The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Font Screenshot Auto part Multimedia Personal luxury car

Hello everyone new to the site not to the 7.3. I’ve never had a reader until lately so the numbers they tell me are all new to me. I feel the truck lacks power pulling my 10k# loaded trailer (20k# truck and trailer) pulling the trailer up hills or even trying to gain speed up from say 40-60 will make the ipr go to 65% and I see my icp reading 1200-1400 mostly the lower part. I have confirmed the readings with I manual gauge so I know the icp is reading it correctly, both the icp and ipr are new from Oriellys after a I recently rebuilt the engine.

Without the trailer under hard acceleration I can replicate the same, not sure of the ipr is at fault or the pump is weak. Sorry I should have said the truck is 2002 f350 with the 6 speed. What are y’all’s thoughts on this. I have a screen shot off my readings of I can figure out how to put it on here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You definitely have a hydraulic problem.
How many miles on your LPOP and HPOP?
You getting a lot of smoke?
Did you reoring your injectors? Was that your first experience installing injectors?
I rebuilt the whole engine about 1000 miles ago, I rebuilt the injectors, shimmed armatures, springs and orings new LPOP as well. As far as smoke not a whole lot, just a faint amount when in it hard (accelerating through the gears pulling trailer). And I used the (assuming) original HPOP. thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand that you rebuilt your injectors but I need to know exactly how you installed those injectors.
I put the new o rings on them, I put new motor oil on them so they would slide in without issues. And let them in nice and ready like and bump them with the palm of my hand until the bottomed out. I should mention that under normal driving at cruising speed day around 1500-2000 rpm no trailer flat ground it will cruise at like 20-25% @ 1500-2000 psi. It’s only hard acceleration or pulling I have issues.
Font Gadget Screenshot Multimedia Auto part

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put the new o rings on them, I put new motor oil on them so they would slide in without issues. And let them in nice and ready like and bump them with the palm of my hand until the bottomed out. I should mention that under normal driving at cruising speed day around 1500-2000 rpm no trailer flat ground it will cruise at like 20-25% @ 1500-2000 psi. It’s only hard acceleration or pulling I have issues. View attachment 186694
I’m going to try to post a video, this odd just average driving no trailer shifting gears. I won’t be pulling trailer today for that video, but maybe I can get one of hard acceleration in a little bit.
Font Gadget Screenshot Multimedia Auto part

Gadget Font Screenshot Auto part Multimedia

8,786 Posts
You seem ok without that trailer, just cruising, as you said.
Seems to me that it can’t keep up with a higher need, hens the duty cycle maxing out at 65% with a resulting effect of only about 50% in pressure that you are seeing.
You said that your replaced your lpop. What did your front cover look like? Did you put a new oring with screen in the base of the hpop tank?
Is your oil level in the crankcase ok?
Are you positive that the bolt for the hpop bolt was properly torqued?
Positive the key on the crank was put in place when you mounted the new lpop?
You positive all injectors seated before you torqued the hold down bolts?
You did not have these hydro numbers before your rebuild?
What all did you do in this engine rebuild?
Did you install a new oil pick up tube to front cover oring?
After bad numbers, have you looked into the hpop tank to see if the oil looks aerated?

·
Administrator
27,493 Posts
Are the injectors stock? Some aftermarket injectors will suck more oil than the HP oil system can deliver, running the IPR percentage up to the max 65% (stock tune also). As long as you aren't getting a code for HP oil pressure (P1210/P1211), you're probably OK, but any kind of leakage in the HP oil system will cause the IPR to go high.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You seem ok without that trailer, just cruising, as you said.
Seems to me that it can’t keep up with a higher need, hens the duty cycle maxing out at 65% with a resulting effect of only about 50% in pressure that you are seeing.
You said that your replaced your lpop. What did your front cover look like? Did you put a new oring with screen in the base of the hpop tank?
Is your oil level in the crankcase ok?
Are you positive that the bolt for the hpop bolt was properly torqued?
Positive the key on the crank was put in place when you mounted the new lpop?
You positive all injectors seated before you torqued the hold down bolts?
You did not have these hydro numbers before your rebuild?
What all did you do in this engine rebuild?
Did you install a new oil pick up tube to front cover oring?
After bad numbers, have you looked into the hpop tank to see if the oil looks aerated?
Best I can remember the front cover looked fine, I had the engine bored .040” over headed rebuilt new everything, the engine kit has the new o ring/screen for the hpop base I honestly haven’t checked the oil level in it (hpop res.) since I installed it, nor have I check for aeration in there. As far as the pick up yes I did put the square looking oring on it.
I traded a motorcycle for this truck because rats chewed the pcm harness in two and he couldn’t fix it, after I fixed 50+ wires it smoked pretty bad, had sick blow by and I parked it for almost a year to save money up to rebuild it. Some Jack hole replaced the engine previously with a 99.5 motor and used the turbo off that engine and it’s that weird year turbo where they combined both styles together. The pcm thinks the truck has an automatic in it and it’sa 6 speed so I always have a cel on. I’ll pull codes and see what I get other than those.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are the injectors stock? Some aftermarket injectors will suck more oil than the HP oil system can deliver, running the IPR percentage up to the max 65% (stock tune also). As long as you aren't getting a code for HP oil pressure (P1210/P1211), you're probably OK, but any kind of leakage in the HP oil system will cause the IPR to go high.
I have no aftermarket tune in the truck (that I know of at least) it Definitely don’t feel like it. The injectors are stick not to say some haven’t been replaced, but I’m sure that are at least stock. It’s a 4 door flat bed from an oil field hippy dude that’s old so don’t seem like the kind that would sup it up lol I did just run the codes and do have p1211 and I just looked and the new engine has exactly 2601 miles on it since rebuilt so this oil has about 2000 miles on it running Rotella t4
Font Screenshot Technology Terrestrial plant Number

8,786 Posts
I had a thought about something that maybe causing your issue. You rebuilt that thing. Perhaps when you siliconed the pan, you went a wee bit heavy with the silicone bead.
I found this when I opened a customer’s engine. That bead was an excess push out bead on the inside. It detached. It was the in the oil. Eventually, it got sucked up onto the pickup tube screen.
Try to remember laying your bead and how heavy you went. Then get under your truck and inspect the pan surfaces, all the way around and take note of how much push out you have.
You get a bead up onto the pickup screen like that, It will be ok until you put it to it and your pump won’t be able to put it to those injectors and that’s exactly what you have going on. We just have to figure out why and what happening will definitely do it.
Check to see how much pushouf you have, all around.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Headlamp

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love old hippy dudes!! Salt of the Earth!!
I am leaning towards a high pressure leak or a hpop on its way out.
Can you get your paws on a different IPR?
Damn, that would suck, I had similar issues with a Toyota, the timing chain guides came apart and sucked up into the screen and it would lose oil pressure, shut it off for about 10 min and crank it back and it would be fine for about 5 min lol. But I didn’t lay that heavy off a bead on it and even if I did I doubt it would have came off in 2000 miles. My LPOP gauge hangs steady in the middle to upper middle side of the gauge, it don’t have numbers so can’t tell you exactly but it don’t fluctuate at all. I’ll check the HPOP res before heading off to work this morning. I actually think it’s going to be the ipr out the pump myself. My manual gauge which is way more accurate will peg the 3g Mark when I shift the gears, so it will be at 1300 psi pulling the trailer up a hill and off I let off the throttle instantly I have 3000psi. I might try to install that gauge again this evening when I get home and let engine cool a bit (after supper) and tomorrow morning get a video of that. Thanks guys, oh and I love old hippies to my boss is one and he’s great!!! I can’t get another ipr unless I just go to Oriellys and exchange the one I bought from them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn’t know all of that. I’m back on the IPR.
Oh, so check this out, today I had no trailer and run the truck up to about 80 mph (my tack don’t work since the rat problem before I bought it) assuming around 2500rpm and it was holding steady at 33% and 2400 psi. and that was about 3/4 throttle then I pushed it on down to the floor and it pretty fast dropped to 1300 @ 65% the rpm didn’t have enough time to change more than maybe 200rpm not sure if any of that is relevant but.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would repair any and all rat damage and any other funky connections by soldering and heat shrinking or buying a used harness that is good.
I already repaired the rat damage the way you said by soldering and heat shrinking but not sure why my tack doesn’t work, I mean I can read the rpm through the module but not the dash.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts