The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

First, I know this post is a bit long. Short version is I messed up installing my DPF delete, my truck wouldn't even try to start, and H&S saved the day, helping me cure the problem. Over email At MIDNIGHT. H&S Rocks, their product rocks, and I wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone! Now for the full version.

After several battles with the infamous 11B23 flash, and coming to the end of my EPP Extended Warranty, I decided to take the plunge and remove the DPF. After weighing the options, I chose a H&S Performance MiniMaxx tuner and Diamond Eye DPF/DOC delete pipe.

Just because I could, I ran the MiniMaxx for a few days before I was able to get around to pulling the DPF/DOC (the fact MiniMaxx works with and without DPF, works on other diesels (Chevy/Dodge), doesn't require me to reinstall the sensors and works with other people's tunes is what sold me). After loving the power gains, etc, I jumped into the DPF delete project. Plenty of WD-40 and the occasional use of a hammer, and the DPF/DOC was out and the new pipe in!

I immediately jumped into the truck to back it out of the garage. It's late at night, but just enough time for a shakedown drive. I thought to myself "Tuner installed - Check. Pipe installed - Check. Everything buttoned up - check", and started up the truck. After 10 seconds the truck went to "Clean Exhaust Filter mode" and began belching smoke. Oh NO! I'd forgotten to RE-program the truck with non-DPF tunes! And now it won't even TRY to start!

I quickly do the non-DPF programming, and try to start it up. Nothing. Truck still won't even try to start! I'd read the stories here and on other forums about folks having to have their trucks towed in and flashed over again because they didn't buy a tuner or didn't install the tune first, so I knew I was in a jam.

This is where H&S earned my business for some time to come. I email them with a "oh, no! What do I do now" email. Keep in mind, it's almost midnight at this point. Casey from H&S replies in within MINUTES, and says to re-install the non-DPF tunes AGAIN, and wait 45 minutes, saying
"The factory tuning is designed to lock out the starter for 45 minutes, so if this doesn’t work, let it sit an hour and we can go from there. If all else fails, I can show you how to jump the starter to get it working again, but that would be a last resort. I am leaving for the night, but keep me posted and I will be glad to help again first thing tomorrow morning."
I'm absolutely flabbergasted that he replied, much less so quickly and with suggestions to HELP. My dealership and I aren't exactly friendly over the 11B23 issues, and they're the only game in town. So the prospect of me having to uninstall everything, deal with them over why my truck's dead and why there's WD-40 sprayed all over the DPF sensors and pipe had my totally stressed out.

So I followed his instructions, and let the truck sit all night. The next morning, it fired right up! Casey saved my bacon. Big time. If this happens to you, do the non-DPF tune install, and wait for the 45-minute timeout. Then try again. It's not necessary to tow your truck to the dealership to get back to factory. I didn't even KNOW about the 45-minute timeout had Casey not told me. Thanks for the late night support Casey, and if someone from H&S is reading this, give that man a raise!

-1-ton-
'08 F-350 SRW LB, King Ranch, S&B, Diamond Eye DPF/DOC delete, H&S MiniMaxx, BuckStop Bumper, Warn Winch, too much fuel, not enough cash.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ive been thinking of doing a tune and dpf delete , But not sure of what to get . After doing some searching on these forums and after reading this post It's a no Brainer H&S is the only way to go there customer support is untouchable,

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've been thinking about doing it with the H & S tuner myself. I'm kind of scared because I only have 12,000 miles on my 2010 6.4. I know two people that did it with close to the same miles and the same truck. They love it and are getting great mpg. I worried about voiding the warranty.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've been thinking about doing it with the H & S tuner myself. I'm kind of scared because I only have 12,000 miles on my 2010 6.4. I know two people that did it with close to the same miles and the same truck. They love it and are getting great mpg. I worried about voiding the warranty.
I have a H&S also and am very happy with it,but in my opinion,you should try to keep your warranty to avoid the huge repair bills that may be coming down the road. Don't be tempted to go tuner/delete now just to experience leaving Dodges and Chevy's behind at a stop light,loaded or not........or to blow black (can we still say that?) smoke down the lungs of that moron that is tailgating you.......or to accelerate quick enough to keep that car from trying to cut you off......or to embarrass the Dodge Challenger R/T next to you who you just left behind in a black(can we still say that?) cloud of EPA defying,radioactive,carcinogenic,lung clogging,eye reddening,mouth drying,choking,all American,sooty,visually impairing,anti-Obama,CO2 emitting,WMD,belching black(can we still say that?)flak exploding cloud of death! No. Don't be tempted.

Let us know when you do the delete..........................

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad it worked out for you. EGT13 is what you bypass to start it.
Thanks Senix! I knew there was an EGT you could bypass, but I wasn't sure which one (which is EGT13, anyway? Before the DOC, before the DPF, or after the DPF?). Can it just be jumpered, or you HAVE to use an EGT probe? Wasn't sure if it was a continuity thing, or a ohms/resistance thing. I also have read how notorious the EGT's are to get out, and figured I'd spend several hours removing one from the stock pipe. But I was on my way to do that when I got Casey's response. Waiting the 45 minutes seemed the easier path... :lol:

As for considering voiding your warranty. That was a big deal for me, too. I was down to two tuners:
Option A: Banks because it's 1) DPF-friendly, and 2) a signal modifier, and when removed is impossible for a dealer to know was ever there. Senix and Smotrs and others will attest to this
Option B: H&S because 1) it's "DPF Friendly" and 2) later will work with DPF removed and 3) because it will work with Cummins and Duramax if I need it to.

Banks would require "stacking" tuners for non-DPF use, and I didn't want to deal with that. Most other tuners aren't really DPF friendly to begin with, or they don't work on all three major diesel platforms. That's why chose H&S, but if I'd known about their support, that would have sold me to begin with.

-1-ton-
'08 F-350 SRW LB, King Ranch, S&B, Diamond Eye DPF/DOC delete, H&S MiniMaxx, BuckStop Bumper, Warn Winch, too much fuel, not enough cash.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Thanks Senix! I knew there was an EGT you could bypass, but I wasn't sure which one (which is EGT13, anyway? Before the DOC, before the DPF, or after the DPF?). Can it just be jumpered, or you HAVE to use an EGT probe? Wasn't sure if it was a continuity thing, or a ohms/resistance thing. I also have read how notorious the EGT's are to get out, and figured I'd spend several hours removing one from the stock pipe. But I was on my way to do that when I got Casey's response. Waiting the 45 minutes seemed the easier path... :lol:

As for considering voiding your warranty. That was a big deal for me, too. I was down to two tuners:
Option A: Banks because it's 1) DPF-friendly, and 2) a signal modifier, and when removed is impossible for a dealer to know was ever there. Senix and Smotrs and others will attest to this
Option B: H&S because 1) it's "DPF Friendly" and 2) later will work with DPF removed and 3) because it will work with Cummins and Duramax if I need it to.

Banks would require "stacking" tuners for non-DPF use, and I didn't want to deal with that. Most other tuners aren't really DPF friendly to begin with, or they don't work on all three major diesel platforms. That's why chose H&S, but if I'd known about their support, that would have sold me to begin with.

-1-ton-
Pre DPF. Use the jumper wire on the passenger battery that is how. Risky though...be sure of yourself that you don't have a true meltdown going on.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
>>>2) a signal modifier, and when removed is impossible for a dealer to know was ever there<<<<

Huh? You've never seen a PCM report have you?

They can tell what you had for lunch last Saturday and what time you ate. How many regens have ever occurred, operating temps on several key things, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
>>>2) a signal modifier, and when removed is impossible for a dealer to know was ever there<<<<

Huh? You've never seen a PCM report have you?

They can tell what you had for lunch last Saturday and what time you ate. How many regens have ever occurred, operating temps on several key things, etc.
Fair enough. I should have said "much more difficult" rather than "impossible" in regards to a tuner vs a signal modifier. I respectfully propose we not turn this into another who-knows-more-about-diesel/computer technology war like the 11B23 thread. Sound reasonable?

1-ton

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sounds like another resounding excellent H&S report. I love my H&S programed 6.4.

Don't forget, there are new tunes available online and they are much cleaner tunes than before. It almost doesn't smoke at all, and I like that!

The H&S customer service is on par with what I get with USAA. Anyone who knows USAA would know how much of a compliment that is. If I saw Casey or someone from H&S at a restaurant, I would buy their meal in a heartbeat.

Good people and good company.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Whew, thank god for this post. I just did the same thing you explained and am about to blow a gasket when the truck didn't start. I guess this will give me a chance to shower and get something to eat before taking it for a test run. Thanks for making that mistake too!

·
Registered
77 Posts
This just helped sell me on the delete and H&S. Well this and that I have spent over $1000 on repairs, place to stay for the night and lost work all from 2 cheap EGT's going out a year apart from each other both times when I was out of town. At least I can say the dealer was great (yes, same dealer each time too.) Apparently my truck does not like Auburn, CA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I been thinking of deleting my dpf and putting an edge evolution tuner in my 08 f-250 but I'm not sure because I've herd deleting the dpf is illegal , I's there a way I can still put the tuner and keep my dpf , but still roll coal

·
Registered
502 Posts
I been thinking of deleting my dpf and putting an edge evolution tuner in my 08 f-250 but I'm not sure because I've herd deleting the dpf is illegal , I's there a way I can still put the tuner and keep my dpf , but still roll coal
Yes you can install a dpf installed tune. No you can't still "roll coal" :lol:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
About 110000 miles on my MiniMaxx--only one problem, wouldn't start after Ford tech disconnected the tuner to use their computer on the truck. Call to H&S fixed that immediately. Ironically, I was at the Ford dealer in St George, UT, at the time--guess where H&S is?
Joe

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a over 4 decades of experience in working on cars but I am a newbie to Diesels, (so be gentle with me, LOL), and this thread is very relevant to what I am about to do to my 2008 F350 Super Duty DRW 6.4 4x4 so any advice would be greatly appreciated here, (if any of you guys are still following this forum).

I bought the Dually used with 380k miles on it. The good thing is that the Engine was rebuilt 30k before I bought it and the manual transmission was rebuilt 3k before I bought it by a shop up in Durham NC that specializes in diesel performance. So basically the drive train isn't even broke in yet.

The previous owner had the DOC/DPF removed and a section of pipe welded in where it was, along with a muffler located just before the pipe went over the rear end.
I bought the Banks Big Hoss Bundle for this truck and have already started the install with the Cold Air Intake and Inter-cooler.

I am now looking at getting a test pipe, race pipe or whatever to fill the gap left by the missing DOC/DPF because the Banks exhaust does not come with this because it was designed to utilize the factory DOC/DPF.
Because of the missing DOC/DPF, I have not installed the Banks exhaust, Sixgun, wiring harness or IQ 2.0 yet.
With that said, the truck runs strong so it is obvious that the factory tune has already been modified to ignore the missing DOC/DPF.

What recommendation do you have for me to proceed here?
1). Do I get a Race Pipe and ignore the sensors or should I go with another type of pipe that incorporates a bung for the sensor(s)?
2). What else, (if anything), do I have to consider in order to run the Banks IQ 2.0 System without the DOC/DPF installed?
3). Is there anything else that you can think of that I also need to do to the truck in relation to this install?

4). Upon further inspection, (and much to my happy surprise), it appears that an EGR delete has already been done using Elite Diesel Components parts but they did retain the original EGR pipe, (just blocked off and/or unhooked all unnecessary stuff). Should I go ahead and get an aftermarket EGR delete pipe or stay with the factory pipe?
note: the aftermarket pipe is inexpensive, (about $35 bucks), makes for a much cleaner appearance under the hood, would likely flows better as well, and is a "purdy" blue so I will probably just get it anyway, LOL.

Like I said, I am new to the whole diesel thing but have a lot of wrench time on most gas vehicles. I also have a very well stocked set of hand, air, and power tools as well as Gas, Arc and wire feed welders at my disposal, so I would appreciate any advice you people might have.

Thanks,

Dave...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts