The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had started a thread about this issue. I talked with my mechanic he said must be an issue with to much pressure with hpop.. for it to crack or break is unusual. We were discussing it when the thought came both times it happened was I just started the truck and the reservoir broke. Anyone have this issue? What would go wrong for it to build too much pressure if that can happen. I’m reluctant to put another reservoir on until I have some kind of an answer.. HELP

·
Premium Member
15,029 Posts
The reservoir only experiences pressure from the low-pressure side of the system. There is also a standpipe in the HPOP reservoir that drains to the pan. The only way I see for pressure to build is for the standpipe to be clogged AND the pressure bypass spring in the rear housing to be stuck closed. I'd be surprised if that was the cause. Can you take some pictures of the break? Which gasket did you use?

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reservoir only experiences pressure from the low-pressure side of the system. There is also a standpipe in the HPOP reservoir that drains to the pan. The only way I see for pressure to build is for the standpipe to be clogged AND the pressure bypass spring in the rear housing to be stuck closed. I'd be surprised if that was the cause. Can you take some pictures of the break? Which gasket did you use?
they used the gasket with filter

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,029 Posts
Any idea what torque specs they used? I wonder if the confused inch pounds and foot pounds. Looks like the old “tighten it ‘till it breaks and back off half a turn” torque spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,299 Posts
I agree with RT. Your thread from a few days ago is just down the forum. Here's my reply.
I'll delete your original thread to clean up the clutter.
There are two reservoirs and covers and the gasket that goes between them. The early gasket doesn't have a screen and has a groove around the driver's side, and the later gasket has a screen and the interior ridge is not there on the driver's side of the reservoir. Check this Link
Maybe they put an older reservoir on it. The break point on the difference is somewhere in 1999 model year.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I have a reservoir coming, be here this weekend. Will pull the old one and check it. Have ordered a new gasket as well. do you know what the torque specs are for the reservoir? Thanks again for your response.

·
Premium Member
15,029 Posts
The long bolts are torqued to 216 inch pounds (18 ft lbs.) There was another guy on here once who had a similar issue. Took him about 6 reservoirs to figure out he wasn't seating the gasket correctly before he torqued it down. While an 01 should use the filter style gasket, before you put it on, take a picture of the bottom of the reservoir (both the old one and new one) and the top of your front cover so we can verify you have the right style. There is a difference that is obvious.

Reactions: 1999f-250superduty

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The long bolts are torqued to 216 inch pounds (18 ft lbs.) There was another guy on here once who had a similar issue. Took him about 6 reservoirs to figure out he wasn't seating the gasket correctly before he torqued it down. While an 01 should use the filter style gasket, before you put it on, take a picture of the bottom of the reservoir (both the old one and new one) and the top of your front cover so we can verify you have the right style. There is a difference that is obvious.
Thanks great info will take pictures of reservoirs when the new one comes in. The cover gasket won’t be in until late this week so won’t get to install later in week. Thanks again for info.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks great info will take pictures of reservoirs when the new one comes in. The cover gasket won’t be in until late this week so won’t get to install later in week. Thanks again for info.
It took awhile all parts finally came in. Here is pics you wanted of bottom of reservoir and top cover first pic is old reservoir next is new reservoir and finally the crack in the old one. They were definitely torqued more than 18 ft lbs and probably why it cracked. There are several stress cracks. Some where I read about a check ball there was no check ball in mine. Should there be?

·
Premium Member
15,029 Posts
One more picture- the top of the front cover where the reservoir sits.

The check ball is on the top of the motor- separate from the reservoir.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

One more picture- the top of the front cover where the reservoir sits.

The check ball is on the top of the motor- separate from the reservoir.

This the bottom of reservoir that sits on the hpop

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
15,029 Posts
Yes. And the bowl bolts are not structural. They don’t need to be tight- just holds the bowl in place. The main thing is to make sure the gaskets are in their grooves and then bring the torque up slowly. Rotate around like you do on a tire. Oneof6 pointed out on a different thread that torque wrenches could be off spec or the bolts oily. Also, make sure the bolt holes are clean and dry. Oil trapped in the hole can cause hydraulic fracturing.

The pictures show you have the correct setup for the gasket with a filter.

Reactions: Greg687

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks RT for your help and klhansen. I drove a friends 2011 f350 yesterday to pick up a truck in Kansas sure was nice compared to mine almost makes me want to get a newer one. Hopefully mine will be back on the road tomorrow. Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts