The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been noticing that my truck has been leaking engine oil at at somewhat moderate pace. After inspecting around the hpop area ive determined that it was coming from one of the hpop lines where they connect to the pump..My question is first off how do these lines come off....i think i read with a a special tool...if so where can i get it. and secondly i think i read on here that there is an o ring kit for the pump that also includes ones to fix the lines. is there any truth to that.. I know i priced the whole lines from the dealer...150 for one and 120 sumthing for the other...major rip...so any advice would be appreciated...oh yeah we're talking bout a 99 7.3 diesel

· Registered
26 Posts
I recently had the O ring fail on my HPOP on my 2001 7.3. In fact, this happened the day before a vacation trip pulling my trailer. The mechanic at my dealer found the O rings at the local IH dealer for $2.38 each. Ford sells a kit to replace all three. These are not for the lines but are for the plugs on the HPOP.

· Registered
219 Posts
Don't use the kit. The pink orings are a little too big and i have a bad failure rate with them. I use a simple door panel tool to remove the line. You need to push the black ring on the hose into the coupler, this releases the clip around the lip and the hose will come right out. I use a 3/4 semi deep swivel to remove the couplers and then install new orings. The kit comes with lock tight but I never use it. Do not over tighten it. It is only a few threads into aluminum and it will strip out. Also check the bolt looking one on the rear of the pump. it is also known to fail. If you go to a local parts store make sure you get a tight fitting oring. A small,skinney type works the best.

· Registered
5,467 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Don't use the kit. The pink orings are a little too big and i have a bad failure rate with them. I use a simple door panel tool to remove the line. You need to push the black ring on the hose into the coupler, this releases the clip around the lip and the hose will come right out. I use a 3/4 semi deep swivel to remove the couplers and then install new orings. The kit comes with lock tight but I never use it. Do not over tighten it. It is only a few threads into aluminum and it will strip out. Also check the bolt looking one on the rear of the pump. it is also known to fail. If you go to a local parts store make sure you get a tight fitting oring. A small,skinney type works the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems most people who finally solve the HPOP leaking problems do so after realizing that they should have used the lock tight in the first place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

Hammer

· Registered
238 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of the "bolt looking one" on the rear of the HPOP that has an O-ring? I think that must be the source of my leak, but do not know what to look for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

· Registered
67 Posts
No picture, but it is the 11/16 bolt at the back of the HPOP. Mine was pretty loose, but wasn't leaking yet, so I was able to snug it up.

Tim

· Registered
238 Posts
11/16" got it, Thanks!! So it has an O-ring seal on it?? My hoses do not leak, but there seems to be oil coming from that area. Or at least there was, now that I'm searching for it the leak seems to have stopped.

· Registered
67 Posts
Fire 1,

Yes, it has an o-ring on the 11/16" plug. When checking the HPOP lines for leakage, make sure it is running. Mine didn't look like they were leaking until I started it and watched. Once they start leaking, it has been my experience that you have to replace the o-ring, as the damage to the ring has already been done.

Good luck on finding your leak.
Tim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.