The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original owner with 72K miles on it. I got it Bulletproofed in 2018 and is my boat and FJ40 towing vehicle.
My daily driver to work is a Mazda so the 6.0 doesn’t move much. I’m going to start driving it every other Sunday to work (66 miles each way) because there is no traffic on Sunday.
Is this enough to keep the engine lubricated and in good shape?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Nice looking Ex.

Reactions: ctenosaura

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
These things are made to be driven. When you don't drive it for two weeks, the lubricants drain down, and then when you start it, there is more wear until the lubricants get circulating again. It all depends upon finding a compromise between what is convenient for you and what is best for the engine. If you drive it more, then the engine will last more miles. If you drive it less, then the engine will last fewer miles.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I would think that drive would do just fine. It is not only the engine but tires/brakes/seals/batterys/most everything would benefit from the occasional drive. Oil change by time instead of miles driven would be appropriate. I like the battery tender ideal also.
DENNY

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Your drive is almost 7000 miles a year. That isn't bad. Pretty much what I am doing now days. With it being mainly highway miles and very few starts/stops, it sounds pretty good to me.

In my mind, if you started adding more miles that included start/stop style driving, or short distances driving where the fluids weren't even fully heated up, then that would be detrimental.

·
Premium Member
9,550 Posts
While I have a 7.3 that pretty much sits in my garage I will take it out once a month for a good drive. I'll make sure that it is up to temperature for a good ways before I put it back to bed.

I also have a battery tender on it that is plugged in all the time while my truck is in the garage. I'm down to around 5000 miles a year on it and once a year oil changes.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have never understood the notion that diesels need to be driven regularly. When they are driven they need to be driven enough to thoroughly warm them up - I'll buy that. There are however 100s of thousands - probably millions - of pieces of construction machinery and farm implements across North America which sit for 2,3, 6 months and then get started, worked hard and then parked again with no ill effects. I worry far more about my gas engines sitting where the gas evaporates leaving varnish to plug jets or worse, turns to something resembling home made wine than I do about any of my diesels. I have battery disconnects on all my equipment which sits for extended periods with the exception of my trucks. They also sit through the winter more or less unused but I manually disconnect the batteries.

Use it when you use it - make sure its up to operating temperature before you shut it down. Keep the batteries topped up or disconnect them. Be happy.

Reactions: DENNY

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree, it need to be driven some or at least let it sit and idle and get up to temp. As many O rings that are in those engines and any 1 could cause a no start. When they aren't lubricated they can get dry and cause issues. I would rather have one with more miles thats been maintained over 1 with few miles that just sits. I don't know if I would use synthetic though because I have seen issues doing so. Those injectors run off of oil pressure and over time the Teflon in the oil can build up in the injectors causing problems with the injectors themselves.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
232k miles. All but 10k miles of it on synthetic oil. Still on the original injectors. Synthetic oil is not an issue.

You can't easily (if at all) get the engine fully warmed up by simply idling. Maybe if you installed the high idle mod. I am not a fan of idling a 6.0L just because you don't drive it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was just giving my opinion because I have seen synthetic oil cause injector problem with my on eyes on several occasions in our shop and yes a 6.0 can reach operating temperatures just idling, we do it all the time to make sure everything is good and monitor several engine pids as it does. This helps with diagnostics. It's not gonna warm up quick but it does warm up. I would prefer driving to keep the engine lubricated but people that just use their trucks a few time a year to pull a boat or camper always have issues and should at least run them if they aren't gonna drive them.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
He's driving it weekly. He'll be fine, even if he uses synthetic oil.

·
Premium Member
9,550 Posts
Unless you have a AIC or a way to step up the idle speed then idling will more than likely cause more problems that just letting the engine sit.

Reactions: klhansen and bismic
1 - 14 of 14 Posts