The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while i was replacing my FICM i checked some of the known problem areas on the injector harness and the main harness. didn't find any bare wires and im not having any issues yet but i can easily see in the problem prone ares the flat spotting, chaffing, pinched areas in the harness.
now what do you do to prevent future problems? i thought about wrapping some friction tape around the worn spots. maybe even use some tie wraps to help support the areas but like the spot under the air box, there is no room. the harness is being flattened because there is not enough room. wrapping the area with friction tape would make the problem worse by making the harness thicker.
ideas?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
while i was replacing my FICM i checked some of the known problem areas on the injector harness and the main harness. didn't find any bare wires and im not having any issues yet but i can easily see in the problem prone ares the flat spotting, chaffing, pinched areas in the harness.
now what do you do to prevent future problems? i thought about wrapping some friction tape around the worn spots. maybe even use some tie wraps to help support the areas but like the spot under the air box, there is no room. the harness is being flattened because there is not enough room. wrapping the area with friction tape would make the problem worse by making the harness thicker.
ideas?
Stemming from problematic fuel injector harness failures on early production engines, the harnesses were updated in 2004. The harness should have reasonable protection and retention to keep it from developing problems. Unless you have a 2003 or early 2004 truck you really should be okay in my opinion. I would also think that most of the early engines have had the harnesses replaced by now as well.

But, do inspect it and re-wrap any areas that look ragged and secure the harness away from intake manifold bolt heads, especially studded ones that should have a rubber cap on them to prevent chafing. The part of the harness that runs underneath the turbocharger inlet tube is always a little flattened and should be considered normal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts