The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,977 Posts
You could still have trash in the line from tank to transfer valve causing a restriction. Cheers!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
UPDATE": I drained a good amount of fuel from the bowl a few mins ago and poured some into a clear jar to see if there was any water floating as Bugman suggested. No water, but there was black sediment and what I'll call crud in the fuel. I gather I have dirt/sediment in the tank and it has plugged a line or a screen somewhere. Is the next logical step to bring it to a shop and have the tank removed and flushed/cleaned and check for plugged lines while they're at it? Are there other screens/filters to look at that I can do myself without having to drop the tank? I thought to simply replace the fuel filter, but the Fuel Filter light only comes on when I'm using the front tank.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sounds like you are going to have to drop the tank to me. Trying to flush it is a waste of time in my opinion, for as cheap as the tanks are to just replace.
I would defiantly drain the whole bowl and clean it as best you can and replace the filter and NOT use that tank until you resolve the issue. Personally I would not drive the truck until I cleaned it all up completely before you do damage. However if you do not have other vehicles to drive you got to do what you got to do.
Your call on if you want to take it on to fix it. Not that hard to do but it will take time and basic mechanics tools.
AND FOR THE LAST TIME! Check that WIF light. It was not your problem this time, but trust me it will get you one day.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sounds like you are going to have to drop the tank to me. Trying to flush it is a waste of time in my opinion, for as cheap as the tanks are to just replace.
I would defiantly drain the whole bowl and clean it as best you can and replace the filter and NOT use that tank until you resolve the issue. Personally I would not drive the truck until I cleaned it all up completely before you do damage. However if you do not have other vehicles to drive you got to do what you got to do.
Your call on if you want to take it on to fix it. Not that hard to do but it will take time and basic mechanics tools.
AND FOR THE LAST TIME! Check that WIF light. It was not your problem this time, but trust me it will get you one day.
Great advice, and for sure, I parked it and will get on it with a friend next week when he's available to help. Thanks again for your input!

Reactions: 1997VAstroker

·
Registered
'79 F350 xlt extra cab 7.3 auto dually. Stock. 240,000. Bought new.
27 Posts
UPDATE": I drained a good amount of fuel from the bowl a few mins ago and poured some into a clear jar to see if there was any water floating as Bugman suggested. No water, but there was black sediment and what I'll call crud in the fuel. I gather I have dirt/sediment in the tank and it has plugged a line or a screen somewhere. Is the next logical step to bring it to a shop and have the tank removed and flushed/cleaned and check for plugged lines while they're at it? Are there other screens/filters to look at that I can do myself without having to drop the tank? I thought to simply replace the fuel filter, but the Fuel Filter light only comes on when I'm using the front tank.
I put in a new tank, $90-$100, and a new pick-up foot. You should do both of those things. I also replaced my filter housing because I couldn't get all the rust and screen parts out. $250 (Motorcraft, with filter) That one is optional, but you need to replace the tank and foot. That "sediment" is rust from carrying around 10 gallons of water. It won't go away.
Good day.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I put in a new tank, $90-$100, and a new pick-up foot. You should do both of those things. I also replaced my filter housing because I couldn't get all the rust and screen parts out. $250 (Motorcraft, with filter) That one is optional, but you need to replace the tank and foot. That "sediment" is rust from carrying around 10 gallons of water. It won't go away.
Good day.
That's the best option. I fully agree. Is there anything else I will need other than the new tank and pick up foot?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts