The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my '97 I only put in a Pyro and Tran temp. gauge. My '99 will be used to and from work empty and pulling a fifth wheel in the summer on weekends. How important is a Boost gauge and what is the use for it. Knowing this my answer my question. A review of why the gauge is used would be helpfull. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

·
Registered
791 Posts
I use mine to make sure the turbo is working up to par because I have run it in the stock setting and with the tuner and taken note of the readings. If the readings ever drop off, I can possibly head off a problem with the turbo or perhaps see a leak in the system like boots needing tightened. Also, the turbo runs 16-18lbs. stock and with a chip, you can get to the 25lbs rating on the stock turbo in a hurry and you may want to back off at that point before getting a ses light.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Here's a senario of why you need a Boost Gauge:

Yer pull'n yer FW in the summer, up a hill/grade. Yer in the gear that you can maintain + or - 2600 RPM, you've got 15 to 20 lbs of boost built up and holding, yer EGTs are in the 8 to 950*, yer tranny is in the safe temp range.....

That means, yer make'n all the Horse-Power yer PSD will make (Top of the power curve), at the Boost pressure (Max >safe< boost) yer engine was was designed to make that power at, yer EGTs are within a safe range (no meltdown) and so is yer tranny (no parts on the road).... LIFE IS GOOD.

Take the Boost out of that equation ? you've lost one of the indicators of optimum engine performance. given the right/wrong conditions... you could over boost and set yer SES light, yer PCM will go into a De-fuel mode.... Loss of power (Jack Nicholson look)... Everything is relevent.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

JOE

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good to me. I think I'll put a Boost gauge on this one. I got the Evo in the mail today. I have to try it even though the gauges aren't in yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But I'll be carefull. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Don't do it! You'll regret it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The boost gauge is indeed a handy reference. If you're modded, you can use it to keep yourself out of the danger zone. If you're not, you can use it to check for leaks.

Either case, I use mine to make sure I don't push it too hard until it is warmed up. I also use them to try to maximize economy. When pulling away from a stop, I try to keep my 7.3 below 5 psi, and my 6.0 below 8 psi.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts