The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's all this nonsense about ford claiming they have an injection pump on the heui 6.0? As far as I know it's a hpop supplying oil to the rails. I just bought an airdog fp150, to work in conjunction with the factory HFCM (fuel pump). The so called injection pump isn't supplying fuel the the injectors, or pressuring per say? It's actually sending volumes of oil to the hpop. So my ad will add 10psi to the oem HFCM? Correct? Or what the heck is is actually doing on my 6L? My shop keeps saying we normally run these on dmax, because the lack of injection pump, I understand that. But then I don't really have a pressurized fuel injection pump either! Either way, the ad should provide better fuel delivery right? I just want to know why? Can some one explain to me what the ad fp 150 actually does? I bought this in preparation for a set of full force diesel 155cc. And what my benefits are over oem setup, besides 1/2" lines, filtration, ect.) thanks!!

Sent from iPhone PSD

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone??!!!

Sent from iPhone PSD

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
HEUI injectors use oil from the HPOP to increase the pressure of the fuel delivered to them. They're mini plunger pumps. Ford uses weird nomenclature sometimes. :shrug03:

Fuel delivered needs to be at adequate pressure to completely fill the injector fuel cavity, and the fuel needs to be free of air.

As I understand it, (and I'm not completely clear on how they work) the Air-dog is basically a fuel de-aerator and may or not change the delivery pressure.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HEUI injectors use oil from the HPOP to increase the pressure of the fuel delivered to them. They're mini plunger pumps. Ford uses weird nomenclature sometimes. :shrug03:

Fuel delivered needs to be at adequate pressure to completely fill the injector fuel cavity, and the fuel needs to be free of air.

As I understand it, (and I'm not completely clear on how they work) the Air-dog is basically a fuel de-aerator and may or not change the delivery pressure.

Now my tech says my airdog won't work cause my dual tanks , can't get anything to work!! This stinks!!

Sent from iPhone PSD

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He says I will need two airdogs one for Each tank! Whatever guess I'll starve my future 155cc's wat the heck!! Anyone ?!! Have this issue

Sent from iPhone PSD

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wat da heck is going on here?!

Sent from iPhone PSD

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Without seeing a dual tank setup, and I haven't on one of these trucks, I couldn't say, but it seems absurd that you'd need two AirDogs. There's still only one HFCM, right? So the dual tanks converge on a common pump and have a switching valve aft of that. I would assume you can just plump the AirDog in before the HFCM, but after the switching valve. It may require some additional plumbing, but I'm sure a way to do it could be found.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The reason he's telling you that you need 2 pumps is because the AirDogs and the FassFuel pumps have there own suction line that you have to run into the fuel tank. I'm sure there has to be a way to split the suction line and install a valve but you'll probably have to make it. I've never run across one of these trucks with 2 tanks.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, my tech is kinda an idiot anyways, returned the airdog ?. I am looking to find a good shop here in mass. Now. He does not know more than I do, so there's a prob!! Lol!! I know there must be a way, but he is too lazy, and I can just wait to I figure it out. If you want something done right, do it yourself!!!

Sent from iPhone PSD

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have found that the 6.7 pump works way better than the Air Dog or FASS on my 6.0 with 205 injectors much more reliable. I do have a sump in the tank. I went through several Air Dogs and FASS pumps in less than 40K. The 6.7 pump has been on for almost 60K now and no pressure problems. Just make sure you use heavier wiring to the pump. I use a relay triiggered by the OEM pump wiring with a 10 ga. wire (and fuse) direct from the battery. Works great and if I ever do have a problem, they are available from any Ford dealer

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Wow, that's pretty short life when you consider the filter gets changed at 50k...

I've had my FASS system on my truck for about 150k with no problems. Did wither FASS or AirDog offer any explanation as to why their pumps failed?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts