The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to work on my own truck, but working on that engine can be tough to get to, especially when trying to remove the turbo!

Built a topside creeper for about $20. You can make your own as well. Here's a picture of mine with a short description. If you make one, can you please send me a picture as well?

General idea was to be able to slide it in/out easily, store it outside, climb up like a ladder then lay down and fly over that engine bay like Superman. Works extremely well and am quite pleased with it, especially the low cost.

Pressure treated 2x4's in the following quantities and lengths:
(2) 8' for the horizontal base
(4) 6' for the diagonal cross supports
(2) 6' for the top horizontal platform
(6) 2' for the pieces between the two sides, can adjust lengths
For the top platform, I used a 2'x4' plywood board with a heavy wool mover's blanket, sometimes with a foam mat underneath for extra cushioning. Because of this, I used a 2' width between the two sides, but maybe 3' would have been more stable. Adding additional pieces between the two sides also helps with stability.

I tended to use magnetic parts bowls on the engine and in the empty battery trays, but you can build a handy shelf attached to the creeper if that works better for you, just an idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Good job. You could add 3' cross legs at the bottom ends to add stability rather then a wider unit.

I'd put on 4" memory foam. But thinking about it more, I'd need to incorporate a belly hole like the pregnant women massage tables.

·
Super Moderator
3,208 Posts
Very nice :thumbsup:.....Off to Lowes I go! :lol:

·
Super Moderator
25,865 Posts
Very ingenious, using the X pattern for stability. As far as lateral stability, nothing says you can't spread the struts on the ground further apart (side to side) and taper the uprights narrower as you get to the top. The platform should be narrow enough so you could lower your arms alongside it with your chin just over the front edge.

I may have to cobble something like that together. My knees are still bruised from kneeling on the radiator support doing injector o-rings the past couple of weekends.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
You could get fancy and angle the top platform a little, either up or down and notch the bottom to help it fold up or sit at different angles. I'm going to have to build one of these myself. I've been looking for a cheap way to do it. Thanks!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks and the creeper looks great I'm going to built one it sure saves my belly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Reviving an old post?

Good thinkin' InetDev.

You could also use wingnut's on the top right and middle bolts (using your picture as an example) to make it collapsible. You could even put some small casters on the front legs to haul it around the driveway. Install the casters so that when it sits flat on the ground they don't touch, but when you lift it they make contact. I will also be building one soon.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Good idea!

Anyone build their own and how'd it work out?

Flounder

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is brilliant! Last night the Brother-in-law and I were BSing about doing something like that over beers, after climbing up and down to pull both valve covers off, and replace the UVCH on the pass side. 35"s and a lift kit make a big truck bigger, and this is a much better solution!

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I built one that fits into my front receiver hitch. It is adjustable in and out with a long piece of 2x2 that slides in and out on the receiver, and the angle of the chest pad is adjustable by pulling pins. Stability is achieved with a threaded hole in the reciever into which I screw a bolt up tight. The framework is assembled with wing nuts and can be folded flat for storage. Without having the large base it makes it light and portable. I built it to do my up pipes, which I haven't gotten around to yet. I chose steel as I am a weldaholic right now, and can't seem to put the torch down. I am even pulling off the road to grab junk pieces of steel when I see them.

Fitting it up

The long tube for in and out adjustment

The finished product complete with a 2" foam pad covered with marine vinyl.

The finished product put to the test with 235 lbs. It's hard to tell but it is not touching the ground, I left the legs long in case I needed to make any adjustments, they are about 4 inches off the ground.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Nice work Bigb,

Flounder

·
Registered
490 Posts
bigb, that is great!
And another plus is that you can have someone making engine adjustments while you are driving down the road:lol:

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
bigb, that is great!
And another plus is that you can have someone making engine adjustments while you are driving down the road:lol:

Actually that idea did cross my mind but the wife refused.:lol::lol:

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I like to work on my own truck, but working on that engine can be tough to get to, especially when trying to remove the turbo!

Built a topside creeper for about $20. You can make your own as well. Here's a picture of mine with a short description. If you make one, can you please send me a picture as well?

General idea was to be able to slide it in/out easily, store it outside, climb up like a ladder then lay down and fly over that engine bay like Superman. Works extremely well and am quite pleased with it, especially the low cost.

Pressure treated 2x4's in the following quantities and lengths:
(2) 8' for the horizontal base
(4) 6' for the diagonal cross supports
(2) 6' for the top horizontal platform
(6) 2' for the pieces between the two sides, can adjust lengths
For the top platform, I used a 2'x4' plywood board with a heavy wool mover's blanket, sometimes with a foam mat underneath for extra cushioning. Because of this, I used a 2' width between the two sides, but maybe 3' would have been more stable. Adding additional pieces between the two sides also helps with stability.

I tended to use magnetic parts bowls on the engine and in the empty battery trays, but you can build a handy shelf attached to the creeper if that works better for you, just an idea.
How stable is this creeper? I was wondering if you get a lot of wobble when you are up on it. I sure could have used something like this when I pulled my turbo off. It is really a pain for a vertically challenged person like me.

Griz

·
Registered
434 Posts
Keep wanting to build one myself... Got to find some time

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is my completed topside creeper I went off the OP picture but modified it a bit. I added a diagonal brace to stiffen it up and it did just that. I did cut the top arms down quite a bit they measures 4.5 feet now it perfect for me im 6'1 and if there is a question about it holding a person Im 235 lbs. it holds me and a 6.0 head with no issues.
I bought N0. 2 treated [email protected] home depot for 3.27 each, I used carriage bolts (6 3/8x4 and 2 3/8 x 6) at my joints. Im pleased with my creeper especially for less than 35 bucks. If anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them.To the OP thanks for the nudge on this your original post/pic got me fired up to finally build one of these.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Nice work!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts