The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember some time back the reason was explained why the Harpoon mod is so helpful to diesel owners. I seem to recall the tanks were designed for both the diesel and gasoline platforms and the air space was necessary for gasoline but not for diesel and thats why we don’t compromise safety when we harpoon the diesel tank but it would not be good for the same tank in a gasser.

Does that ring a bell for anyone?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,525 Posts
I don’t remember that, but I will say the harpoon mod is the only mod I regret doing. I get blowback every time I let the auto shutoff nozzle do its job. Now I have to put my ear down to the filler and listen for the tank filling and baby it full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I recall a couple of guys reporting similar regret so I have held off harpooning mine even though I spend several minutes extra at the pump letting the fuel settle so I can top up.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I remember some time back the reason was explained why the Harpoon mod is so helpful to diesel owners. I seem to recall the tanks were designed for both the diesel and gasoline platforms and the air space was necessary for gasoline but not for diesel and thats why we don’t compromise safety when we harpoon the diesel tank but it would not be good for the same tank in a gasser.
Gas and diesel tanks are indeed different and BOTH are designed with space for expansion. Trying to convince me that diesel fuel is "safer" than gasoline is a fools errand. It's hazardous, flammable, has health risks and is a bad environmental pollutant. Run this one by your local Haz-Mat team.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the confirmation ford_doc.
I may not be recalling the post correctly, but I thought it was given as the reason Ford created the long tube...to provide expansion which was not essential for diesel but was for gasoline. I did not mean to suggest that diesel fuel is not hazardous, although I do consider it less of a safety risk than gasoline, especially on a marine craft.

Either way, thanks for answering my question that the fuel tanks for gas and diesel are unique from each other on the F-Series.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Technically, gasoline is a flammable, diesel fuel is combustible— there is a HUGE difference! We have different protocols and procedures for welding on equipment whether powered by different fuel sources— Gasoline, Propane, and Diesel. HAZMAT comes into play for hazzardous spills depending on the quantity and contamination of ground water / environment.

As for the Harpoon Mod, I have had no blow back while filling. Even with the Harpoon Mod it appears there is still quite a bit of an air cavity towards the top of the tank for expansion. I too remember another member referring to diesel splashing out before the pump clicked off. I would suspect an issue with the tanks venting or the roll over valves and equalization tube on the top of the tank.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These days, I use proper PPE when handling any type of fuel, solvent or chemical and I keep an eyewash station in my shop.

There is no such thing as being too careful.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
? It’s a good thing! Now, all employees exposed to or handling hazzardous materials have to follow HAZCOM which took the place of the old MSDS system.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
If I remember correctly the HUTCH MOD was to change the fuel line connections, pickup, and return to avoid air entrance into the fuel. I don't know who first posted the Harpoon mod. I have done both and am very happy with them. No problems with splash back when filling (I have not cut my fill for a semi nozzle yet) so that might help. I do get an extra 3-4 gal in a fill up with the Harpoon mod.
DENNY

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm with RT! I'd like to have the Harpoon back. I've finally learned to fuel without getting blowback but it takes a good ear and lots of concentration.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all of you for your help.

·
Vendor
4,142 Posts
I wonder if those having "blowback" issues with the Harpoon mod have some other kind of problem with the other tank vents. I've had several trucks "harpoon'd" and never had that issue. I generally put the pump on the first click and let it go, maybe others are filling at full speed?

·
Registered
381 Posts
You may be right strictly diesel but even if I slow it down before it gets there, it pukes before or at the same time it cuts off.
If I listen carefully, I can hear it start to gargle so I know it's time to get ready.

Does the extended cab short bed have the same tank as a crew cab and/or long bed?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Does the extended cab short bed have the same tank as a crew cab and/or long bed?
The extended cab short bed had a 32 gal tank, the long bed came with a 38 gal. tank. They are not interchangeable.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Even with the tank harpooned I put the nozzle on full open and diesel does not puke out when the handle clicks off.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Even with the tank harpooned I put the nozzle on full open and diesel does not puke out when the handle clicks off.
I also put the nozzle on full open and never had a problem.

·
Vendor
4,142 Posts
I just did this to my "new to me" 2000 truck. I probably left about 3/4-1" of the vent tube at the top of the tank, I never cut them off totally flush. I filled the tank for the first time today, and per my usual, I just put the pump in, set the handle on the first click and sit in the truck until I hear it shut off. Not a drop spilled. I'm wondering if those having issues have cut the vent tube off really close to flush.

·
Premium Member
14,525 Posts
Actually, length may be the problem, but opposite to what you’re thinking. I only cut about half of mine off. That might cause the foam to pressurize the header and blow back through the filler. If I ever have the tank down again (which might be soon if my sender doesn’t start behaving) I will cut it down further.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
When I did mine I cut it off as flush as I could get it. I was kinda working blind, since I raised the bed instead of lowering the tank, but I'd say there's no more than half an inch left, and I've never had a problem with it spitting back at me, even when I used the semi pumps at the truck stops. Of course, I use the slowest pump speed, just to prevent foaming from affecting me. I noticed that the higher concentration bio pumps foamed a lot more and would shut off the pump sooner.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
When I cut mine I pressed the ratcheting pvc cutter against the top of the tank while ratcheting the cutters through the vent tube, probably leaving a 3/4” stub, don’t think you could get it any shorter unless reaching in with a saw blade and what a mess that would be to clean up the plastic shavings.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts