The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my glow plugs and injector o rings, so I'm now looking for some performance upgrades. I would love to make the turbo whistle louder similar to a 6.0, while still not being too loud if that's possible. I'm going to get a TS-6 chip first. It's completely stock of my understanding. 250,000 miles. Early 99. Any suggestions? I don't want it much louder than it is right now so my neighbors don't get angry at me. Thanks in advance!! Josh.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Get a cold air intake and a new compressor wheel. Either a Riffraff billet wheel or a wicked wheel 2. The Donaldson blue 6637 CIA is a great and budget friendly option also from Riffraff. You can also upgrade your exhaust. I have a 5" exhaust and the growl is awesome and not too noisy in my neighborhood if I take it easy, which I always do :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I've never done exhaust work before, would I have to replace all of the exhaust or could I just replace the muffler so the truck can exhale more?

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
I found replacing the factory muffler with a Walker BTM muffler brought out more turbo whistle.

The BTM is also less restrictive.

It might be an inexpensive option for you.

Someone posted a great price on an entire 4” exhaust system a while back and that would be another option for an upgrade.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I’ve never been steered wrong by this group. For me it was hard to believe at first, especially since I had never owned a diesel, but taking everyone’s advice last year, I replaced my muffler with the Walker BTM and there was no increase in noise level, but as Arctic said - now I can hear the turbo whistle.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Don,

Thats a great photo collection.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would also recommend the PHP Hydra chip over the TS-6. You have a stock truck and the Hydra tunes from them are great for a stock truck. And as you upgrade you can get updated tunes via email from quite a few places without removing the chip and waiting weeks to get it back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts