The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pulling around 20k on a bumper pull trailer through some steep hills in my area. I had torque out and was watching the hpop and ipr rather close. on a very steep hill I will have the pedal mostly to the floor and the ipr will read 97% and the hpop will read at 2500psi. and the truck will feel as if it had run out of power. This is with a dp tuner chip set on 20 hp tow. egts are at 12050 and boost was at 12 psi. Is this normal for this kind of weight?
My hpop has made 3500 psi at some point during that trip as torque shows the highest achieved value. Idle is so smooth you can't feel the engine running. Do I even have an issue? Or is this just the limit of my truck?
I recently had to do an oil flush because of an aeration issue. But, since the flush no evidence of aeration has reappeared.

·
Premium Member
15,096 Posts
egts are at 12050 and boost was at 12 psi. Is this normal for this kind of weight?

Aluminum melts at 1221° F. You're 10,890° above that so you, my friend, are completely screwed. :icon_wink:

Anyhoo - I've never seen my IPR go over 65%. Your ICP numbers look just fine, so my next guess would be fuel pressure. Your boost should have been up in the high 20s. What RPM were you at when this was going on? Might need to downshift.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
20k steep hills is it for a 73. Need more air boost. Check air filter and boost leaks.

97percent? Was that the graph bar to the right? That's percent of range. You need to look at duty cycle percentage.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^see thats the thing, these are torque numbers and I am unsure how it reports its pids. As far as the gear it was in third. It was holding 60 mph. I think my boost is low. But only by a pound or two. I can get 20 psi easy and it will build 24 but it flutters. I may need to tighten my wast gate down a bit. I just replaced the waste gate with an amazon special.
I have had a fuel pressure gauge on it about 5 k miles ago and it read good. I forget the numbers but everyone on the forum said it was good pressures. However that was when my waste gate was bad, could that in some remote way affect fuel pressure?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh and I wanna say rpms were in the 3k range.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Not familiar with Toque app. I would look at it again.

Do you have your original up pipes? Might be leaking there, look for soot on pipes and or firewall heat shield.
Build a boost leak detector

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Up pipes have new crush washers and no new soot since, CAC is leak free. Way ahead of ya on all that stuffs.
I am not sure ibam even looking at an issue here. Just something I found that I was unsure of. My turbo will make 24 psi on a full throtle run in the 80 hp tune.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
I can assure you, that if you have 20k behind you on a steep hill with the foot to the floor and you have only 12pounds of boost and you are in the 1200s you have a turbo system related issue.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Did you look at the blade of the intake and exhaust wheel make sure they're all good?

On 80hp tow i can hit 30 psi easy on a hill and 8000# trailer

If all you turbo system is in good condition and no leak, you have fuel problem

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
ebv should be good, fuel may be an issue. the turbo was just rebuilt so unless something has failed recently those are good. Maybe something is leaking real bad... I will re pressure my system soon. hopefully Its just a loose boot.
I put on a cheap waste gat from amazon. Is it possibly a problem?
this one to be exact.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Maybe your new wastegate is at fault or you didn't adjust it proprely when you install it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I didnt adjust in the sense of doing it per the shop manual. I kinda winged it and got lucky. I was just happy to make more than 5 psi.
In stock it makes its 15 psi no problem. But it does seem like it has lag. At least compared to youtube videos. I will try and tighten it down some more and see what happens. Maybe order a "better" wastegate.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
If i remember, C clip remove, when the rod goes in and out easy of the waste gate flap, screw in 3 turn.

3 turn wasn't enough for mine and don't remember how many turn i did. My suggestion, screw in 5 turn and adjust after.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts