The Diesel Stop banner

How many miles on your 7.3??

29K views 44 replies 30 participants last post by  C Giannandrea 
#1 ·
I'm curious to hear from those of you with high mileage on your 7.3, so feel free to step up and do a little bragging! I am looking for guys that still have the original motor, and have not had to have an overhaul or something like that. Also, please feel free to include what maintenance habits have contributed to the engine's long service life.

#3 ·
LOL...did you mean 861,000 or 86,100?

#4 ·
140k, new tranny at approx 135k blew it out it was on its way out, new oil pan minor stuff

#6 ·
99 F250 cc bone stock with 308,877 miles. Tranny rebuilt twice. One @ 217,000 and the 2nd one @ 296,000. Worked hard and towed many a goosenecks. Have replaced usual: water pump,belts and other regular wear items. No secret to the maintenance, just regular oil/fuel filter changes and drive the hell out of it.

#7 ·
2001 F350 C/C = 178,000 miles. CPS and trans rebuild. Just change filters
1997 F350 C/C = 288,000 miles when sold. CPS, fuel pump, vac pump, no transmission problems and lots of towing.
2004 F350 C/C dually = 235,000 miles and still going strong but head gaskets, all 8 injectors and EGR cooler have all been replaced. Not a single hint of an issue with the transmission, pulls over GCW quite often and does it with ease.

#8 ·
2000, 359,868 and please lord, still counting. I need it to go a million!

I did put a BTS in it at 141k, a couple of water pumps, ball joints, ac condenser, and the funnest (NOT) repair was when it blew a fuel line on a sunday night with a trailer....

It has had the oil changed every 5k and I put power service in it about every third tank.

#9 ·
i have 325,000 miles on mine and it runs great. besides the average stuff like tires and batteries i have had to change the water pump, ball joints, and the rear end... gotta love them 7.3. when people make fun of me cuz im stuck while wheelin. i always say well once your vehicle has 325,000 miles on it we will talk. :icon_wink:

#12 ·
Only 69,000 miles. Preparing to upgrade to Fleetrite ELC and a coolant filter. If the new Scorpion is as great as they say it is, and if Ford starts offering a manual tranny, I may think about trying to convince the wife to let me get a new one.

Until then, I am happy - actually thrilled - with mine. I try to keep my eyes open for a spare engine and transmission to stash in the garage, but I have not found one yet...

#14 ·

just ordered a transmission from suncoast converters. with the bypass oil filter, i change the fuel filter every 5,000 miles and do a full service every 10,000 miles even the transmission fluid. i don't have any mercy on my truck and it's still ticking!

#15 ·
Hey all, thanks for the replies. This is really encouraging although not surprising. The replies above are the reason I wanted the 7.3. I hope to see the kind of mileage out of mine that you guys are getting. Mine's still a baby though with only 80k on the clock. I just put the AIS on it today as the first step towards making it go the distance. I'm gonna roll with 5k oil change intervals because I don't work it hard. I'm using the Motorcraft 15-40 oil w/Motorcraft oil filters. Have you guys had good luck with this oil?

#16 · (Edited)
Bought my 01 with 255K miles on her. Since I have changed oil once before summer and once before winter.. average around 5K miles between seasons... Change fuel filter before winter change. 7.3L has 279k miles on it. Stock H2O pump and fuel pump. New injectors were installed before I bought the truck. Stock Turbo... Last mechanic visit... all cylinders were showing good compression and turbo was still making good boost. Replaced CPS 2 summers ago. The Transmission is very tired, saving now for a BTS, then new paint and Turbo and Injectors... Then maybe a couple tunes from DP.

Stick with a popular name brand oil-Delo-Delvac-Rotella-Valvoline-MC. 15W-40 if you never really see cold weather... If you live in a cold climate ya might think about a 5W-40... Really helps with early morning cold startups. What ever U do, don't skimp on oil filters... Always spin on a Good Oil Filter... MY top 6... Amsoil-Fleetguard-M1-Wix-Baldwin-K&N--MC is right there as well. Clean Fresh oil is the life blood of this Great Engine.

Look into a coolant filter and maybe switch to Red ELC antifreeze... no need to add any additives after that.

#17 ·
There is another post like this wiht someone with 700K, but I can't remember if they had done a rebuild or not. I personally have just hit the 200K mark and plan to take it 600K+ without rebuild! I do my oil at every 5K, fuel filter every 15K. Just replaced the idler pully along with the belt. Then the new belt pointed out some other issues I'm gearing up to take on, I have a water/coolant leak somewhere (still looking for it) and my steering pump is on its last thread of life (please hold out one more week *Fingers crossed*)

Other than small stuff OUTSIDE the motor going bad this 7.3 and 02 F250 is an amazing combo of simplicity and reliability! Even when the motor finally does go 6 feet under I will just rip it out and rebuild. 7.3L for life!

#18 ·
My 02 has 859,000 miles, a friend of mine has 820,000 on his 02. Both trucks run synthetic motor oil, FS2500 by pass filtration, BTS Tranny's, and 6position Cale's burns. How about this little fact, my 02 broke down on the road the first time at 824,305 miles. A bad new replacement IPR was the problem. now that is why it is named 'Old Reliable".

#22 ·
113,000 miles. Replaced HPOP, Four batteries, and one set of tires. Paid for a long time. Really happy. Using Amsoil two-cycle oil in fuel to combat the low sulfur diesel.

#23 ·
My 2000 E350 Van has a whopping 12,100.00 original miles on it.
It's just breaking-in now.

It's my Florida Home Ride and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm running Amsoil synth. front to back

I have a 35 main tank and a TF 27 Gal. Aft Axle tank for 62 gal. total.

Just right to get me and my family out of Florida in case of a serious Hurricane.

#24 ·
Geez nice mileage.. i have 168,000 battleing a bad tranny, some wobbles, some rust and a drive line shake?... motor seems to be good.. im jealous of some of you guys haha

#25 ·
I've got an '03 with 125,000. My FIL has a '96 with well over 500,000 and an '02 with somewhere in the high 200,000's. He runs a roofing company and those trucks rarely move without a trailer attached. The abuse his trucks put up with is the reason I bought one over a Duramax.

#26 ·
Well it looks like nobody tops HighwayPrisoner so far. Do you guys think synthetic oil is a necessity to make it to 800k, or regular oil changed at 5k intervals?

#28 ·
I would say, a good bypass filtration to keep the oil clean, filtering as much as possible is a big factor. The driver is another big factor. I definately worked my truck, and has many modifications. The abuse was kept to a minimum, but sometimes it would teach a lesson or two. The best fluids etc. offer somewhat better protection for the long haul.

#27 ·
117K miles on truck, oil change every 3,000K with DELO 400. Clutch at 96K, ball joints at 112K, water pump at 50K, vacuum switch at 111K (fender mounted unit that changes heat vent position in cab), EBPV delete at 114K.

#29 ·
My uncle's '96 7.3 has 360,000 on it. It's been worked like a DOG it's entire service life and hasn't had any issues with the motor (although I think it's been through a couple trannys). All it's ever had done on it is regular oil changes.

#32 ·
That's incredible, but it's a gasser (believe it or not). You can tell by his oil type he is using and the triton logo that's at the bottom of his page.

#34 ·
Yea right, and Bill did not have sex with that woman.:nono:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.