The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past, I have had belts that start squeaking. After verifying it was not a pulley, I had replaced the belt and the squeak went away.

Lately, my current belt has been squeaking again. So last week, I replaced the belt and now it squeaks worse. This morning I tried hitting it with belt dressing and it got way worse. Gets a little better when it gets warm but I cannot stand having the truck sound like it has crickets under the hood.

I have looked closely at all the pulleys, including alignment, and they all seem to be fine and where they should be.

Any ideas?

· Registered
516 Posts
I dont think its the belt, it could be the vacume pump, AC, or the alternator. In the past my noises have been in the puleys. How long has it been since you had a new pulley on the belt tensioner.

You might try pouring a little water over the pulleys while the truck is running and see if it stops for a moment. The only problem is that even if it stops its hard to tell if its the pulley that you poured the water on or one of the others

· Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put a new dual tensioner in about 2 years ago, but like I mentioned, the squeak got way worse when I hit the belt with belt dressing. I don't see how it could be a pulley if it changes by spraying something on the belt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

· Registered
1,424 Posts
I agree w/ Mozz, its probably an accessory creating the noise, however, if it is not try holding a stiff wire brush against the belt while the engine is running to clear off dirt/debris, after that, hold a regular bar of hand soap and let the belt pass over it. This may sound like a classic wive's tale and I'm laughing with you, but it does work.

· Registered
159 Posts
If it is the belt soap will stop it. Probably an accessary though. You might try an automotive stethoscope.

Steve

· Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
94strokerace,

Thanks. I will try the "brush and soap" trick.

Last night I tried spraying some different things on the belt. I tried belt dressing again. The belt dressing makes the squeak MUCH worse. Then I tried water with a small amount of dish soap in it, Armorall and electrical contact cleaner, one at a time.

I realize that some of this stuff may not be good for the belt but this squeaking is driving me nuts.

Each of the things I sprayed on the belt made the squeak go away for about a minute or so. As soon as it would dry up a bit, the squeak would come back. When I sprayed stuff on the ribbed side of the belt, I would get allot more change than when I sprayed stuff on the flat side of the belt.

Hope the "brush and soap" trick works. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

· Registered
136 Posts
I had the same issue several months ago. Mine was squeaking so I replaced the belt only for it to come back worse within a week. After using a spritzer bottle of water to check all the pulleys and the wire brush trick and brake cleaner and cleaning all the pulleys with a drill with wire brush and soap and water. It still squeaked. The whole problem was the tensioner!! From years and years of use it'd gotten worn into one place and wouldn't add the correct tension to the belt. Replaced the tensioner and solved it. Try the tensioner.

· Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, tried the "brush and soap" trick and it made it a little better. It does not squeak at idle anymore but is still doing it when under any amount of acceleration.

Just for the record it is a Napa brand belt. I talked to my local Napa parts guy and he is more than willing to let me exchange it for a brand new one at no charge but could not find a direct cross to a Goodyear brand belt but has another Napa one in stock. He was going to research the Goodyear belt some more for me.

My tensioner, (dual), is less than two years old had seemed to have plenty of movement and tension when I put in the new belt about a month ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

· Registered
136 Posts
Invader1 .... sorry I have no experience with a dual tensioner setup. Think I've seen it somewhere but can't remember. Just thought I'd share what I found on mine. The description was identical. I would definately get the belt swapped out after putting all that belt dressing on it. That stuff will flat out ruin a belt. Once you use it you have to keep reapplying it. Good luck

· Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. All the pulleys turned freely, but belt still squeaked. Tried soap, and belt dressing. The works got so gummed up from the dressing that I had to clean each pulley individually. I used a piece of the old belt with shop grade paper towels and carb cleaner. Cleaned all the pulleys, new belt (napa) and all good. no more squeaks!!!

· Registered
392 Posts

· Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: How to quite a squeaky surp belt? (UPDATE)

Took the old, (about a month old), Napa belt out and got a new Napa belt. Same exact part #. Cleaned all the pulleys with BrakeKleen and a wire thooth brush. Installed the new belt and no more squeak!

We'll see how long it stays quite.

Thanks for all the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.