The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else run into this? My e99 is really loud when in any mode but stock..

Sent an email to PHP.. hope they can help.. I used the recommended code files.. my pcm is a XLE4.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I would say, almost sounds like you are running tunes for single shots.
But... I don't know.
My 94 didn't change.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@;
I would say, almost sounds like you are running tunes for single shots.
But... I don't know.
My 94 didn't change.

Single shot injectors? what does my 99 come with?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
All super duties came with split shots.

I'd say the hex code is wrong

I'm sure Chatham will get back to you shortly

·
Registered
108 Posts
All super duties came with split shots.

I'd say the hex code is wrong

I'm sure Chatham will get back to you shortly
Researching this it would seem that the early 99's came with single shots. Which I have.. split shots require an earlier timing setting..

Yeah I hope they get back to you me next week sometime. But I did run the hex converter program provided and I am running the right code files per that program.

I cant wait to try and tow with the transmission settings.. should be quite nice.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I'm with blue, from what I understood, early 99 has split shots also.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
E99 has AB injectors which are 120cc splits.
late 99 on has 140cc splits.

Ok sounds like you got everything right on the programming side

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
E99 has AB injectors which are 120cc splits.
late 99 on has 140cc splits.

Ok sounds like you got everything right on the programming side

Well, PHP suggested a PMT ECU code.. tried that. truck wouldnt even run. EDIT: verified I was using correct tune codes.

They wont even work with me, told me to go back to where I bought it.

Keep that in mind when you buy a hydra.. for $25 more, if I had known this Id rather deal with the oem.

So.. hopefully thoroughbred diesel will help me. Truck is too damn loud.

What causes this anyway? Low oil pressure? Low fuel pressure? Advanced injector timing? Longer squirts?

Just curious.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Ahh that sucks. I would get a new chip from thoroughbred. I've never heard of this issue before. I got my hydra from a different vendor. I loaded a custom tune on it and away I went.

Somethings not right. Are you sure the connection was cleaned good enough?
Php doesn't increase timing like a few tuners. So it's not that. Idle Icp will remain the same tuned or not with stock injectors.

Fuel pressure would show up as an issue even in stock tune.

I say get a new chip from thoroughbred.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ahh that sucks. I would get a new chip from thoroughbred. I've never heard of this issue before. I got my hydra from a different vendor. I loaded a custom tune on it and away I went.

Somethings not right. Are you sure the connection was cleaned good enough?
Php doesn't increase timing like a few tuners. So it's not that. Idle Icp will remain the same tuned or not with stock injectors.

Fuel pressure would show up as an issue even in stock tune.

I say get a new chip from thoroughbred.
Well I spoke to thoroughbred and they pretty much said go talk to PHP. which I dont blame them.

So I called PHP.. got some young whipper snapper on the phone whole listened to my boring story and then said "let me go ask someone".. came back and said order a custom tune.

So I said aww F&#k it and I ordered one..

Hope it works when I get it.

EDIT: Yes I am certain the connection is good.. a chip is either going to work or not. I also treated it with a very high quality tube cleaner which I would suggest everyone do. A tube cleaner cleans oxidation and promotes conductivity.

EDIT again: Thoroughbred said what makes an injector noisy is the duration the solenoid on each injector is help open. Is this accurate?

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
A few different things can cause increased idle noise (timing and increased ICP are the main two). