The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start out with the statement that all the new vehicles I have bought were in dealer stock and I know nothing about ordering a new truck.

I have been looking at the options for trading my older Ram (looking at the offerings of the big 3) and landed on the super duty as my next truck, and finally test drove a 2017 F350 DRW Lariat yesterday. It didn't have ALL the options I was looking for, but it was the closest I could find to at least get a feel for it. In talking to the salesman I have 3 configurations (2 are my only true options) to order to get what I want. Since I was 30 miles away from home, only Dually with decent options, the salesman wasn't too forthcoming with all the steps in actually place an order. He said it was $1000 to place the order, a few weeks later it will be queued for build, then once the engine gets installed they will lock in rebates and etc. However he never said when the price negotiation would take place, but said he could get me a better deal than my company partnership X-Plan price. When I asked about my current truck, trade-in evaluation and financing process; his only answer was to put my truck on Craigslist for 2K more than they would give me for it and I would have 2 months to try and sell it before the new one came in. It wasn't said, but was implied, that all the financing, trade-in type stuff would occur upon delivery. When talking to my wife about all this last night she asked me a simple question, am I sure? Well, No I'm not sure and why I'm posting here.

So can someone please detail out the full steps of the whole process/timeline for ordering a new truck?
We want the new truck by early June as we already have a cross country RV (5th wheel) trip scheduled for this summer, and we were told to order no later than 5 weeks from now to make that delivery date. So, we need to figure out what/how this is supposed to work so we don't get ripped off or trapped in a hole that someone who has never ordered a vehicle can get stuck in (dealer traps to get more money and etc.)

Thanks,
John P.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Each dealer is a little different based on how they want to handle it and how "nice" they want to be. I buy through a fleet guy, and I tell him the truck and options I want and he orders it. I pay invoice minus any rebates when the vehicle comes in. I believe rebates have to be what's available at time of delivery but not sure. My dealer usually doesn't require a deposit unless I was ordering something really weird, but I do have history with them. No financing or trade figures are secured until truck comes in. He will given me an aprox trade figure if i ask but they won't commit to anything due to values could change by the time the new truck comes in. Several times I have gotten a few thousand less by the time actually came in and deal was done. Its pretty much "here is the figures" and no negotiating, except for when they try and sell warranty!

The dealer can also do a search for you for other trucks available in the region. Auto trade also has a really good search feature that links most of the Ford dealers inventory so you might be able to locate something on there as well if you don't mind buying from a non local dealer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

The salesman looked for any Platinum 350 DRW'S in the region one was white the other was black and I will not get either color. My wife downright said, "white truck, uh, I don't think so"...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So based on the multiple IM's I got, bot positive and negative, thanks again for the help guys. I now have more questions than since it sounds like I am no longer set on what to order. This is giving me a bit of a headache as I don't want to do the wrong thing and be unhappy with my choice in the end.

Goal:
Trade my 10 year old truck that was bought before kids (7yr old and a 3.5yr old) for a truck more comfortable for LONG RV trips with our 5th wheel camper as well as can also haul our gooseneck car hauler (drag race car) and debris dump trailer.

My wife want's "the biggest truck so when/if we upgrade our 5th wheel, we don't have to worry about the truck being able to handle it" and in other conversations she says "I want to to be quiet and comfortable for the long cross country trips we take".

I though the 2017 F350 would meet these goals, but guys and salesmen are now trying to talk me into ordering an f450 stating it has similar comfy ride as the F350, but better for the longer trips and so forth. Either way, I would be looking for a Platinum packaged truck, so I would need to order it, but I have no local 450's to test drive and confirm if it's something we would like over the 350's we have test drove.

Back on topic of ordering, I guess I need to decide on what I really want to have first, then get into the ordering process. Again thanks for the PM's and thoughts, I never knew asking how ordering would work would open such a can of worms and so many people had so many different experiences with ordering trucks.

·
Registered
613 Posts
The process sounds about right for what I went thru with mine. Keep in mind, you should try to do some empty break-in miles before you start pulling the trailer, so the earlier you get the ball rolling, the more chance you'll have to do that.

As to trade - keep in mind the tax break you'll get with a trade-in. Your truck is worth $X and usually it is more beneficial for you to sell it outright. BUT...if you trade-in you only pay tax on what is left over after the trade in value is established. All the final numbers are done when you sign the papers after the truck has arrived. Figure the taxes with no trade and with the estimated trade-in value removed. That'll give you your break-even number - roughly.

You might also look into your own financing and if you feel comfortable, get pre-approved. It might be nice to pit your offer against what the dealer is doing. We got a better interest rate doing that.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
My wife want's "the biggest truck so when/if we upgrade our 5th wheel, we don't have to worry about the truck being able to handle it" and in other conversations she says "I want to to be quiet and comfortable for the long cross country trips we take".
I agree with your wife on getting one big enough to do the job now and in the foreseeable future. Both my wife and I like the creature comforts of the King Ranch while we're rolling up the mountains. I'm in a SRW F-350, diesel, long box with a 11,000 lb fifth wheel. (modest by most standards)

I though the 2017 F350 would meet these goals, but guys and salesmen are now trying to talk me into ordering an f450 stating it has similar comfy ride as the F350, but better for the longer trips and so forth. Either way, I would be looking for a Platinum packaged truck, so I would need to order it, but I have no local 450's to test drive and confirm if it's something we would like over the 350's we have test drove.
I seriously doubt you need a F-450 for towing, but let's see: I assume you're talking long box (for 5th wheel) and 4x4 DRW (only way 450 comes) in all configurations? If not, let me know, there are many, many options.

How heavy is your current trailer? I just looked at some big fat new rigs that came in close to 19,000 all loaded out, which is taking a whole house with you.

According to the 2017 towing guide:
F-350 DRW 4X4 - 6.7l diesel - 3.55 gears - crew cab has 27,300 lbs of 5th wheel towing capability.
F-350 DRW 4X4 - 6.7l diesel - 4.10 gears - crew cab has 31,300 lbs of 5th wheel towing capability.
F-450 DRW 4X4 - 6.7l diesel - 4.30 gears - crew cab has 32,500 lbs of 5th wheel towing capability.

These 6.7 powerstrokes make for trucks that are total beasts, unlike ANYTHING ten years ago. I used to change out air boxes, exhausts, and use tuners to get the power I needed/wanted.... Not an issue since 2011!

In either truck, the cab is the cab -- Platinum trim in either a 450 or 340 should be indistinguishable. "Better for longer trips", the cab is the same.

What makes a 450 is much more serious axles, rear ends, springs, brakes, suspension, and that stuff all adds weight to haul around. How many weeks a year do you spend towing, and what do you do with it the rest of of the time? If you're like me, it's a daily driver, and the heavy stuff underneath makes the ride stiffer, bouncier, and you pay for fuel to move it.

Just my two cents!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Chances are the 350 will cover you no problem and be more comfortable ride then the 450, although both will be pretty darn similar. The 450 does have a wide track front axle which gives you s tighter turning radius which can also help for maneuvering in tight spaces. This option has been offered off and on in 350s but at the moment I believe is 450 only. Other big thing to consider in 450s is that they run 19.5 commercial grade tires. This means less choices in tire options (especially in all terrain style) and stiffer sides walls at 110psi instead of 85. They also say rubber compound is harder so dont grip as well.

I just got my new 450 with the 19.5a but don't have enough mileage to know for sure yet. They do seem stiffer and a little more "riding on rails" then my 2012 that has the 17" wheels, but the rest of the suspension seems smoother. So rides similar just seems like a little less hugging the road and floats a little more. But not sure is this is the tires or just the redesign?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Sportscraft is correct on the tires on the 450--the 19.5s ride harder, grip less, but last longer than the 17s. I am on my 2nd 450, and will probably find a used 15/16 with the wide track option. To me, that is the one 'no compromise' on a truck for towing a fiver--the shorter turning radius is a great help in backing into tight campsites, not to mention u-turns in traffic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't been on this site much, so I let this topic go for a while. After multiple side by side test drives and going over pro's and con's of models, trims and options we ordered a 2017 F450 Lariat Ultimate. My wife was not interested in the KR or Platinum, and her vote counted, so we really opted out a Lariat. I should update my signature on this forum.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Congrats! So far I have yet to hear a complaint about those who actually own a 2017!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Our Lariat F450 arrived at the dealer yesterday. But we can't make it there to pick it up until 3 May. It's already paid for in full so they're just going to store it until we get there. The dealer sent pictures and a video of it and of course I couldn't sleep last night thinking and dreaming of it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Our Lariat F450 arrived at the dealer yesterday. But we can't make it there to pick it up until 3 May. It's already paid for in full so they're just going to store it until we get there. The dealer sent pictures and a video of it and of course I couldn't sleep last night thinking and dreaming of it.
Wow, so we might be seeing our trucks at about the same time, at least I am hoping for early May, no build date or delivery ETA as of yet.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Congrats! And I really hope you are very happy with it, since jumping from Ram.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I do believe you could break $100,000 on a really decked-out 450...

·
Registered
773 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, the slow waiting game us still on, just got the initial ETA of 5/21. So I may have the truck built this month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 43 Posts