The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, looking to buy a used truck for my son to haul his dirt bikes around and came across a 1999 F250SD 2WD, 7.3 with 229K miles. Waiting on some info from the seller to determine what kind of work he had done on motor about 100K ago when he spent 9K on it. He is asking $4000 on what looks to be a pretty clean truck overall. My question is what should be expectation be on how much more life this engine has on it. Will be driven light duty, rarely will tow anything other then a 14ft flat bed trailer. Anything in particular to look for or ask about on this engine and truck?

I know there is always a chance when you buy something like this, but just want some opinions. I have a 2008 F350DRW now but have heard good things about the 7.3 in the last several years since buying my truck. Thanks guys!:thup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
the 7.3 is a great engine but it all depends how it was taken care of?
you also need to have the trans checked and inspected the trans fluid. make sure
its red and doesnt smell burned.
Also u should have the front end checked.ball joints,hubs ext...
My f-350 has 316000 on it now and runs like a brand new truck so good luck

·
Registered
221 Posts
I bought my '03 7.3 F250 with 264,000 mi on it in Nov 2010, runs like a champ. The trans was replaced 50,000 mi prior to my purchasing the truck and other than a few very minor body (character) flaws it is a good truck, interior is in excellent shape. I replaced the left hub about 3 months ago

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I would try to get the truck hooked up to a scanner. Perform all the on-demand tests to see if anything comes up. If possible, the best way to get a feel for the condition of the engine is to get a compression check on all 8 and also the oil pressure (lpop). If bearings and rings are had, both will show it. Face it, the bottom end and compression are what counts. Bolt on items, such as injectors, turbo's, water pumps, etc are a standard maintenance thing. If it has a chip installed, I would really suggest getting the compression done. Too many red-light races doesn't help with longevity.

·
Registered
823 Posts
IIRC, the B50 life on a 7.3L (T444E) is 350,000 miles. Meaning, if you had a significant number of them, and maintained them properly without abuse, 50% of them would still be running after 350,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
my 02 now has 200k and i wouldnt blink about driving across the country,the 7.3 is probably the most reliable and durable engine produced by international.i would worry more about the transmission than the engine,imo

·
Registered
17,604 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
This is a pretty subjective question, but given perfect care for the truck's entire life, as well as other factors like use, climate, right foot control, tuning, etc, I would suspect anywhere from 400-700k is resonable IMO.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi guys, looking to buy a used truck for my son to haul his dirt bikes around
The motor in this truck is from a School bus. Why waste the money on maintenence (glow plugs, frontend parts etc.) and fuel for such a "light-duty" use. It is way too much truck for that IMO. Plus I would never consider buying a 2wd in this truck for camping/dirtbiking. The front is so heavy ! It will get stuck in soft sand and mud... it will be funny for your sons buddies not much for him (or you). Buy an older 1/2 ton 4x4 single cab long box. Just enough room for him and 2 chicks, 2 big coolers, gear and a couple bikes :lol: plus a 1/2 ton will cost as much as 4r100 you will need in a few months anyway :icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
985 Posts
I bought my '99 with 225,000 on it for 7500 and have been nothing but pleased! 260k on it now and no problems.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
It will probably go practically forever with just a 14-foot trailer with a couple of dirt bikes on it. However, if it is chipped to get extra hp, it will break the transmission pretty quickly unless you spend about $4000 to get a beefed up transmission that will handle the extra hp. Also, don't try to take it into soft sand or mud, because it will probably get stuck without 4X4.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Most SuperDuties are 4x4's, and they are better suited for heavy snow climates. Initial cost and fuel usage is higher, however resale prices are higher. Drive line problems on 4x4's are very expensive on the down side.

I bought my 2wd for the long run, and not had the first drive line problem. I'm setup to pull a travel trailer or mid size boat.

I figured for $5K lower price (than 4x4), I could pay for 70 wrecker calls to pull me out of the mud. So far, I've never been stuck in 9 years' ownership. I've never had a driveline problem, and this truck never had a warranty claim. I think a 2012 4x4 now is more like $7.8K more than 2x4.

All diesel SuperDuties are very good values--new or used. With lifespans of 400-500K miles common, one with 200K miles has more life in it than a new 1/2 ton gas truck. The 7.3 engine has been especially good, and is preferable over a 6.0 engine of mid 2003 or later.

·
Registered
301 Posts
powerstrokehelp's 7.3 shop truck "Spot" hit 790K before it threw a rod and it lived anything but an easy life while even posting numbers close to 800hp and even more tq. It has since received another rebuilt engine and will be good for another 700K miles. So yeah, with the proper maintenance you can expect miles as high as 790K or more if you aren't running race tunes, NO2, Propane, fueling mod, higher boost levels, and long periods of WOT burnouts, drags, and dyno sessions like Spot was doing.

·
Registered
985 Posts
If it's a clean truck, for 4 grand, I don't think you can pass it up if it all checks out and runs well! Even with an auto. I chose the route of a 2wd because it was a little cheaper, a little less maintenance, and would get a little better fuel mileage. I already have 2 4wd trucks too, so I didn't need this as my daily driver to be 4wd. Then I'd be tempted to play in it eventually, and break something lol. My ol '87 will be cheaper to fix than the super duty, I'm sure.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I bought mine from orig. owner in june of 05 with 102,298 mi.and put it to work hauling commercially campers,boats and horse trailers 19' to 40' in sept.05 as of today it has 905,112 mi. on orig.motor about 4 mths ago I went back to work for the city so i'm no longer over the road with it but,it still runs great and I drive it 4-5 days a week.It does not climb the hills with a big camper like she used to but,it still pulls fine since I'm not hauling for a living anymore I'm just going to drive it till she pukes then I will put the new crate motor in.A good friend of mine has 821,xxx mi.on his and he is still hauling comm.Good Luck! Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought my 2000 with 250,000 miles on it and havent had a problem with it all; it is my D.D and the grocery getter. We drove to lake jackson, Tx no problem ran like a champ. My dad's 99 5 speed with granny low has well over 300,000 miles on it and never had a minute of trouble.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Save your war stories boys, She already went to the honda dealer and bought a ridgeline.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Ridgeline...blech!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
ok....apparently someone has not shared the regulations with a few people.......honda and ridgeline are words that are not allowed here.......lol

Reactions: Jeff Heine
1 - 20 of 26 Posts