The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just turned 100K on my '02 PSD and it got me to wondering, how long do these engines last before wearing to the point a complete overhaul has to happen.

99% of it is how the truck has been maintained. OK, here it is.

I've washed my AFE stage two religiously, and the intake pipe to the turbo is immaculate, sparkling black inside. No dust at all. I use Delvac 15W-40 in the warm months, and Delvac I in the winter. Change the oil every 5,000 miles.
Engine has a mild tune, but rarely whomped on, about 20% off road, the rest at 55-70 on paved rural roads.

I run a biodiesel B-10 to B-20 blend almost all of the time. Sometimes I'll toss a bottle of Redline diesel fuel supplement/cleaner through it.

The tranny was completely rebuilt under warranty at 35,000 miles. The dealer guy used a lot of aftermarket upgraded parts, clutches and I've got mild shift kit in it.

Got a 4" turbo-back system on it and I watch the pre-turbo EGTs.

Trying to decide to buy it out of the lease and keep it or not. Is this diesel beast good for 250,000 miles?

More than my old 460 gasser that got tired at 175,000?

· Registered
417 Posts
My '94 has 294,500 miles on it and the engine runs like new. The synchronizers in the transmission are long gone, and the steering components are starting to wear, but I expect to get at least another 200-300K out of the engine.

· Registered
977 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I just turned 100K on my '02 PSD and it got me to wondering, how long do these engines last before wearing to the point a complete overhaul has to happen.

99% of it is how the truck has been maintained. OK, here it is.

I've washed my AFE stage two religiously, and the intake pipe to the turbo is immaculate, sparkling black inside. No dust at all. I use Delvac 15W-40 in the warm months, and Delvac I in the winter. Change the oil every 5,000 miles.
Engine has a mild tune, but rarely whomped on, about 20% off road, the rest at 55-70 on paved rural roads.

I run a biodiesel B-10 to B-20 blend almost all of the time. Sometimes I'll toss a bottle of Redline diesel fuel supplement/cleaner through it.

The tranny was completely rebuilt under warranty at 35,000 miles. The dealer guy used a lot of aftermarket upgraded parts, clutches and I've got mild shift kit in it.

Got a 4" turbo-back system on it and I watch the pre-turbo EGTs.

Trying to decide to buy it out of the lease and keep it or not. Is this diesel beast good for 250,000 miles?

More than my old 460 gasser that got tired at 175,000?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch, you leased it?

It will skate to 250K /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

· Registered
1 Posts
I have 200K on my '95 F350 and it runs like it was new. Several years ago I ran into a guy filling his '96 and he had a 90 gal in bed fuel tank. He said he had 750K miles on his truck pulling new RV trailers from the mid-west to the Northwest. He says that the engine runs fine but looses a bit of compression. He trades them in at 800K and they still run good.

I take care of mine and expect it to last a long time.

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow...Thanks. I guess it's worth it.

The bugs have worked themselves out. At first, I was real disappointed with the problems it had, a tranny at 35K, several glow plugs, oil seals on the HPOP and turbo went, and several alternators. Other than for buying an aftermarket HD 200A alternator, it's been a pretty good truck the last, 50,000. Stronger than ever, starts right up, runs like a clock, pulls like a train and doesn't use a drop of oil.

Yes, I leased it, but my employer has paid me enough mileage to make the payments all along.

· Registered
857 Posts
It sounds like the motor is broke in finally. Between the Exxcursion and F250 there are just about 400K miles. Plan to keep both for several more years.

Seen several 7.3's with 300-600K miles and saw a picture of a speedo shot once of a 99+ Super Duty with diesel fuel only and 906K miles.

· Registered
317 Posts
Mine is at 214k and runs fantastic. The motor will out-live the chassis, and the chassis is hard to hurt too (leaf springs rock.)

I really think the doors will fall off before most (of course not all) 7.3s will need to be cracked open.

· Registered
612 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To some of us 100K miles would be like having a new truck again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

· Registered
859 Posts
haaa killer ...my 01 with 88.000 mi is considered new......now if only it was already paid for.......

· Registered
2,669 Posts
International specs the engine out at 400 to 500 thousand miles before major overhaul. (big stuff like rings, bearings etc).

Small parts like the turbo, HPOP, Alt, waterpump, etc etc fail when they fail. Could go 100k, could go 10 miles.

Trannies are their own ball of wax. OEM will fail sooner than a good aftermarket rebuild, but even a rebuilt can only handle the PSD power for so long.

My 2000 psd just turned over 71,000 miles. No engine problems, but I have gone thru a tranny, and a wheel bearing. Its towed a big load from seattle to new orleans, then back again 2 years later... overloaded...across the grand tetons... in summer. Truck has not been treated like a baby, but it hasnt been completely abused either.

There are several DOCUMENTED million mile powerstrokes running around. Most are freeway hotshot type trucks. They go thru injectors and glowplugs like candy, and a couple trannies, but still on the original block/rings/bearings.

· Registered
1,333 Posts
I guess I need to update my sig... I'm currently at 242,000 on a 99 7.3.

I don't tow with it, and haul occasionally. I just worry about putting a heavy load on it and having it suddenly show a problem.

· Registered
91 Posts
251K on my 2000....just now replacing hoses, etc. Been through about 3 water pumps, two new alternators, 3 sets of batteries, and am on 3rd set of Michelins. Also getting a new starter this week, it makes that "starter" noise every once in a while and I would rather not have to replace it on the road somewhere. All in all, at 6 years old and over a quarter of a million miles, it still runs great i and am hoping for a million miles out of the engine.

· Registered
440 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I have 250,000 on my 1993 buick lesabor and it still running strong lol... I just hope my PSD makes it past that since its not paid for and is at 144,000.

[/ QUOTE ].....if that buick has the 3800 motor then it should make 300,000 easy....those motors are bullet proof from what i hear....just bought a 91 olds, 88 royale with the 3800 in it..paid 600 cash and it has 134,000 on it....hopefully ill get a few more good miles out of it..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

· Registered
440 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have 250,000 on my 1993 buick lesabor and it still running strong lol... I just hope my PSD makes it past that since its not paid for and is at 144,000.

[/ QUOTE ].....if that buick has the 3800 motor then it should make 300,000 easy....those motors are bullet proof from what i hear....just bought a 91 olds, 88 royale with the 3800 in it..paid 600 cash and it has 134,000 on it....hopefully ill get a few more good miles out of it..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ].......btw....my 2000 model has 162 big ticks on it now and still runs like new...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

· Registered
2,218 Posts
Mech. friend services a fleet of 5 refer box trucks that total have over 2,000,000 miles, doing the math comes close to 400,000 each!! These trucks are on the road so much that if lucky they get the oil changed ever 25k+- miles. And with only a smattering of injectors, a few water pumps, and miscellaneous stuff I'd say they will last a long time even abused!!!
I have seen the service records....

Paul B

· Registered
109 Posts
I got about 140 on mine. only replaced little stuff ( 2 starters, alt., waterpump). The only major was my tranny. and that was my fault it blew up (tried to pull a boom truck out of the mud, didn't notice one outrigger was still in the mud.)

· Registered
146 Posts
I had a 95 f-superduty with 450,000 miles and one set of injectors org. turbo. Never had the heads off the truck either. Best truck I ever owned.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts