446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found the codes to get coolant temp for my 7.3L out my Scangauge II xgauge:

TXD: C410F1221139
RXF: 046205110639
RXD: 3008
MTH: 00010002007F
Name: ECT

Here's the catch, and why I don't think scanguage advertises the code: The signal changes resolution part way through the warm-up and the math can't be triggered to change with it. It's really simple tho, below 127F it reads 2x the temperature, so as the vehicle warms up the reading is double until it reaches 127F. I.e., during w/u the gauge will read up to 254, then when crosses 254 it will switch to actual temp and drop to reading to the "actual" 127F, after which it remains accurate.
I punched this one in this morning, and verified it works on my xgauge.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
How did you figure that out? I'm pretty sure you didn't just punch in codes until it worked.

What else might be buried in the codes that we could use?

Mike

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did you figure that out? I'm pretty sure you didn't just punch in codes until it worked.

What else might be buried in the codes that we could use?

Mike
Definitely not, found it using the google machine. :lol:
I'm sure there's plenty more stuff lurking in there...

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
There are a number of things that I would like to use but have yet to figure out the code for it, and there are things that it reads that I would like to remove..
What was the web site that you find this at, because at the scangauge site it is not all that helpful.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are a number of things that I would like to use but have yet to figure out the code for it, and there are things that it reads that I would like to remove..
What was the web site that you find this at, because at the scangauge site it is not all that helpful.
I found it on some random ford truck forum (not this one). Most of the useful information will *not* come from the manufacturer's site, especially if it has a minor quirk, like the coolant temp does.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish mine would work consistently for me...
Just curious, since you've had several gauges, have you swapped the cable?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
How do you enter codes? Or because my van is an early 99?

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
How do you enter codes? Or because my van is an early 99?
You have to have a ScanGuage II, and it must have the X-Guage feature. The early ones couldn't be programmed. I sent my SGII back and for $25 they upgraded it for the X-Guage feature.

Mike

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Thank you. do you remember what turn around time was? & someone told me tranny temp can be read now?

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Bork,

Turn around wasn't bad. But, it was a couple years ago so I'd be guessing at a week? or 2?

Trans temp works on the 6.0's. Not sure if it will work with the 7.3. The ScanGuage site:

http://www.scangauge.com/support/pdfs/XGAUGE.pdf

Isn't clear if it will work.

Good Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
434 Posts
Trans fluid temp works on my sgII.

I at one point had the sheet of xgauge commands. Scan gauge sent then to me when I asked a while back.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Everything you need to know here:
ScanGaugeII - Add-A-Gauge
The xgauge manual and codes, how to get your scangauge upgraded to xgauge, etc.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Bump:) I need a quality obdii gauge in my rig. The scangauge looks like the one to go with, especially with xgauge data for the 7.3 for the following.
FORD 7.3 L Diesel
GAUGE
Injection Control Pressure
Fuel Pulse Width
Mass Fuel Desired
Volume Fuel Desired
Engine Oil Temperature
Exhaust Back Pressure
Manifold Air Temperature
IPR Duty Cycle

If you figure that the standard enhanced ford stuff can get you this
Torque into torque coverter (ft lbs)
Barometric Pressure (inches of Mercury)
Cylinder Head Temperature (deg F)
Transmission Fluid Temperature (deg F)
Converter Speed Ratio

Fuel Pump Pulse Width (Bank 1)
Fuel Pump Pulse Width (Bank 2)
EGR Duty Cycle
Fuel Pump Duty Cycle
Fuel Level
Torque Converter Line Pressure
Transmission Output Shaft Speed
Transmission Gear ratio
Fuel Pressure (if no FPR)

It seems like a VERY useful tool. (I'd mess with the bold functions.) I'm just wondering if there is any small stand alone style gauge that comes close to this other than the drewtec that cost $500+ (but is sick)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I found the codes to get coolant temp for my 7.3L out my Scangauge II xgauge:

TXD: C410F1221139
RXF: 046205110639
RXD: 3008
MTH: 00010002007F
Name: ECT

Here's the catch, and why I don't think scanguage advertises the code: The signal changes resolution part way through the warm-up and the math can't be triggered to change with it. It's really simple tho, below 127F it reads 2x the temperature, so as the vehicle warms up the reading is double until it reaches 127F. I.e., during w/u the gauge will read up to 254, then when crosses 254 it will switch to actual temp and drop to reading to the "actual" 127F, after which it remains accurate.
I punched this one in this morning, and verified it works on my xgauge.

