needed quick easy steering, but too little caster can result in shopping cart front wheels. I asked them for 3.5 degrees and it steers a wee bit heavier but it is more stable going down texas highways. Anyway, I was thinking I'd add a wheel allignment to your above check list.

Regards, -FB

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
...I was thinking I'd add a wheel allignment to your above check list.
1) It's not "my" list; it's Ford's.
2) If you add alignment to the shimmy checklist, it would be on there twice. :icon_rolleyes: You can't add it to the visual inspection list because alignment can't be inspected visually - it requires specialized training & equipment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts