The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the truck is cold, the engine revs really high when going slow (<20 mph), late shifts, jerks and bucks if I push it. After it's warm, (EOT ~100*F+) then it drives normal.

After reading and talking to local diesel shop, it sounds like it might be injector(s).

Was considering purchasing AutoEnginuity, then stumbled upon the Torque Android app. I realize both are completely different in functionality, but it got me wondering if there's a cheaper option out there for diagnosing injectors. (I can't afford to replace all 8)

Any comments/suggestions? Is AutoEnginuity my only option? I was enticed by Torque's low low price, but not sure if I can get it to help in this case. I already have a ScanGageII, not sure if that will help me diagnose injectors.

Thanks folks!

·
Premium Member
7,228 Posts
I have Auto Enginuity and have seen the Scan Gauge work. Between those two, the AE is a far better tool for actual diagnosis of not only injectors but also most other systems on these trucks. I have no knowlege or experience with the app.

I'm not going to say your problem it isn't injectors but based solely on what you described, it sounds like a slipping transmission to me.. When was the last time the batteries were disconnected?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AutoEnginuity definitely looks to be a full fledged tool. I was trying to figure out if there was something out there that would help diagnose the injectors, but was a little easier on the wallet. I can see how it would probably pay for itself though.

Batteries were disconnected probably 4-5 months ago. Just curious, if the tranny was slipping, why would it only happen when cold?

·
Premium Member
7,228 Posts
Batteries were disconnected probably 4-5 months ago. Just curious, if the tranny was slipping, why would it only happen when cold?
Bad solenoid maybe. It might not be the trans. I was just commenting that the high revs, late shifts and jerks sound like a trans slip. I asked about the batteries because had they been disconnected recently, it could have accounted for the trans not acting normal. But that long ago pretty well eliminates that possibility.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was originally dismissing the thought of an oil additive like Archoil; seemed like it was a band-aid or covering up an issue.

Is an oil additive just buying time or pushing the problem down the road, or can it truly fix a sticky injector?

Or is there a physical problem with wear and tear on the injectors that can only truly be corrected with replacement?

This is all still assuming my problem is injectors, I haven't diagnosed yet.

·
Premium Member
7,228 Posts
Stiction will manifest itself as a rough idle, like a miss. Products like Archoil, Rev-X and Hot Shots Secret all help with stiction. But yes, they are bandaids. The only cure is new new spool valves. I have experienced stiction and never had the high revs/late shifts that you described in your initial post.

You really need to get your truck scanned for codes. Either by purchasing a good scan tool or by paying someone to do it for you. Until then, you (and we) are just guessing.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
From what I've read, AE will not allow you to turn off FICM compensation, meaning that the contribution test is not nearly as accurate. Ford IDS is the best choice, and I know there are some Sanp-On units that can do it too. Your best bet is to take it to a dealership and drop the $150 to get the test run.

What you are describing is almost certainly injector related. The trans shifting strategy is timed off injection events in part, so when one or more don't happen when they are supposed to it throws off the trans shifting. I had this exact same issue with my truck prior to swapping out my failing Warren injectors for a fresh set from RCD, and this 100% cured the problem.

Archoil offers a money back guarantee, so there's nothing to lose, but injectors on all Diesels have a service life, and at some point hey are going to have to be swapped out for reman units to restore proper function. Typical 6.0 injector life is in the 150k range, so if you are in that ballpark, or beyond it; I would recommend just swapping all 8 injectors instead of chasing failing ones until you've swapped them all. At the very least swap all 4 on the bank you have to access to correct a single failing one so you don't have to open that side of the engine again.

·
Registered
579 Posts
From what I've read, AE will not allow you to turn off FICM compensation, meaning that the contribution test is not nearly as accurate. Ford IDS is the best choice, and I know there are some Sanp-On units that can do it too. Your best bet is to take it to a dealership and drop the $150 to get the test run.

What you are describing is almost certainly injector related. The trans shifting strategy is timed off injection events in part, so when one or more don't happen when they are supposed to it throws off the trans shifting. I had this exact same issue with my truck prior to swapping out my failing Warren injectors for a fresh set from RCD, and this 100% cured the problem.

Archoil offers a money back guarantee, so there's nothing to lose, but injectors on all Diesels have a service life, and at some point hey are going to have to be swapped out for reman units to restore proper function. Typical 6.0 injector life is in the 150k range, so if you are in that ballpark, or beyond it; I would recommend just swapping all 8 injectors instead of chasing failing ones until you've swapped them all. At the very least swap all 4 on the bank you have to access to correct a single failing one so you don't have to open that side of the engine again.
Have you got to run ur truck at the track since u got rcd injectors.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
No, been too busy, and now I'm fighting this dash electrical gremlin that I hope to have sorted out by the beginning of next year. The cluster is NLA, so I'm going to have to send it out to be repaired, and the only time I can afford the down time is between X-Mas and New Years.

And, regular Wednesday night racing won't come back around until April. I hate going Friday nights; its just a bunch of wannabees. Their junk breaks, oils down the track, and then you get to run twice in like 4 hours instead of making 8 passes in 2 hours on a Wednesday.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree roper and TKO, I'm going to have it professionally diagnosed. I'll report back here with what I find out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
On a related note, what do you guys think is a reasonable price to get a local Ford dealer to perform a cylinder contribution test with their IDS system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
$150 seems to be the going rate.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I would say yes, from what I've seen, but I've never had to pay for a test. I know a guy who has the software to do it, and despite more or less demanding that he let me pay him for it he won't ever take my money.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts