The Diesel Stop banner

How do I know whether my new to me truck has a chip or tune or whatever,..??..??

2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Bondoagain 
#1 ·
Hi,...... I just bought myself a '97 obs F250 diesel, auto, 4x4, clubcab, long box pickup to replace my ole '96 rustbucket 4 ton toolbox,.....

The '97 was owned by a retired motorhead that passed away,..... I'm discoverin' things almost everyday on it,......
It's got a Gale Banks aftercooler, turbo housing, turbo back ssteel bigbore exhaust, 'n a GB transcommand screwed up under the body,.....
Oh, 'n GB boost pressure, pyro, 'n trans temp gauges on the pillar,....

I'm wonderin', whether there's some sorta GB touch to the motor's 'puter, 'n how will I know,..??..??

It runs like a raped ape, tonight was my 1st shake-down cruise,....... 0 to 80 in Holy Sh!it,..... the ole '96 Never had this kinda Power,.....
Trans temp gauge don't work,..... fixin' it tomorrow,......

#2 ·
For a tuner you can't. It would be programmed into the PCM with nothing physical on the outside to see.

For a chip you can look at the PCM and see if you can see something connected to it usually held on with duct tape. If you want to remove it make sure that the keys are not in the truck, if there is power to the PCM you can kill it by removing it.

#3 ·
Thank you,..... I don't wanta remove it, the power is Awesome,.....

The ole '96, back 17 years, 'n 240,000 miles ago when I 1st got it, would go from 40 mph, to 60+ mph, goin' up a local bigazzed hill,.....
Tomorrow, I'm gonna try this '97 over the same course,..... sorta a dyno run,.....

Been searchin' for this truck over 2 years now,....

#5 ·
I don't believe that there is anything out there that could tell you if it has been programmed to a higher HP.. Banks did have a chip that was included in some of their kits and that may be what you have.

Reactions: ArcticDriver
#7 ·
It is down low behind the kick panel.

You can see the connection from the engine bay down low on the firewall near the fender

The one up high just below the hood on the driver's side fender is the IDM

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Ok,..... Now I've got a few miles on this truck, 'n of course, that means more questions,......

I did a trip to Maine, with an 18' flatbed Cam trailer, 'n 'bout a ton or 2 of I-beams,.....
Over in the big hills, I managed to floor-board it a couple of times, but with the power it makes, I couldn't hold it there, without exceedin' the speed limits,.....
The Best boost I've seen is 'bout 19 psi,..... is that Good,..??

As for trans-temps, I found the original sender with a broken wire, plumbed into a T fittin', out under the radiator,.....
I reattached the wire, but saw No temp increases,......
I then ordered the Gale Banks sender, in 1/8" pipe to match the gauge, 'n to fit into the trans-case port, near the shifter interface,.....
Now, if I beat the 'ell out of it, I can get the gauge up to 'bout 140* which is the minimum shown,......
This seems to be to low,.....
The cooler system is plumbed so the fluid leaves the trans, goes into the rad mounted cooler, out of the rad, to another air to oil cooler mounted to the front of the Gale Banks aftercooler, 'n back to the trans,......
No doubt a very efficient plumbing,...... but can the trans fluid be runnin' at 140*,..??
Oh, 'n this was at ambient temps near, or just below freezing,....

I'm considerin' by-passin' the Gale Banks trans temp gauge, 'n hookin' the wires to an electric boat water temp gauge, to cross-check it, but I donno whether these gauges want to see the same ohm ranges,....

I appreciate any, 'n all comments, especially anybody who's run the Gale Banks upgrades,.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.