No activity here for a while, but just tried this on my '99 Powerstroke Super Duty. My SGII is an earlier version (3.15). These codes work! Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I monitor ECT and EOT at the same time and the vary independently so I don't believe ECT is somehow inferred from EOT. While they tend to be close, ECT responds much quicker to heavy loads like climbing big hills in the summer while EOT remains unchanged for the most part.
It's open for debate if the 203 T-stat helps or not. I run the oem T-stat. If you are going to replace it though, do yourself a favor and have a billet housing on hand to swap for the lousy OEM one that has a tendency to warp and leak.
http://www.dieselsite.com/blackbilletaluminumthermostathousing.aspx

·
Registered
422 Posts
O.K 505live:.... I was pretty much figuring on the housing also from what I have learned here on the STOP. Considering how important a piece of info the ECT is I would think Linear Logic would be happy to include it on their (codes page). Even if it does not work perfect, it works close enough. They don't have a problem adding disclaimers about not all codes will work for all vehicles & the like. Hope I will not be wasting time & money with the 203 T-Stat. Seems a LOT of guys are doing & recommending it. Just need to make sure I get the correct one like the (dieselsite.com link) tells about with the long stem and the bypass circuit that works correctly for my application. I hear slight MPG increase & better cabin heat as advantages along with INTERNATIONAL designing this engine to run with that T-Stat...
Wonder why Ford opted for the lower temperature? Maybe trying to lean towards the safety side of maybe other peripheral items like say a slightly smaller radiator or some reason like that. They must have had a legitimate reason for making that decision. Well, legitimate could also include a supplier of 195 degree T-Stats at .01 cents less than someone else. Maybe I just (wonder) to much! DDT

·
Registered
422 Posts
I recently picked up the Scan Gauge 2 myself. It really seems like the most bang for your buck! So far I am very happy to be getting all the extra information I was not getting with just my Three Idiot gauge needles provided by Ford. (Oil , Water and Volts). Now at least I know it's 14.2 volts and 175 degrees ECT... Which by the way 505Live, THANKS for those codes for the water temp. It works just like you said, Starts out high & makes it to 254 degrees and then crosses right down to the correct 127 & continues up from there to about (with my vehicle and the Ford OEM T-Stat) 175 degrees top I have seen so far. Will probably be getting the 203 degree T-Stat as my next (mod). Here is a question if anyone is still reading this... I thought I read in a post somewhere that there really wasn't a (true) ECT sensor in this vehicle (2003 E-350). That the PCM just gave some kind of estimate based off the oil temp. or something like that. Does that seem right to anyone that knows? There is the (idiot needle gauge) on the dash but I believe I read that it really only picked up (or) showed 3 positions. Cold, Normal, and Overheating. Am I really getting digitally accurate readings now with the Scan Gauge? Is whatever sensor that is supplying info to the PCM giving these very precise readings now? Was it just the Ford supplied dash gauge that just wasn't capable of displaying the more accurate readings that the Scan Gauge can? Does anyone know where the sensor for ECT is located? I have also read that lots of you are using a 3/8ths block drain plug tap to install your aftermarket probes. And some are (tapping) into water hose's so they are getting the hottest reading they can. Just wondering where and how I was getting this number from the OBDII Port & the Scan Gauge? ........ DDT

·
Registered
130 Posts
I recently picked up the Scan Gauge 2 myself. It really seems like the most bang for your buck! So far I am very happy to be getting all the extra information I was not getting with just my Three Idiot gauge needles provided by Ford. (Oil , Water and Volts). Now at least I know it's 14.2 volts and 175 degrees ECT... Which by the way 505Live, THANKS for those codes for the water temp. It works just like you said, Starts out high & makes it to 254 degrees and then crosses right down to the correct 127 & continues up from there to about (with my vehicle and the Ford OEM T-Stat) 175 degrees top I have seen so far. Will probably be getting the 203 degree T-Stat as my next (mod). Here is a question if anyone is still reading this... I thought I read in a post somewhere that there really wasn't a (true) ECT sensor in this vehicle (2003 E-350). That the PCM just gave some kind of estimate based off the oil temp. or something like that. Does that seem right to anyone that knows? There is the (idiot needle gauge) on the dash but I believe I read that it really only picked up (or) showed 3 positions. Cold, Normal, and Overheating. Am I really getting digitally accurate readings now with the Scan Gauge? Is whatever sensor that is supplying info to the PCM giving these very precise readings now? Was it just the Ford supplied dash gauge that just wasn't capable of displaying the more accurate readings that the Scan Gauge can? Does anyone know where the sensor for ECT is located? I have also read that lots of you are using a 3/8ths block drain plug tap to install your aftermarket probes. And some are (tapping) into water hose's so they are getting the hottest reading they can. Just wondering where and how I was getting this number from the OBDII Port & the Scan Gauge? ........ DDT

In the 7.3L PCM data stream there is no meaningful ECT value and a normal data logger will show a -40deg since that value data location is basically blank or has a dummy value in that location AFAIK. The ECT temp output is sent directly to the instrument panel which does the conversion for the instrument panel gauge. I'm not sure what the Scan Gage is reading, but the OEM T-stat is a 193 or 195 and normal engine temp should be in the 190 to 195 range so if you're reading something lower that tells me something is flaky right there. I have both the AutoTap and AutoEnguinity code/data logger systems and neither will show a meaningful ECT. I have been running the 203 deg T-stat for close to 10 years or when it first was available from Bob along with a real ECT gauge and my normal temp is 200 to 205 except when not towing and in very cold temps where it struggles to get much above 195 deg.

Larry

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.