The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
To answer everyones question about not having upfitter switches and doing this mod. What you would have to do is install a toggle switch somewhere on the dash. Then apply battery positive which can be found at a blunt cut wire behind the diagnostic connector. This wire is hot in the run position and the color is white/Lt. blue. This will tie to one side of your switch. To the other side of the switch you would apply to the PTO otput to raise the engine speed to 1200 rpm stable. Or tie it to the Battery charge wire to have the engine speed vary between 1200 and 2400 dependent on battery voltage. The wire colors are: orange for the PTO enable and Purple/Lt.green for the Batt. Charge enable. To change the idle speed while using the PTO mode you would connect a 10 turn 1/4 watt 45K ohm pot to: PTO V ref which is a orange/red wire and the other side of the pot to PTO rpm which is orange/yellow wire. Jump the third connector to one of the other terminals on the pot so that the resistance falls as the pot is turned clockwise. I have not tried this to see if it is true but this is how the chart list the resistance on the link below. When the pot is at 43k you will be at 1200 rpm and as you decrease the resistance the speed will raise to 2400 rpm. If there is anything that does not seem right about this please post. I am going to try it tonight. Please refer to the link below for further clarification. Thanks for the good stuff guys.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q108.pdf

·
Registered
34 Posts
To throw some things out there about wet stacking. I have a 2004 f-350 service truck for work. When i am on a job site in the winter it will not be uncommon for me to let my truck idle at base speed for 4 or 5 hours. The extent of the wet stacking would be a sizable cloud of white smoke when you leave the site and put the truck under load. It will smoke for about a 1/2 mile or so. The white smoke is the unburnt fuel in the exhaust system. We have a truck that had a PTO on it and idles to 1200 rpm for the compressor and the crane. This truck idling high for a few hours will still blow some white smoke when you leave. I think that really there isn't much of a difference with the idle elevated. It deff. keeps the truck warmer. I have inspected the exhaust manifold for any signs of fuel or goop dripping at the end of the day and it seems fine. I have seen people set up exhaust brakes to close at idle to force the engine to build higher exhaust gas temps to prevent wet stacking. We have a few cat C-9's in the bigger trucks that they do this to and it seems to work alot better. I think the brake is only closed part of the way. Well end of the story i have 165,000 miles on my truck and it has idled for extended times. The engine still runs great and has not needed any major service. I hope that may clear up any issues. please post to add or coment on this. Thanks guys

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.