The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1988 Ford F-350 7.3L IDI, 1996 Ford F-250 7.3L powerstroke
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my pickup to warm up there was a huge oil leak on the passenger side close up front by the wheel I could not really pinpoint where the leak was coming from. I shut the pickup off and pulled the dipstick did that three times to hopefully get a accurate reading and I had half of oil on the hash marks so I still had plenty of oil that I knew of so I restarted the pickup and got underneath but all I could see was oil spewing out by the mechanical fuel pump I believe is what it's called I don't know where to even start looking for a leak there was no oil coming out of my muffler. When I shut the pickup off again got back underneath and there was no oil leaking when the pickup was off so obviously it has to be pressured I'm thinking. Any help or ideas of where to start looking first would be helpful.

· Registered
2,551 Posts
Keep the crankcase properly-filled. Put a catch-pan under it, start at the top working down, and rinse all the oil off with brake/carb cleaner, so the block dries completely. The place that won't dry is below the oil leak. If it all dries, bump the starter, but DON'T let the engine actually start. Then re-check for fresh oil.

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thank you for helping me with this. Also I have another question is the a mechanical oil pump or is it just the fuel pump that is mechanical

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found my leak it was a hose clamp for the transmission cooler the cmp was no good. It's amazing what break and carb cleaner can do thanks again for the help

· Registered
2,551 Posts

· Registered
2,551 Posts
So this would also be for the powerstroke as well?
That diagram is specifically for the '94.5-97 (and maybe later) 7.3L PSTD.

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks that will probably solve my issue with my 96. If there is no oil in the reservoir for the h-pop it will not start correct

· Registered
2,015 Posts
That is correct. It has to be at the right level and maintain the right level. The reason they don't like dirty oil

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok well then I'm gonna just have to find an Allen wrench that will fit it and look inside. I had no clue about the hpop until a few days ago. But still I need to ask questions if I want to understand how it all works. So when I change the oil. How do I get the oil out of the reservoir is there a plug on the bottom of the h-pop or I'm not sure

· Registered
2,551 Posts
Follow the normal oil change procedure using top-quality oil & Ford/MC filter. Do not tamper with the HPOP reservoir.

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok leave the reservoir alone I'll just change the oil like I would normally do it. I also was wondering I had borrowed a scan tool from a friend and I took a bunch of pictures of readings on that scan tool if I get the pictures loaded up on here to you Steve or anyone else help me understand how to read what the numbers are showing

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These readings are from the 96 7.3 powerstroke

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts