The Diesel Stop banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
08 with 275,000 miles on it.....it is being repaired as I type. New HPFP and the HP turbo cut loose as soon as it had its new FP, now I'm doing the EGR and DPF delete, with a Rudy's Diesel package. We will see how much further this thing will go.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Wait, you're at 275k miles with no major issues (until now)?.. And you're just now deleting? Wow, that's pretty good.
How is the rest of the truck holding up? We have 2 08 GMC 3500's with duramaxes. They rattle like crazy and the motors go into limp mode more times than not.
Anyway, my 08 F350 SRW longbed is at 120,000 miles with no issues until now. She's going in for a new radiator.
I deleted the DPF and went with Mini Max at 98,000 and I pull a 43' toy hauler so she gets a good workout.
New brakes at 115k. Not bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2008 F350 6.4 King Ranch 108,000 miles
Radiator at 30,000 miles no warranty.
EGR Value, Egr Cooler
Crossover pipes
Both turbos
DPF/Cat delete
IT's been in the 50 days in the shop with no sight of it coming out anytime soon. All repairs out of warranty$$$$$$$$$$ If I had the cash I'd trade it in for a Dodge tomorrow. I need something to pull my travel trailer, this has been a nightmare.

·
Registered
15 Posts
had mine a year now ... other guy did egr delete wrong programmer he put new motor at 66,000 I got it at 101... 3th radiator.. water pump at 125,000 ... new radiator O-rings for all the hose's , thermostat's( pain in the ass) .. still have water drip from drain ... btw put a new radiator cap on asap .... best 10 bucks ever... dealer put new egr's and dpf and also new shocks and shock mounts . getting ready to do dpf delete and pipe this winter. empty and drive 60-65 I get 22-26 mpg ... drive 75-80 and I get 14mpg hook up the camp trailer (30ft bumper pull) and I stat getting 10-14 mpg

·
Registered
399 Posts
I bought my F350 new in July 2007...yep, it's a job 1. Since new, it's had a radiator and turbos replaced, and also had a block plate leak repaired. Other than this, it's been a great truck. Other than a 6" lift, the 37-13.50x20 Toyos and 4.56 gears, its pretty much original. It currently has 58,800 miles, most which was pulling my Toy Hauler or enclosed car trailer. I've kept my truck in a garage whenever it hasn't been used...it looks and runs like new.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Own a F-350 purchased May 2010. 92k miles today. Been work horse. Change fluids when required. No exceptions. From day one, installed tuner and dpf delete. No issues with transmission, EGR, injectors, coolers or engine. Running 585hp and 1200lbs torque. Average 19mpg. Used mostly for long trips and hauling 40' camper. Only issue has been constant replacement of Ford ball joints and tie rods. Finally fed up and changed over to a MOOG steering system. MOOG is too new to comment on durability but anything will be better than Ford ball joints. And still running original batteries. Worried in that I hear the 6.4L core cannot be rebuilt, and is best to replace complete motor. Is this International made motor a "toss away motor"? Hope not. Been a great truck so far. My Ford warranty expires July 2018 or 108,000 miles. Any recommendations to renew this?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Worried in that I hear the 6.4L core cannot be rebuilt, and is best to replace complete motor. Is this International made motor a "toss away motor"? Hope not.
Unfortunately the consensus is "yes"........

Regarding the ball joints, I'm at about 450K miles on my '07 and only replaced the ball joints once with OEM's. My '03 needed them early in it's life, my 99 & 04 were still fine at 100K when sold them. Not sure what the variable is that causes some trucks to eat them like potato chips.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Lost a piston on '09 at 207k--lost a piston on replacement '10 at 107K--traded truck at 152k for '17 KR. I am thru with 6.4s...

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
...Is this International made motor a "toss away motor"? ...
Unfortunately, the 6.4 is a problem. International kept building the 6.4 for ford only due to a law suit that Int lost to ford. Once they fulfilled their legal requirements to Ford Int trashed the 6.4 and went back and completely redesigned it. So none if any late model Int 6.4 parts will fit on the ford 6.4. I always said we will look back at the 6.0 some day the way we look at the old 7.3s.... We are nearly there now... If you have a dead 6.4 just do a cummins swap and be done with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was the first person that replied to this thread back in 2012. I'll share my insight on high mile diesel fords. Unfortunately the best ford truck I've owned had a v10. Bought it new, 230k not a single engine or trans problem great truck! At the same time I had a 2000 F350 7.3 bought it used, reliable engine no power compared to the V10. Transmission was going bad when I traded it at 80k. 2008 6.4 bought new, blew up twice and tons of problems $38k in warranty repairs the time I owned it, traded it at 150k. 2013 F350 6.7 bought new lots of problems blew engine at 140k traded it at 150k .
I'm neurotic about service and keep my trucks 100% stock. After the last two I'm done with Ford!!!!!
Now I have a 2017 Ram 3500 with Cummins I love it so far but it only has 25k miles, so time will tell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought my 2009 6.4 with 108k currently have around 165k on it. Small oil leak because of a dummy moment on my part. Deleted, and tuned shortly after buying. Still runs strong original brakes since I purchased. Needs new ball joints and tierods. But running strong can not complain. Use it for mainly towing and long trips. It has currently made the alcan highway trip twice and will most likely have a 3rd and 4th this summer when I go back up to bring the rest of my stuff back to Texas. Love the truck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bought the truck used with 132k miles on it. Deleted at 138k, now has 198k. I've had the truck for a little over 2 years now. Runs strong. Engine is a little noisier now when it's towing. It's a work truck that tows a dump trailer 3-5 times a week, weighing 4k-10k. When I drive it without a trailer, truck sounds really healthy. Very minimal blow-by, no loud ticking, just the normal stuff. Engine does have seepage around oil pan/windage tray, but nothing dripping on the driveway.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I bought mine new in July 2007. Just rolled over 64,000 miles...I use it to tow or haul and that's pretty much it. Since new, it had the radiator replaced, turbos replaced, and a leak from the block plate repaired. It is covered by Ford's ESP warranty for another couple years. I plan to extend that warranty before it expires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
26,000 miles.
08 f550
07/07 build

Radiator replaced.
Front body mount bushings replaced ( check yours!)

Runs tip top

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
08 F350 DRW at 195K. Engine replaced at 172K; dealer deleted the EGR at installation. I bought the truck in 2015 with 135K on it. Replaced water pump and radiator (Mishimoto with double capacity of OEM); installed the oil filter half kit to move filter under bumper and adds a cooler behind grill; replaced HFCM with AirDog and a sump. It's my EDR but since I'm retired most miles will be for vacation pulling the 5th wheel. Added a 60 gal tank to keep from stopping more than once a day for fuel.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts