The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why can't you use copper? We use copper on my buddy's f250 8 years ago his is still running fine.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Well, as you just pointed out, you can...
There are several potential issues with copper however and in my humble opinion the labor involved with having to do the job twice isn't worth the savings of not going with at least steel if not stainless the first time.
But to actually answer the question of what is wrong with copper:
First, it is a much softer metal making it much more succeptible to damage / bending....
Secondly copper has corrosion issues with lots of different things... different chemicals, dissimilar metals...
Hope this helps...

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Napa's poly coated brake lines are the way to go if you don't want to buy stainless. It's coated with the same stuff they make plastic diesel tanks out of and is copper inside. They have little brochures by the lines and is how I knew about it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for info I was just woundering we did my buddys 8 years ago and he has never had an issue other than the foot breaking. Which was probably from a stump while login.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I will do copper and check it at 6 mouth point and every yeay after that just to see. I am retired and like to work with my hands for fun. It is not about the money with me. I have never tried to keep up with the john's. So my bank act. Keeps growing my kids will be shocked when they find out we were never poor just live like it

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Are you planing on dropping the tank or taking off the bed?

At 250k miles when I dropped mine on the E350 it was not a pretty sight... miles of build up and a few cans of spray got the needed bolts out of the way.
Then there is the whole what to do with the tank as it is coming down , and how much fuel is in the tank? if there is between 5 and 10 gallons it is going to move between the front and back and un balance the tank. But most likely you already know that.
once was enough for me and made ##### sure that it was this and this time only that the tank was coming down and back up.
Stainless Steel was my choice.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Napa's poly coated brake lines are the way to go if you don't want to buy stainless. It's coated with the same stuff they make plastic diesel tanks out of and is copper inside. They have little brochures by the lines and is how I knew about it.
I'm going to have to look into those! I have several applications where those may come in handy!!!

Tex, I am all about tinkering on stuff, and saving money where I can but, dropping fuel tanks is not on my fun list and, in my opinion, this mod isn't one of the 'keeping up with the joneses' mods...
If you really don't want to go stainless I'd look into those brake lines Nick mentioned.
But, at the end of the day it's your truck, time, and money so do as you will and report back as to how it went!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Are you planing on dropping the tank or taking off the bed?

You don't necessarily have to drop the tank OR take off the bed: it is possible to do both the Hutch and/or Harpoon mods by just raising the bed. Here is an excellent write up:
Powerstroke Fuel Tank Modification

Havent actually done this yet, but this is the way I plan to try this . . . when I get around to it!:winking:

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
If you have sweet Texan not seized bolts. When those puppies seize, you have to cut the head off the bolts, which also are not cheep.
You the trucks pump to pump out last of what you have in tank, floor Jack with piece of plywood cut down.
Paint inside from rail and look at the brake line running down that frame rail.

I like the copper nickle stuff. You can twist it into a pretzel with your hands and it will not kink.
Why it took so long for that stuff to come to market is beyond me but glad it did because it's awesome.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just lift the bed I have a 45x35 shop with a lift. My retirement present from the wife. Because she knows I have to be wrenching on something.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can definitely tell a difference I already think it was worth it. It was one of the easiest jobs I have ever done on this truck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just lift the bed I have a 45x35 shop with a lift. My retirement present from the wife. Because she knows I have to be wrenching on something.
I need to come to your house. I also have sweet Texan/Louisianan non-seized bed bolts, but no lift.:lol:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She only got for me because I have had five back sugerys and will not slow down. She does not want me to have another one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts