The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my new 4 inch mbrp exhaust with muffler today, my concern is that I can barely fit my fingers the fat way between the over the axle pipe and the rear passenger shock... if I shake it decently while laying under the truck I can make it hit the shock, I thought its lines up good i just dont know how close is too close...

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
I just put in a Magnaflow exhaust, I had more room than that. Keep playing with it and watch the fender exit area also. I think it took me about two hours of playing around to get it right. Don't clamp anything tight until the entire system is in place correctly.
DENNY

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
^^ What Denny said, stock exhaust is
3-1/2” so only a 1/4” difference (+) in radius. Mine was close but not super close after replacing muffler with Walker BTM. I don’t believe had I added 4” pipe it would have made much difference. But since I had some heat reflective tapeI I added it to my shock. 33F69A9B-CBD2-44CA-81FA-37D10991B4B6.png CFC41348-E9C0-4370-A341-D4F19783F824.png

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
I would take it out for a test drive and check it. The distance should increase with a load so that is good.
DENNY

·
Super Moderator
25,646 Posts
That's dang close. You can bend the rod that goes in the hanger donut to get more clearance.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm kinda thinking I gotta it hasn't hit yet bouncing down the gravel road I'm on, but I'm sure if the conditions are right it might cause me some issues. I'm gonna try and adjust it once more and if I gotta heat the brackets I will... I dont want my shock heating up or things hitting when the trailers are on the truck, hopefully the pipes will still move after I tightened it all up pretty good

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya know right after I replied I glanced at the pics I posted above, and I just looked at the factory hanger being sideways... I wonder if i have it all messed up somehow

·
Super Moderator
25,646 Posts
That rubber hanger should be hanging downward, now that I take a second look.
When I put on my 4" exhaust it didn't have a hanger bar in one of the factory locations, so I cut the bar off the original and welded it to the new exhaust.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Do you still have the metal heat shield between the exhaust and bottom of bed where it goes over the axle? I had to make a new one for mine as it was rotted out.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
One other option: there’s an older post that Kevin was included in. The original poster had the same issue and a member recommended heating the pipe, and using a hammer (I would also use a block of steel) to put a flat spot on the side facing the shock for more clearance and won’t affect the flow area inside the pipe. As Kevin stated, some of the vehicle exhausts already have a flattened area for additional clearance.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
I missed that rubber hanger, Go back and keep playing with it. until it hangs down that should fix the problem. It could be one of you slip joints are not fully together . If the pipe in front of the muffler has a offset to it, try rotating the pipe to different positions that helped mine. If this is a full turbo back system it should fit MBRP has been around for a while.
DENNY

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I should update the post for all who helped and fellow members needing an answer, after trying and trying and being unable to get the exhaust to line up, I talked with the woman and engineers at mbrp, we came to the conclusion that since I was so close to the end of my slip joints that there must have been some badly cut sections! mbrp did stand behind their product in a very respectable way and sent me out an entirely new system! It wasnt til it was out that I realised 1 section should have been 18 inches and cut down for cab length was 15 inches long yet never installed... another was to be 34 inches and it was 31... the new kit installed perfectly! I have the cc lb so I needed the full length available! Thank you everyone who helped

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
GREAT! Thanks for the followup. I went under and looked at my new system and found the pipe a bit closer to the spare than I liked so I bent that flat vertical bar more toward the tire and that helped a lot.
DENNY

1 - 14 of 14 Posts