The Diesel Stop banner

Holes to plug

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  sno_cat 
#1 ·
Men, I am still trapping deer mice (daily) in the cab of my truck. I hope this question is not too far out there but, How many holes(firewall,doors, trim etc.) are there that I might could plug to keep the critters out???? Am i dreaming or do I just keep trapping? Thanks for any help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
Take the potato chips and sunflower seeds out of the cab at night? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif LOL

#3 ·
How big are these mice? I have seen some mice get into spaces I would have never thought possible. My point is it might be near impossible to keep them out.I am assuming you are parking it outside at night,or is your garage just infested? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Maybe just stick a cat in your truck overnight.Of course that may pose other problems.

#4 ·
These deer mice are a little larger than regular house mice, but not as big as rats. My truck is parked outside under a carport next to my shop. We live in the country. I know this might be an impossilble task but i'm running out of options and patience. Luckily ther hasnt been any damage that i know of. i drive the truck everyday. just tired of cleaning mice crap out of the truck. thanks for your help. And answering first response the truck has no food inside.

#5 ·
It will only be a matter of time before they make a cozy nest out of your wiring harness. Go to the pound and get you 3-4 outdoor cats and turn them loose. It truly is the best way to keep the mice down.

#6 ·
This technique might help you locate some of the holes you missed. At night have someone sit in your truck holding a portable 500 watt Halogen work light shining it under the dash, then under the seats, etc. You pop the hood, crawl under the truck, etc. and see if you can find any new holes.

Consider this; once you get the mice out of your truck they may decide to move into your home. I’d go to the Humane Shelter and give a homeless cat a new home.

#7 ·
You might try putting a portable radio turned up loud in the truck at night. The mice should stay out of the truck and break them of the habit of visiting your truck and find a new home, it works if you have racoons in your attic. I would guess a week would do it, if you put on rap probably less. I'd still get the cat though. Jack

#8 ·
[ QUOTE ]
It will only be a matter of time before they make a cozy nest out of your wiring harness. Go to the pound and get you 3-4 outdoor cats and turn them loose. It truly is the best way to keep the mice down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get them spayed or neutered or you will end up having 40 cats in six months. That is no fun.

#9 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get them spayed or neutered or you will end up having 40 cats in six months. That is no fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
YEP,, Just like Bob Barker says!!!

#10 ·
Almost all my neighbors have mouse problems, it comes with living in the country. I don't have any mice in my vehicles, shop, house, or RV. I do see lots of evidence they are on my property.

I use electronic pest repellers that plug into 110V outlets and emit a high frequency signal that keeps the mice and spiders away. (Also rabbits, and ground squirrels). I thought they were a hoax when I bought the first one. But after six years and not even one mouse turd, I am a believer. I have one in the house, 1 in the garage, 1 in the shop, and another in my RV.

My neighbor put one in her chicken coop and the mice are gone.

My dogs are not affected by the devices, neither are the chickens. Say what you want but the darn things work.

#11 ·
Cheaper then spaying a bunch of cats to. Another solution to a few cats becoming a bunch af cats is a .22 and a few friends. Might make a few neighbors mad though.

#12 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Another solution to a few cats becoming a bunch af cats is a .22 and a few friends. Might make a few neighbors mad though.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the neighbors don't know, won't hurt them...

#14 ·
Or extra cats, either one or both.

#15 ·
Go to a party rental store and rent a small fog machine and put it in the truck (it is oderless) and let it run and then look for the fog escaping. We used to use them at the bodyshop when looking for water/air leaks after a vehicle took a good whack and workes pretty good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.