The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Ford F350 6.0L, 280,054 miles (brand new batteries/oil filter/fuel filters just installed)

New Repairs/Services – new radiator (100 miles), new batteries (0 miles), new oil and fuel filters (0 miles).

Known Issue – oil leak coming from the front of the engine, possibly engine’s low pressure oil sensor.

Ran it out of fuel on steep hill, got ¼ tank of diesel into it but after many attempts to start it on a 10% (pretty darn steep hill) by cycling fuel pump 4-5 times before cranking, it only started a couple times and within 15 seconds it would sputter and die. Batteries were very weak so got new batteries, new oil and fuel filters but still could not keep it started so towed to independent shop.

Technician said “cranked vehicle while monitoring scan tool data, actual high pressure oil was much lower than desired. After cranking for 15 seconds the actual high pressure oil started to climb, once it hit 500 psi it started and idled, but when the throttle was depressed the oil pressure went up and then started to drop at higher rpms until it died. Removed the injector control pressure (ICP) sensor and applied shop air into oil manifold. The expected outcome was to hear oil coming from the crankcase but there was no air heard at all. Back-probed the IPR at the PCM and applied ground. There was supposed to be a change in where the air was leaking from but there was no change; when the tool was disconnected from the oil manifold there was air still in the system. This indicates that there is a blockage in the high pressure oil pump (HPOP) and/or the IPR. At this time it is recommended to replace theses parts for a total of $1,898 labor plus $2,361 parts:

• HPOP (Motorcraft HPP-12-RM); $1,436 part
  • IPR fuel pressure regulator (Motorcraft WP-216992); $422 part
  • ICP injector control pressure sensor (Motorcraft WP-945272); $299 part
  • low pressure oil sensor (Motorcraft SW-5267); $67 part
  • Intake Manifold Gasket (Motorcraft WP-648134-MAH); $119 part
  • Turbo Mount Kit (Motorcraft 904-234)’ $18 part

Questions:

• Is $1,898 a reasonable labor charge for replacing Parts 1-6, above?
  • HPOP is $1,436 for a new part, reman is $747 from Ford dealer but this shop would mark it up to about $1,070, would you spend the extra $366 for the new HPOP?
  • Technician said there is a blockage in the HPOP and/or the IPR . . . should we try replacing Parts 2-6 and retesting before installing new or rebuilt HPOP? Or, is HPOP due for replacement anyhow at 280,000 miles?
  • With only 100 miles on Ford coolant, would you save coolant or replace all coolant?
  • Other items you suggest to get inspected/repaired/replaced while already in there?
  • How would you proceed? Anything else?

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
The low pressure oil sensor is a switch that is in the valley of the engine. Easy and cheap to replace.

If it were me, I would buy the IPR myself and replace it myself. It is possible that the IPR is the only issue (other than the oil leak).

IPR (5C3Z-9C968-CA): $188

The 06 HPOP's are very reliable. That said, you do have a lot of miles on it. Still it would be worth a try simply to replace the IPR and see if that resolves the issue.

Search on the internet for how to change the low pressure oil pressure switch. It is easy enough to do.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Oh - and the intake manifold gaskets are re-usable most of the time. Have to admit that on high mileage engines, you might need to replace them, but you never know.

I think you can see how much money you might be able to save by doing most of this yourself!

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Sometimes the oil pressure switch leaks because the threads strip out. In actuality the threads go a lot deeper than the OEM switch utilizes. An adapter is sold that makes use of these deeper threads even if the ones near the top are stripped.

If you need the adapter you can buy it here:

Expensive ($42), but handy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
thing I am thinking on this is several things. 1 pressure finally gets there yet when rpms are added it dies. so does it idle on its own without pedal? if so then change the ipr. if the hpop went out then you wouldnt get anything from my knowledge since you wouldnt be able to build pressure. if your intake manifold gaskets are good then they can be reused. Sounds like the mechanic is going straight to a hpop when he hasnt even checked the screen on the ipr. if anything he can pull the hpop and check the screen there also and the stc fitting (possible that may be the issue from what I have seen on here). if the screen are intact and everything is whole (no holes in the screens and everything checks out there) then I would bypass the hpop part. only thing in my head is that if it does turn out to be the hpop and he puts it all back together with the old part then he is going to have to take the turbo off again and dig in. Its really your choice. the hpop price seems high in my opinion but shops mark parts up. average labor into it and all your looking at over 4k which to me is steep but same time sounds to me like he is throwing parts at it that he knows the symptoms in sort and one of them is going to fix it in his opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thing I am thinking on this is several things. 1 pressure finally gets there yet when rpms are added it dies. so does it idle on its own without pedal? if so then change the ipr. if the hpop went out then you wouldnt get anything from my knowledge since you wouldnt be able to build pressure. if your intake manifold gaskets are good then they can be reused. Sounds like the mechanic is going straight to a hpop when he hasnt even checked the screen on the ipr. if anything he can pull the hpop and check the screen there also and the stc fitting (possible that may be the issue from what I have seen on here). if the screen are intact and everything is whole (no holes in the screens and everything checks out there) then I would bypass the hpop part. only thing in my head is that if it does turn out to be the hpop and he puts it all back together with the old part then he is going to have to take the turbo off again and dig in. Its really your choice. the hpop price seems high in my opinion but shops mark parts up. average labor into it and all your looking at over 4k which to me is steep but same time sounds to me like he is throwing parts at it that he knows the symptoms in sort and one of them is going to fix it in his opinion.
Thanks for sharing your expertise!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts