The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 ford f250 super duty 4x4 I live in the east, I am retired so don`t drive everyday, I am wondering how long I can leave the block heater plug-ed in, if it will hurt something leaving it plug-ed in, Thank you,

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
The heater is 1000 watts. It only harms your power bill. If outside temp gets warm then it might get hot enough to harm the plug but even that is long shot as that is a big chunk of iron and lots of coolant for 1000 watts to get very hot.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
The only thing that it hurts is your pocket book.

If you leave it plugged in for let's say 12 hours it will equal 12kw and let's say that you pay $1.00 per kw=$12 for over night. Now times that by 30 for a months worth=$360 a month.

That is why we recommend getting a heavy duty timer and set it to come on 3 hours before you need the truck.

But I usually don't even bother with that. I just rely on the glow plug system to get my truck going no matter what the temperatures here in Colorado

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Would it be possible for you to wire a light switch to the wall outlet you plug the block heater into?
That might make it easier to turn on 2-3 hours before you go into town.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Would it be possible for you to wire a light switch to the wall outlet you plug the block heater into?
That might make it easier to turn on 2-3 hours before you go into town.
It shouldn't be a problem depending on how things are
are wired, but you
you could always use a extension cord if needed

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It shouldn't be a problem depending on how things are
are wired, but you
you could always use a extension cord if needed

Thank You Men for the tips on block heater, God Bless one and all.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
The timer works great!! If I plan on driving in the morning just plug it in. If I change my mind no big deal, only ran for 3 hours.
DENNY

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
I can see the advantage to a timer when the truck has to be driven early in the morning since it is better than getting up at 2:00-3:00 just to plug the truck in. (Although as I get older I usually have to get up once during the night anyhow.)

But the advantage to the wall outlet (interior or exterior) controlled by the light switch is even easier than the timer for when you need the truck at random times.

Heck, these days there must be an App for your phone that lets you just tell Alexa when you need your truck and she will do it all for you...Lol

Back to the OP original question, if you are planning to leave it plugged in all the time then make sure to have the proper gauge cord for the length of extension cord you require (not too narrow) and try to choose an extension cord only as long as you need.

·
Super Moderator
25,187 Posts
There are gizmos that plug into the outlet that are smart phone controlled, but I don't know their amp rating. That would at least eliminate the need for you to go outside in your skivvies to plug in. :eek:

[on edit] here's a pair of them - rated 1875W. Link

1 - 9 of 9 Posts