The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can i get more boost from my 1996 7.3? Ive looked and cant find a wastegate. Is it possible to get more boost or do i have to replace the turbo?

Would installig a intercooler achive more boost?

Im planning on opening up the fuel system and want to get the most out of it.

Any other suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Boost is mostly determined by exhaust pressure. An intercooler will not give you more boost, it will make your charge air denser. The best way to up your boost is to up your fuel. This can be done with a programmer or 'chip'. Gauges are a must (pyrometer)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boost is mostly determined by exhaust pressure. An intercooler will not give you more boost, it will make your charge air denser. The best way to up your boost is to up your fuel. This can be done with a programmer or 'chip'. Gauges are a must (pyrometer)
So what are the easiest and cheapest ways to get more fuel into the engine?

do 1996 powerstrokes have wastegates? is it possiblt to get more boost from playing with the wastegate?

thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
No WG on a 1996, so you can't play with one to make more boost. Or so the factory service manual says.

The easiest and cheapest way to get more fuel is to chip the PCM.

You will want a pyrometer as Evel said. The cheapest option I know is about $50 for an Auber Instruments pyro with sender. Increasing fuel delivery is a good way to make it possible to melt your pistons.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Update your signature line so we know where you are and what kind of truck. Most programs will give you about 50hp on stock injectors. To get more you need bigger inj. The stock 96's are about 97cc's I think, where the superdutys were closer to 130cc. I think with stock stuff and tunes, you will get 20-24lbs if your lucky. More than that needs injectors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update your signature line so we know where you are and what kind of truck. Most programs will give you about 50hp on stock injectors. To get more you need bigger inj. The stock 96's are about 97cc's I think, where the superdutys were closer to 130cc. I think with stock stuff and tunes, you will get 20-24lbs if your lucky. More than that needs injectors.
Could i get newer superduty 7.3 injectors from a autowrecker and install them in my 1996 f250 7.3?

that would probably be ALOT cheaper then buying new performance injectors

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Newer injectors are split shots and won't work in your engine. Performance injectors won't do anything for you either without tunes.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
More boost doesn't mean you are making more HP..what are your goals and budjet for mods..easy to get HP..its just costs$$

larger Inj's will give you more HP even without tunes..been their done that

·
Registered
10,720 Posts
You need the programming to run splitshots effectively. Are you running a MIF-series program (E4OD) or AUG-series program (5-speed) in your PCM? Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts