The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im kinda new to the 7.3L psd world, only got it in april, and was only able to start it (ex-ambulance) in summer. When it hit 50 degrees last month it wouldn't start. Now it goes down to 30 degress at night and i havent even tried to crank it. Can i just plug the block heater for a few hours and try? Is the heater enough to warm it in 45 degree weather?

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Yes the block heater works great and should really help starting in below freezing weather. HOWEVER a 7.3 should start without block heater help at 0 degrees. If it won't start at 50 degree you have problems. Even without glow plug use the 7.3 should start a freezing temp (32 degrees). So do a search on how to check your glow plug system. If it won't start at 50 degrees I suspect you have problems with batteries, alternator, or starter. Check each one before you just start throwing parts. A simple search will turn up lots of good posts on how to check each system/part. I have done a -20 degree cold soak start on a 7.3 without block heater use. It was not happy but it did start. DENNY

·
Registered
499 Posts
Here's your link. Make sure you don't have old oil, your batteries are fully charged/good, that all electrical connections are good, first. Then follow the instructions here Hard/No Start? Check here first.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
I will never try to start a cold diesel engine without making use of the starting aids like the glow plugs, even when the temperatures are fairly warm.

I won't even plug in the block heater until the temperatures are on the negative side of 0

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I would test the battery, battery cables, alternator, and check the serpentine belt. Also, the starter could be getting weak. If the batteries are getting weak, they will not turn the engine fast enough to start it. Also, change the oil to synthetic oil, which has lower viscosity when it is cold. Yes, plugging in the block heater for a couple of hours may warm it up enough for it to start, but if everything else is working properly, it shouldn't need it until it is much colder.

·
Registered
White '99.5 F250 SD XLT 4x2, 7.3PSD, 6spd, SuperCab, Short Bed - purchased Oct'05
1,558 Posts
A bad starter will kill good batteries. Bad batteries will kill a good starter. The 7.3 likes to be cranked fast not slow. Something that I've done for many years now that I believe has paid dividends is installing a trickle charger under the hood then getting a 2 into 1 3-prong 15A adapter that allows both the charger and block heater to be plugged in. My truck is always plugged in at home but usually its only the trickle charger attached, only adding the block heater when defrost is going to be needed.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I simply don't winter start anymore unless it warms up to around freezing and then I always use a block heater overnight. However, when I did winter start my diesels, something that helped a bunch was battery blankets. A battery loses a bunch of (like up to half) its power if it gets cold enough. The other thing that helps is a pencil heater in the oil pan to keep the oil warm. I also run 0/40 syn year round. If you're going to start a diesel in cold weather you simply can't go too far to make it easier on the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts