The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have an early 99 F350. The HPOP reservoir is draining overnight causing very hard start, long cranks until the reservoir fills. The reservoir has been less than half full in the morning. Adding to the reservoir will help it start.

After it starts, It runs and drives well. NO smoke. Oil Level in the engine is good. HPOP is seeing 2600 plus pressure when driving ( using torque pro app). The HPOP reservoir is full right after I shut the engine off and appears to slowly drain with engine off. Im not seeing any external leaks. LPOP appears to be working judging by the gauge on the dash. I havnt put a gauge on it but pressure does seems to build quickly and stay up.

I searched quite a bit about this and I get some conflicting info. Some say it could be the quick fill valve. Others say it has a stand pipe that would prevent the reservoir from leaking down that much from the quick fill. I've also read that it could be LPOP wore a grove or scored the front cover and its leaking down through the LPOP. I've also seen people say it could be a leaking injector but that seems unlikely

Im going to pull the reservoir to further investigate and to check the gasket at the bottom. Any ideas or thought are welcome. This truck has 250,000 miles and is new to me. Thanks Ray

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Emptied the HPOP reservoir -- used a pump designed for pumping gear oil into diffs(autozone)

Removed two through bolts that hold the fuel bowl to the reservoir. Also Disconnected sensors on reservoir and in front of it(13mm wrench)

Had to remove a sensor in the way. EBP sensor I think(1 inch deep socket and 9/16 wrench)

Sensor out of the way

Removed 2 nuts. I think they held a plastic cover at one time(13mm socket)

Removed 2 Studs in back and 3 bolts in front holding the reservoir on . They felt like they were going to break so I lightly hit them with the impact and they came out easy, wish I had a 3/8 impact for this(1/2 deep socket and 10mm socket)

Pulled the reservoir out. The gasket at the bottom doesnt look bad

More Pics Coming

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I filled this opening under the reservoir to the the top with oil. I'm going to let it sit overnight. I believe this opening feeds the HPOP only. IF the level goes down, I think it has to be leaking throuh the HPOP. Maybe someone can confrm?

I tried to fill this opening but it wouldnt hold anything. I believe it leads to the quick fill valve in the block? Im not entirely sure if its supposed to be closed when the engine is off? I will probably replace the quick flll valve anyways even though I dont believe it could be causing my problem of the reservoir draining overnight

Im not sure what this passage does but it did hold oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking down in the reservoir from top with lid off at Standpipes -- The reservoir has been draining down to way below the standpipes so I dont think the quick fill is the problem. I think the red circle one goes to quick fill. The yellow circle one has a pinhole opening only. The only other opening goes to the HPOP iteslf. I dont see any cracks or anything in the reservoir either

Quickfill Valve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its my understanding that the IPR is open when the engine is off

This level went down by a little under 1/4 inch over night. Doesnt seem like much. I may just replace the gasket under reservoir and see what happens. I really dont want to pay to replace the HPOP if I dont have to.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
You have two different ports on the ipr.

Bottom tak gasket; do you have signs of oil coming out of tank? Filth below that seem? Oil in valley?

How long are the cranks? Even a low tank will fill very fast. If that short circuit valve is hanging up its going to the line circuit first, so you may want to look into it. Use a wobble end ( kinda rounded end ) to get that plug out, due to its awkward positioning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no sign of external leaks. It takes long enough to start that it runs the batteries down. I know it wont start until the HPOP pressure gets up 500 and Im not sure how fast it fills when just cranking. I do know I accidently started it once with the reservoir plug on top off and it shot oil everywhere immediately when it started!! what a mess. If I fill the reservoir before starting, it starts rights up and starts the rest of the day ok. HPOP pressure and IPR duty cycles appear ok.

Im trying to understand how the IPR works. If I removed the IPR when the engine is off, would the reservoir drain? If it does then I could see how it could be my problem. Its would be cheaper to try then an HPOP

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
It will drain out.
Should fire on second to third crank rotation.
Empty tank, it should fire on 4-5th revolution. Thats a bone bone dry just put together motor with no hpop tank pre fill.
If you are starting with good batteries and it takes so long to fire that they are drawing down, it sounds like the oil is doing a trip into the lube circuit prior to firing. Don't burn your starter up.
I go with a good ipr I have, then I go to the short circuit valve below.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Corrective action...Remedy?

Ray1999F350, did you ever figure out what was causing your HPOP reservoir to lose oil? I can find plenty of threads on this issue without a remedy...
My 01 7.3 is having the same issue. the HPOP res is about 1.5 inches low and has long crank times before wanting to start in the morning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bump, anyone...help

I have purchased an oil pump relief valve spring plug & seals PN - F4TZ-6666-KIT

F4TZ-6666-KIT includes P/Ns F4TZ-6666-A / F4TZ-6670-A / F4TZ-6674-A / B / C

also purchases a Denso starter too. I can hear my degradation in the stock starter currently installed.

Currently waiting for all of my parts to come in.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ray1999F350, did you ever figure out what was causing your HPOP reservoir to lose oil? I can find plenty of threads on this issue without a remedy...
My 01 7.3 is having the same issue. the HPOP res is about 1.5 inches low and has long crank times before wanting to start in the morning.
Bump.... posted pics etc and no outcome... :frown2:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I don't think I would be looking for an injector leaking the oil as the issue. First, it's not a straight shot from the hpop reservoir to the hpo rails. Without the engine running, the plungers on the hpop would probably do a good job at keeping the oil from just leaking through.

I would look at the seal on the front of the hpop as a possibility. When my hpop failed, I decided to open it up to see the damage and noticed the shaft seal was torn. That wouldn't cause too much issue running, but since it's exposed to the reservoir, could allow warm oil to dribble back to the pan when shut off.

·
Registered
443 Posts
10-4, I'm going the route of new HPOP reservoir gasket then LPOP pump.
This is on my 1999.5 wifes 02 fires right up... wanting mine to do the same...

It drains down after sitting and take longer then it should to fire off and build oil pressure

1 - 16 of 16 Posts