The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently started looking to buying another SuperDuty and have run into a few with the body accent colored (painted..?) bumpers vs. the typical chrome...
Just curious how these are holding up for owners... In Colorado, the DOT spreads crushed Granite and sand on the roads in Winter time... All that grit ends up blasting the paint on the front ends and windshields of vehicles, so I can' imagine a painted bumper would look decent after 1 winters worth of abuse here...

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Clear vinyl shield is available in all different sizes (ScotchCal or equivalent) and that stuff does a good job for stone protection.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a version of that on several cars, Corvette(s), E500, CLK 55... Are the painted bumpers showing signs of chipping is really what I'm asking... If no one is responding, maybe it isn't an issue for most owners...

·
Registered
352 Posts
These bumpers are not painted. They are color matched plastic caps like that of molding and mirrors and on 99% of car & SUV front and rear bumpers.
Having driven cars and small SUVs as commuter vehicles for years down an average of 4 miles of dirt roads each day I can say the hold up pretty good.
A point of comparison would be that I will usually have numerous hood chips from rocks an the like before I have anything noticeable on the painted plastic bumper.
I attribute this to 2 things;
1. The plastic absorbs impacts better without acute deformations like a dent or crease that metal would have, thus nut creasing the paint to start chipping.
2. The paint becomes essentially the top layer of plastic. The paint better bonds to the plastic as it is more closely aligned to the chemical composition of the plastic bumper, where as paint relies on certain bonding agents to adhere to metal surfaces.

The plastic is a lot less likely to dent, and is more likely to return to its original position with minimal/unnoticeable deformation unlike metal.
Will it hold up as good as a chrome bumper? Eh? both require care to keep looking new(wash, wax/polish). The chrome is shinier but is susceptible to rust & pitting.

That said I have not inspected a 2017/18 close enough to ensure they haven gone to an all metal painted bumper, but I know previous models and F150s use a heavy plastic or plastic layer wrapped metal bumpers.

As for the side accent colors, I don't know why they wouldn't hold up any worse than the primary color of the vehicle. It is all applied using the same process.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a version of that on several cars, Corvette(s), E500, CLK 55... Are the painted bumpers showing signs of chipping is really what I'm asking... If no one is responding, maybe it isn't an issue for most owners...
The only reason I haven't answered is that even though I have had the truck through two winters, they are winters in Central California. My bumpers are painted Caribou Brown and don't show any wear at all, but then again we don't get snow at my elevation. We do get dust storms where I live from time to time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These bumpers are not painted. They are color matched plastic caps like that of molding and mirrors and on 99% of car & SUV front and rear bumpers.

I actually did not know that, thanks for that info. Paint in Colorado literally gets sand blasted by road debris and it looks like crap pretty quickly. What you describe, however, seems to hold up better than paint and if protected with something like "303 Aerospace Protectant" should look decent for an extended period...

·
Registered
839 Posts
Having driven cars and small SUVs as commuter vehicles for years down an average of 4 miles of dirt roads each day I can say the hold up pretty good.
A point of comparison would be that I will usually have numerous hood chips from rocks an the like before I have anything noticeable on the painted plastic bumper.
I attribute this to 2 things;
1. The plastic absorbs impacts better without acute deformations like a dent or crease that metal would have, thus nut creasing the paint to start chipping.
2. The paint becomes essentially the top layer of plastic. The paint better bonds to the plastic as it is more closely aligned to the chemical composition of the plastic bumper, where as paint relies on certain bonding agents to adhere to metal surfaces.

The plastic is a lot less likely to dent, and is more likely to return to its original position with minimal/unnoticeable deformation unlike metal.
Will it hold up as good as a chrome bumper? Eh? both require care to keep looking new(wash, wax/polish). The chrome is shinier but is susceptible to rust & pitting.

That said I have not inspected a 2017/18 close enough to ensure they haven gone to an all metal painted bumper, but I know previous models and F150s use a heavy plastic or plastic layer wrapped metal bumpers.

As for the side accent colors, I don't know why they wouldn't hold up any worse than the primary color of the vehicle. It is all applied using the same process.
The Accent color Bumpers are painted where they use to be Crome, there is no plastic coating, there is plastic covers over some areas of the bumper, maybe this is what you are referring to. but anyways the paint holds up fine just as good as the paint on any other panel of the truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts