The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a 2001 powerstroke. my friend told me about adding a potentiometer onto my truck. however he is always busy and doesn't have the time to show me. how would i go about putting it on? he recommended a 10k. i've got a ts 6 postion already. are there any disadvantages or opinions on putting this on also?

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
i've got a 2001 powerstroke. my friend told me about adding a potentiometer onto my truck. however he is always busy and doesn't have the time to show me. how would i go about putting it on? he recommended a 10k. i've got a ts 6 postion already. are there any disadvantages or opinions on putting this on also?
Potentiometers are basically a variable resistor. If you are wanting to add it like a 10k mod you could run two wires to your dash from the ICP Senor and mount it there. The nice thing about doing with a potentiometer is you can adjust the settings. You could run settings from 4k to 15k depending on your mood. I doubt you would notice much of a difference if using your chip too. The 10k mod changes the ICP output reading to the PCM/IDM causing them to put out more oil pressure to the injectors, your chip is probably already doing this same thing.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Where the 10K mod is noticed most is off idle to about 1600 RPM. Most chips do not change this area in order to maintain a more stable idle and better control low RPM smoke.

Make sure when you run the wires to the pot., that they are insulated to prevent chafing. If the wire breaks, the ICP sensor will drop the signal to the PCM and the PCM will use a default ICP value as a means to get you safely off the road. (Limp Mode) The truck will still run, but not too well.

The long and short of it is to take the signal wire from the ICP, cut it, and tie in the potentiometer (or 10K resistor) which will go in series like this.

[ICP sensor] ------- [Potentiometer] ------- [PCM]

The signal line from the ICP sensor is a Dark Blue wire with a Light Green tracer (stripe) on it. It goes to pin 87 of the PCM, if you should be so inclined to splice it closer to the firewall.

Good luck. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where the 10K mod is noticed most is off idle to about 1600 RPM. Most chips do not change this area in order to maintain a more stable idle and better control low RPM smoke.

Make sure when you run the wires to the pot., that they are insulated to prevent chafing. If the wire breaks, the ICP sensor will drop the signal to the PCM and the PCM will use a default ICP value as a means to get you safely off the road. (Limp Mode) The truck will still run, but not too well.

The long and short of it is to take the signal wire from the ICP, cut it, and tie in the potentiometer (or 10K resistor) which will go in series like this.

[ICP sensor] ------- [Potentiometer] ------- [PCM]

The signal line from the ICP sensor is a Dark Blue wire with a Light Green tracer (stripe) on it. It goes to pin 87 of the PCM, if you should be so inclined to splice it closer to the firewall.

Good luck. :D
Hi There I’m trying this POT installation on my 2003 T444e 7.3 I installed the Pot in series on the signal wire. I then noticed I had no power to open the door on the bus. I found a 10 Amp fuse had blown. I did this twice. I was using the diagram of the PCI plug that shows the signal wire return location. Not sure what but to try one of the other wires coming off the pCI.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thank you
Mo

·
Registered
381 Posts
Did I miss something on this subject? There are other sections of this site with all sorts of
"How to add an AIC" information. After studying lots of the options (the easiest being suggested to just buy the AIC unit off eBay) OR building your own with a selection of switches, relays & potentiometer's, I decided to design my own little box. But it seemed that to do this project it was necessary to cut or tap into the wires down at the GO pedal.
This included the IVS (Idle validation switch) & the TPS (Throttle position sensor).
Now in reading the posts in this thread I am getting the impression that all I need to do is locate this Dark Blue w/ Green Trace wire that goes to/from pin #87 on the PCM and cut the wire and install a potentiometer (in series) and this will cause an idle increase when operated by changing the ICP output reading to the PCM/IDM causing them to put out more oil pressure to the injectors ?????
What am I missing? Can it really be THAT SIMPLE? Or are we talking about some OTHER 7.3 year or not even a 7.3 that has no IVS or TPS that must be dealt with to accomplish this idle control??? Seems we are talking about a 2001 power stroke. Doesn't that imply it must be a 7.3 diesel with the same TPS & IVS that I have in my 2003 E-350?
OR is this about how much safety and ability to turn it on or off ONLY when parked...
If I have just a POT in series on that Dark blue pin #87 wire, What happens when I am driving down the road and (somehow) that knob sticking through my dash gets accidentally rolled?
PS. I never did get around to installing my home made AIC unit. :9

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Is the 10k mod to achieve a totally different objective than the AIC???

·
Super Moderator
25,641 Posts
Is the 10k mod to achieve a totally different objective than the AIC???
Yes, the 10k mod alters the signal from the ICP, causing the HP oil pressure to be higher than stock.
AIC - Auxiliary Idle Controller that just lets you set a fast idle speed for whatever reason you choose. The DIY AIC is a replacement for Ford's controller box that was available as an option. Had stuff like charge protection and PTO operation.

·
Premium Member
9,063 Posts
Yes, the 10k mod alters the signal from the ICP, causing the HP oil pressure to be higher than stock.
AIC - Auxiliary Idle Controller that just lets you set a fast idle speed for whatever reason you choose. The DIY AIC is a replacement for Ford's controller box that was available as an option. Had stuff like charge protection and PTO operation.
If we could just get the old FAQ's back we would have something to reference to for these mods.

I'm glad that I have a couple of copies of Steve Baz's site. He had a wealth of information on that site. I even have a PDF copy if you are interested.

·
Registered
381 Posts
OK...Higher oil pressure for the injectors. And why do we want that? Is this for at idle? Or is this supposed to give some better injector performance at speed/highway or towing help.
I don't have my 7,3 diesel hat on right now......Maybe I never had one! LOL
I'm not a mechanic & try to spend as little time digging into my 7.3 as possible. Between all the Mods. & upgrades I forget what does what to what system...IPR vs. ICP vs...
Just trying to understand when or why having the higher oil pressure (over stock) is a benefit to the injectors.
PS: Thanks for replying................... DDT

·
Registered
381 Posts
Bugman.... I would be interested in the Steve Baz's .pdf!
I remember seeing some of that stuff but didn't expect it to go away as it seems to have as web site (evolves).
Can it be posted here or do you need further info about/from me?
DDT

·
Premium Member
9,063 Posts
I posted it before but here it is again. The PDF isn't as nice as what his web site was or a actual copy of his information, which I also have a copy of. I knew that it would come in handy.

I should say that most of the information from Baz's Site pertains to the 94-97 trucks but there is still a lot of information that will carry over to the 99+ years of trucks with the 7.3 engine since there were not many physical changes made.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,641 Posts
If we could just get the old FAQ's back we would have something to reference to for these mods.
I'm with you on that. Lots of good info there. Unfortunately the Powers-that-be haven't put any priority on that. :(
OK...Higher oil pressure for the injectors. And why do we want that? Is this for at idle? Or is this supposed to give some better injector performance at speed/highway or towing help.
The 10k mod boosts oil pressure throughout the rpm range, but it works best off-idle. Idle tends to be a little rough.
Higher oil pressure helps atomize fuel better, so you get more power. It's the poor man's chip.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thanks Bugman.....That's a lot to read!
Thanks klhansen. ....Now I get it.
DDT

1 - 13 of 13 Posts