The Diesel Stop banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
my 06 6 0 doesn't have the upfitter swiches because i have the factory trailer brake system so i guess i need to install a rocker switch with a 12v power source connected to the proper wire?

·
Registered
312 Posts
my 06 6 0 doesn't have the upfitter swiches because i have the factory trailer brake system so i guess i need to install a rocker switch with a 12v power source connected to the proper wire?
I know this was old but for anyone reading this the trailer brake can be matched with an up fitter switch I got mine for 105$ on ebay with the harness and fuse block

·
Registered
8 Posts
How to: 05-06 High Idle (AIC/SEIC/BCP)

I have a '03-6.0L.. Is this mod only for the 05 and up? Will I need to buy the Ford AIC module? The artical refers to a factory upfitter switch, since I do not know what this is, do I (if this mod is possable on the '03) purchace an aftermarket toggel or rocker? just wonder since the only part mentioned is the butt connector. If this mod is available in the '03, can I use a DTSP type switch to achieve BCP or SEIC, therefore getting the best of both options. With a variable potentiometer installed with the SEIC cerquit, I could adjust the rpm's as needed (ham radio amp).
:read:

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you hook it up to the Battery Charge Protect (BCP) circuit, the computer will monitor the battery charge levels and adjust the RPM accordingly.

You only need the pot if you are using the SEIC.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have an '04, and haven't seen anybody respond for pre- '05s owners. I looked through a wiring diagram I have for 2003.5, and could not find any signals for BCP or SEIC. All I can find is PTO. Will the PTO signal function the same as BCP or SEIC? I also read SEIC locks the torque converter, will locking the torque converter hurt anything if you don't actually have a PTO?

·
Registered
45 Posts
did the mod today. some good tips on this post. i didnt have switches stock, my dealer could not find the part number for the harness, so i bought the complete set-up off e bay from heller ford. came with detailed instructions and also an insert about the mod.

·
Registered
85 Posts
From this post, it seems like the high idle is not standard on these trucks. I have a 2005 6.0, and it acts just like my old 7.3 did. After about 2-3 minutes at normal idle, it kicks it up to 1100RPM or so, until I touch the brake. Now I am not the original owner, so maybe something was modded, but I also have no upfitter switches, or additional switches anywhere, nor do I ever use the parking brake.

Did something get changed along the way to where this became standard? Perhaps a computer upgrade from Ford?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
From this post, it seems like the high idle is not standard on these trucks. I have a 2005 6.0, and it acts just like my old 7.3 did. After about 2-3 minutes at normal idle, it kicks it up to 1100RPM or so, until I touch the brake. Now I am not the original owner, so maybe something was modded, but I also have no upfitter switches, or additional switches anywhere, nor do I ever use the parking brake.

Did something get changed along the way to where this became standard? Perhaps a computer upgrade from Ford?
I believe they are talking about using it "on demand". I think they all do it for extended idle at cold temps. I was actually thinking the same as you at first.

·
Registered
489 Posts
05 high idle powerstroke

Can this be done on an '05 powerstroke. I only have an xlt and don't have any upfitter switches. Would any switch work? I way one for my plow lights already.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Can this be done on an '05 powerstroke. I only have an xlt and don't have any upfitter switches. Would any switch work? I way one for my plow lights already.
You can get the upfitter switch kit from a Ford dealer or from eBay, or use any switch.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Good evening. Bit of a resurrection post, but just did the BCP version of this mod, hooked up to Aux 4. Was straightforward enough. I used 6 inches of speaker wire and a pair of marrette connectors. I found the butt connectors just caused the wire strands to fray. TBH in the future I'm probably going to solder the wires together for a more solid connection, but for now the marrettes will work fine.

Many thanks for the write up! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Don't want an ugly or cheap looking aftermarket switch?

Some of us (me included) dont own "work truck" models. I noticed a few people that were wanting to do the mod but didnt want to drop the cash on the up fitters but maybe they didn't want to run an autozone toggle either. Let me remind you that in order for the mod to work you just need to add 12v to the purple wire with a green stripe, your cab is already filled with a wonderful array of switches for example you could tap into your park light wire, so it only works when all conditions are met plus the park lights being turned on. Maybe even your glove box light, so once in park, park brake set and your glove box open you would idle up. :thumbsup: good luck, lets see some creativity!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
That would be interesting, having it kick-on anytime the truck has it's park brake applied (and in park, of course) would be convenient. But I'll save that for when I need the switch for something else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No Switch Needed

I did this to BCP with no switch. If you pop the headlight control out and look at the back there is a grey plug. With it plugged in, if you look to the right side there is a brown wire. This wire runs the running lights. I hooked a piggy back wire connector from there and ran a jumper wire to the purple wire with a green stripe (BCP). When my running lights are on my high idle is on as well. This works especially nice with my remote start. My remote start turns the running lights on, so when I hit the remote start in the mornings my high idle comes on and I come out to a very warm truck! Let me know if anyone has questions on how to hook it up like this.

Update: Remember parking brake must be set!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Just finished the mod, worked great. I highly recommend using a 6 inch or so extension wire. I ended up switching to the PTO wire because the other one had my RPM's around 1300-1350 just idling in the driveway. Now it sits right at 1200 RPM +/-5. Just finishing up the final step. Not sure I did that one right so I might have to do a few more times :lol:

61 - 80 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.