The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like it says, how much coolant will i lose from replacing just the thermostat? I would guess not alot because its so high on the engine. My truck is an 01 F350 7.3

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
8,930 Posts
You guessed it, not very much on a cold engine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You guessed it, not very much on a cold engine.
Thanks man. Im doin my coolant flush today and switching to ELC. Only problem is, I have my thermostat but my housing and gasket are not here yet. But if ill only lose a little bit, then ill just install the thermostat assembly later on and top off.

·
Premium Member
8,930 Posts
If you want you can even drain some out of the radiator into a clean bucket and then just poor it back in when you are finished.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you want you can even drain some out of the radiator into a clean bucket and then just poor it back in when you are finished.
But ill still lose what comes out during the thermostat install right?

·
Premium Member
8,930 Posts
If you drain some out of the radiator what is in the block will also drain down through the lower radiator hose.

·
Premium Member
8,930 Posts
I never really have.

The idea behind draining the radiator down some is the same as if you have a hose. If both ends of the hose is at the same level then the water will be at the same level in the hose. If you raise one end up higher where there is now more pressure on that side then water will flow out of the other side.

But most of the time when I have changed out a thermostat I'll loose a little as you break the seal of the O ring when you pull the housing off. But as I also said it is on a cold engine. There may be some in the upper radiator hose.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never really have.

The idea behind draining the radiator down some is the same as if you have a hose. If both ends of the hose is at the same level then the water will be at the same level in the hose. If you raise one end up higher where there is now more pressure on that side then water will flow out of the other side.

But most of the time when I have changed out a thermostat I'll loose a little as you break the seal of the O ring when you pull the housing off. But as I also said it is on a cold engine. There may be some in the upper radiator hose.
thanks bud

1 - 9 of 9 Posts