The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Ok, I just attempted this nightmare!!!. I read everything I could from different forum posts. I had my game plan and tools and was willing to give this a try. I have never done any work on a diesel. My mechanic experience is spark plugs, brakes, filters, etc. So I was a little hesitant, but wanted to save the 230.00 of labor the dealer wanted to charge me. Purchased the updated ICP sensor with harness for 140.00 on eBay.

It took me 4 1/2 hours to do. Some of the things I struggled with were

The Degas bottle, I removed the passenger side tube and then basically moved it to where the air filter was on the side. That seemed to work fine.

FICM - That damn thing has bolts in the tightest places. Plus removing the electrical connectors was nerve racking. Its like do I squeze on them or put a flat head on them to get them disconnected. There is a clip you can press that releases them, but its tough, not a lot of room there. After I got that off, I then removed the bracket, again tight quarters. I then removed the two back glow plugs connectors.

At first I'm like where is that damn ICP at, I see this heat shield down there and I'm like oh great, am I going to have to cut that. I grabbed some needle nose and pulled on it and the heat shield sleeve released and pulled back and now I could see the ICP.

I was able to remove both connector barely with my fingers, since the conector was on top. This was a relief, mine looked good so I didn't use a new wiring harness that I bought with the ICP.

So my biggest issue was, getting my damn cut down 1 1/16 6 sided socket on the ICP. For the life of my I couldn't get it on. It wasn't lining up and I wasn't getting the right angle. I played with this for about an hour. The problem I was having is that this heat metal shield was barely touching my socket from the side, so I wasn't getting the best angle to put the socket on. I then went under the truck and see if I could remove the heat shield. After about 30 seconds, no freaking way.

So this was a big help for me. I took a golf shaft, but you can use some pole and basically pounded the heat shield back about a 1/2 to a 1nch away further from the ICP. After doing this, I then had no issue putting on my socket, plus it gave more room in the area. I removed the ICP and then replaced the new one with the 3/8 gas line tube from Auto Zone. That worked great, just remember the tube goes on the inside. Took me a bit to figure that out. I thought it was being pulled over the top. I know, I'm a DA.

After tightening it down, I then put on the ICP connector the other sensor and I thought I was good and realized I forgot to put back on the heat shield sleeve. So I had to remove the connectors again.. Now I was getting ++_ing pissed. Got them removed heat shield sleeve in place and put back the connectors one. I'm just praying that I haven't pulled some wire loose from the connector.

Put back on the glow plugs, FICM and was nervous about those connectors. I hope they stay. I just worry about when your pulling on them or pushing on them etc.

Then had a fun time getting that ### air cleaner box back in.

I tried to ask if somebody new how to clear codes. So I didn't worry about this. I figured what the heck, go for it and see what the engine light does.

I then went and started it and it started right up. The engine light went right off and seems to be idling great and took it for a spin and seems a lot better.

After about 4 hours, I wasn't sure if saving the money was worth it. I'm still 50/50 on it. My hands all bruised, getting off and on the truck a million times. Just keeping my fingers crossed that all the connectors stay that way, because its seems the problem is fixed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.