The Diesel Stop banner

How do I make the turbo louder?

10K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  dieseldogtom 
#1 ·
I recently replaced my glow plugs and injector o rings, so I'm now looking for some performance upgrades. I would love to make the turbo whistle louder similar to a 6.0, while still not being too loud if that's possible. I'm going to get a TS-6 chip first. It's completely stock of my understanding. 250,000 miles. Early 99. Any suggestions? I don't want it much louder than it is right now so my neighbors don't get angry at me. Thanks in advance!! Josh.

#2 ·
Get a cold air intake and a new compressor wheel. Either a Riffraff billet wheel or a wicked wheel 2. The Donaldson blue 6637 CIA is a great and budget friendly option also from Riffraff. You can also upgrade your exhaust. I have a 5" exhaust and the growl is awesome and not too noisy in my neighborhood if I take it easy, which I always do :)

#4 ·
I found replacing the factory muffler with a Walker BTM muffler brought out more turbo whistle.

The BTM is also less restrictive.

It might be an inexpensive option for you.

Someone posted a great price on an entire 4” exhaust system a while back and that would be another option for an upgrade.

#6 ·
I’ve never been steered wrong by this group. For me it was hard to believe at first, especially since I had never owned a diesel, but taking everyone’s advice last year, I replaced my muffler with the Walker BTM and there was no increase in noise level, but as Arctic said - now I can hear the turbo whistle.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Don,

Thats a great photo collection.

#10 ·
I would also recommend the PHP Hydra chip over the TS-6. You have a stock truck and the Hydra tunes from them are great for a stock truck. And as you upgrade you can get updated tunes via email from quite a few places without removing the chip and waiting weeks to get it back.

Reactions: mcnance865
#11 ·
Ditto to the Walker BTM, but on the stock 3.5" exhaust. I had a Wicked Wheel put on at the same time and it whistled like crazy. However, I later changed to a 4" exhaust with an Aeroturbine muffler (more open) and that whistle was mostly drowned out by the general exhaust noise.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
We don't need no freaking mufflers!!!
I just removed my OEM muffler & installed a straight through open pipe. While it IS louder, It seems to be mostly only if you step hard on it. But then I am in a state with no inspection required, (Florida), so the no muffler thing might be an issue for you.
One other thing you can delete (I assume you have it on your truck) is the big plastic Resonator box that's tied into the intake air system. It's supposed to be there to help quiet down the engine noise (as I understand it). But I think most folks remove it just to get it out of the way! One less group of clamps & hose's to remove when you are in there taking things apart. And if your a Van Guy like me you know every square inch of extra engine bay area you can open up is GOLD! With that removed you might get some turbo whistle feedback sounds? Or maybe I just hear it because of the straight pipe exhaust.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.