The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, 2000 f350 7.3 with about 240,000.
I bought this truck in January and it’s been mostly sitting since I changed the glowplugs,gpr and oil cooler orings. Went to start it yesterday and it was several long cranks before it fired up. It ran fine afterwards with no codes. This morning i checked the oil in the hpop and it was low and took about 3/4 of a quart to fill back up, then the truck started just fine. I let it sit for 5 hours and rechecked the hpop and it was down about 3 inches from the top. The crankcase oil is full and there no leaks anywhere. I’ve done some reading on this and heard lots of ideas but never a solution. Where the heck is this oil going? Thanks for any help,Al

·
Super Moderator
25,072 Posts
There's a quick fill check valve in the engine valley directly below the fuel return line from the fuel bowl. You'll see a square recess plug. Pull that and there will be a spring and ball. There are differences of opinion whether oil can drain back through that check valve (if fouled), because there's a standpipe in the fill line. My thought is that it can't drain back thru there, but it might be worth checking.

Other possibilities are that it's leaking thru the IPR, or a cracked HPOP reservoir. The oil you're losing is going into the pan, so if you keep adding oil to the reservoir, it will eventually overfill the crankcase.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, for the suggestions.my eyes are bugging out from all the reading. Lots of conflicting ideas.. is there any possibility that it has something to do with the oil cooler? I think I remember a check valve in it when I changed orings but I’m usually good at not missing stuff like that upon reassembly.
I wasn’t aware the ipr could let oil flow through when shut off, is there any way to test it?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So Im still hunting this problem.. I’ve ruled out injector o rings, IPR and low pressure oil pump. I pulled the hpop reservoir the other day and the oil was about 3/4” below the bottom reservoir gasket where the screen is. I wish I knew how to post a picture. Anybody have a clue as to where I should be looking next?

·
Premium Member
14,488 Posts
Hpop had an internal leak. Problem solved

How did you find it? Was it at an oring or a piston?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Basically through process of elimination, figures the pump was the only thing it could be. Bought a new pump and all’s good again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts