The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Whew!

That was a stressful operation. Not being able to see the darn thing until you get in there and get the heat shield sleeve off was a pisser...I like to see what the goal is before I start doing surgery. I made the mistake of using a 1/2" socket which was way too fat. Wound up putting it on the milling machine, gouging out the inside, trimming it down to 2.25". Another trick was to wrap the universal with duct tape so that it wasn't as floppy. Getting the connector back on was down right miraculous...I temporarily taped the heat shield and other connector back to get them out of the way, carefully positioned it somehow and got it home with a long screwdriver...sure sounds easy looking back, but at the time was very stressful. Looking back I would gladly pay the dealer the $500 they wanted...I hope it lasts another 50k miles.
~J

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't get discouraged!

This task will seem impossible at several points...Another tool you will need is a long skinny screwdriver to carefully push the connector back on after you've oriented it correctly without being able to get your fingers within 6" of the damn thing...Also don't drop the socket back behind the heat shield! The ductape helped hold the socket to the universal and the extension. GET A 3/8" drive socket not a 1/2"!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.