The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many glowplugs can be bad and the truck still start? I got the plugs on the Passenger side changed tonight before it got dark. I only had one bad one on that side. I check them as I pull them out by hooking them directly to the battery with jumper cables. Now I have one better one than before and it still wouldn't start. I had replaced a bad one on this side last year as well and it started like a champ. I put a used one in though, that's why I'm just replacing them all with brand new this year. I'm wondering how many I will find bad on the driver's side tomorrow. I would guess all of them. Also, can anyone tell me the torque on the plugs?

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Glow plug relay?

·
Super Moderator
6,330 Posts
Mine was starting with difficulty but with four bad and one unplugged (three working glow plugs).

CLICK HERE to go to the thread I started when I did mine in October of 2001.

Dave / Believer45

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not the GPR. I replaced it with a Stan-cor last year when I was having trouble starting and I verified it just to make sure. I also changed a plug on the passenger side at the same time last year because I had the valve cover off anyway. I didn't do the driver's side then. I finished replacing all of my plugs today and it turns out that 5 of them were bad (all four on the driver's side, one on the passenger's side). I have 8 brand new ones in there now so hopefully I'll be ok for a while.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
It's not the GPR. I replaced it with a Stan-cor last year when I was having trouble starting and I verified it just to make sure. I also changed a plug on the passenger side at the same time last year because I had the valve cover off anyway. I didn't do the driver's side then. I finished replacing all of my plugs today and it turns out that 5 of them were bad (all four on the driver's side, one on the passenger's side). I have 8 brand new ones in there now so hopefully I'll be ok for a while.
If you had 5 bad GP...your cold starting should improve now with new plugs :thumbsup:

Griz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts