The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many miles were on you guys' trucks when you took delivery. This only applies to those that ordered their trucks. Mine had 7 miles on it, just wondering how far they have to drive these things to go from Ford, to the train, and then to the truck.
Jerry

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.
Jerry

·
Registered
197 Posts
Mine had 48 miles on it when I picked it up at the dealership, and yes I ordered it. Had a note in it from Ford that it had been selected for a road test (or something like that) prior to delivery. I wasn't real happy with it at the time.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stan,
Thanks. I told my dealer when I ordered that once it was on the lot, that it was to be driven by no one. Pretty sure no one moved it once it was unloaded and prepped! I'm really really picky!
Jerry

·
Registered
143 Posts
I recall mine having 8 on it. But that was a year and half ago!

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Most product lines go on a roller dyno before leaving the line, then into the parking area, to the train, around the transfer area and onto the delivery truck. The dealer may need to take it around the block too. Your mileage may vary.

Working in the R&D department of the supplier industry, I was one of those that took vehicles like yours for a ride around the block. My personal truck also went for this type of run and I'm glad it did. The industry is limited by law of far an exemplar can go.

What happens is a group of technical people are selected from OE and suppliers to look for specific issues identified in pre-production, or concerns noted by the plant engineers after builds. A very specific route in the area is laid out away from traffic as much as possible which will encompass driving characteristics of one or more concern issues. With my experiences, it's with two people per vehicle.

The route has to be followed to the letter and everyone I have ever been with has always had great respect for these being a future customers vehicle. In fact if anyone observes you doing anything out of the guidelines you will leave through the plant gate immediately. The groups taking the vehicles out were generally 10 to 20 technical staff (engineers, managers) and we would do this for about 6 hours.

I mentioned that I was glad my personal vehicle was taken for an evaluation ride. Auto engineers are car nuts. While they may not be visible on sites like this, they build hot rods, motorcycles, formula racers, drag racers. My "road trips" were always brake related, but if there were any other issues we observed, such as transmission shifting, any NVH, steering pulls, whatever, that would get noted in the report and the vehicle would be repaired at the plant before getting to the transfer lot. There is only so much checking that can be done on an assembly line, and having two professional automotive enthusiasts personally check my vehicle is a plus in my book.

You've probably all heard a story by someone who stated they once had a ..... that ran like a scalded dog compared to other production vehicles. Doing those test runs one vehicle after another I can tell you that's true. If you are or know a motor builder, hot rodder or racer who has blueprinted motors, they will have told you they gained 30 ... 40 ... 50 hp by balancing and blueprinting. Despite all the computer automation what vehicles go through today, there is still enough tolerance stack to make a difference. When I buy fun toys these days, my first preference has become not the color of the vehicle, but how it runs on the test drive.

And look for that little sticker in the window. It means that vehicle had special QC testing.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
14 on mine when I picked it up. I was there when the service dept. guy kept driving it around and around until I went to the saleman and said enough is enough, I want my truck. Som***** was driving MY truck before me and I bought it. I'm not quite so possessive about my truck now. I let my wife drive it 5 miles a month.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You've probably all heard a story by someone who stated they once had a ..... that ran like a scalded dog compared to other production vehicles. Doing those test runs one vehicle after another I can tell you that's true. If you are or know a motor builder, hot rodder or racer who has blueprinted motors, they will have told you they gained 30 ... 40 ... 50 hp by balancing and blueprinting. Despite all the computer automation what vehicles go through today, there is still enough tolerance stack to make a difference. When I buy fun toys these days, my first preference has become not the color of the vehicle, but how it runs on the test drive.
I test drove 14 1989 Mustang GTs before I found ONE that impressed me. I bought it and drove it for 120,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Stan,
Thanks. I told my dealer when I ordered that once it was on the lot, that it was to be driven by no one. Pretty sure no one moved it once it was unloaded and prepped! I'm really really picky!
Jerry
it had to be driven by a tech as part of the pre delivery inspection before it can be sold :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
In 2002, I drove 10 PSD's before I found one that was way stronger than any of the others. On my 2008 V-10, I ordered it the way I wanted it from the factory so didn't have a choice, but it runs great.

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
As Jack indicated, a small percentage of new vehicles are pulled off the end of the assembly line each shift and go through a few miles of quality control (QC) testing. Most are run for only a few miles. But one out of a hundred or so are run for 20 or 30 miles or more - to allow all the operating parts to get completely warmed up before the vigorous part of the test is run. Those will have the letter in the glovebox stating the reason for the miles on a "brand new" truck. Consider that a good. That means that the experts checked out your truck to be sure it was perfect before it was loaded on the transport truck or train.

Even worse is the end of the engine assembly line. When I (along with about 60 other members of this website) visited the International Engine Plant at Indianapolis in 2001, every brand new 7.3L engine was hooked up to fluids and a load dyno and a bunch of computers. The engines were warmed up for only a few seconds, then reved up to about 2000 RPM and put to work - to be sure the HP and torque and other outputs were up to spec. Then they were reved up to WOT and load was applied to the dyno until the engine almost bogged down. The exhaust manifolds and turbo got red hot. If you did that to my truck, I'd shoot you. But International did it to every engine that came off the line. Now that's what I call QC! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
just picked mine up with 15.8 miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just picked up my F-350 on Saturday. Ordered on 28 Sept. 2009.
8 miles.

WALT

·
Registered
296 Posts
I had 13 on my F 450 KR.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My 99.5 had 50 miles when I picked up. Was a factory order and railed from KY to Fontana, CA. Dealership said I could wait until next week for haul-away, or they would be driving three units the next day. My choice.

I had been waiting 8 weeks for schedule, build, and transportation, so I told them to drive it out. Picked it up the day following. Depending upon where railhead is relative to the dealer, some will have employees retrieve, particularly if they don't have much else and don't want to wait for Ford's haul-away.

·
Registered
75 Posts
mine had about 27 kms on it, that's because i had bushwackers and a spray in liner installed and my sales guy had to drive the truck to the the two places.

·
Registered
56 Posts
mine had 40 miles on it when i picked up from the dealer. it was convoyed from the factory but it was not selected for a qc ride (no letter or anything from the factory).

is there anyway to tell if it was selected and they just didn't give me the letter?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts