The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 2000 F250 with 216k I’ve had the truck for about a year and lately I’ve been noticing a decent amount of vapor. There’s no rough idle or anything and I’ve done the oil cap float test and it doesn’t have much pressure. I guess what I’m asking is, is this something I should be concerned about?

·
Premium Member
14,747 Posts
Where are you seeing vapor? Just when the oil cap is off? If it doesn’t blow the cap off, don’t worry about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve got a 3/4 or7/8” hose coming from the ccv down under the drivers side door. I’m not sure if it comes stock like that? But it’s been that way since I’ve had it. Anyhow that’s where it’s coming from mostly but also a little from the dipstick tube and the oil cap.

·
Premium Member
14,747 Posts
That’s not how it comes. You’re dumping raw fumes into the atmosphere. Hasn’t been legal since the early 60s. The engine crankcase fumes should go into the intake tube where they are burned. Someone did the ill conceived CCV mod on the truck. Please undo it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I also have the "ill conceived" CCV mod.
I fabricated a catch can and mounted it up high. Line in at the bottom and out at the top.
Residual oil drains back to the crankcase. The hose runs along the frame rail to the end of the gas tank.
I did the mod after blowing off an intercooler coupler a while back and found the inside of the tubing coated with an oily film.

That reminds me...
...I should probably take out the intercooler and wash it out with degreaser.

·
Premium Member
14,747 Posts
So now that oily vapor is pumped into the atmosphere. They make oil resistant boots if the seepage was troubling, but the oily residue isn’t what caused the boot to blow off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know the vapor is going to atmosphere and I'm not saying that it caused the coupler to blow off.
I just found the inside of the tubing coated with an oily film.
This was the tube going to intercooler inlet.
I sprayed/cleaned it with degreaser and solvent before putting it back.
My thinking is that if the tubing is coated with oil then so is the inside of the intercooler.

When I pulled the tubing off to change my injectors, the tubing had no oil film.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What kind of a catch can did you use?
I made the catch can from a piece of 3" aluminum tubing about 4" long, (.060" wall).
Welded caps on each end and mounted horizontally behind the clutch reservoir.
the hose from breather connects low and hose out connects on top.
I'll try to get a pic later

·
Registered
63 Posts
I blow by people all the time in my 7.3, so I would say that a certain amount of "blow by" is normal.

Reactions: Interceptor7.3
1 - 10 of 10 Posts