The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys and Gals.
Let me start by saying I am new to this site so bare with me if I'm doing this wrong.
1999 F350 4x4 powerstroke with 6 speed.
Last Saturday my horn went off and stayed on until battery went dead. (I was not home) I jumpstarted the truck. the first thing I noticed is that the power windows work even with the key off and the door open. second thing is a clicking noise coming from right below the stereo. not from the relays or fuse box area. next I checked the fuse for the horn (so that I knew where it is incase it came back on) it was blown. started the truck unhooked cables went inside to let it charge. it ran for about 5 min and died. ok so I figured I needed to rev the engine a bit to charge it better. I was I a pinch for time so I turned off the key and went in. so that leads me to today. I jump started it again this time I stayed with it. I unhooked the jumper cables, hopped in it and reved the engine up a bit. about 1500 rpm. a I was sitting there the gauge was reading normal no battery light on. I did notice that the clock on the stereo would flash like every 15 - 20 seconds. then all of a sudden the gauge went to the bottom, clock went out and the truck died like 20 seconds later. so this leads me to believe that the alternator is not working. my concern is how are the horn and the alternator related or are they? My first thought was water in the fuse box. I put a dehumidifier in the truck 2 days ago. batteries were replaced last year. I have it on a charger now. any ideas where to start checking? I don't want to go throwing parts at it in reckless abandon.
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
212 Posts
Have you done any work with or near wiring recently? Sounds like it might be a short.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts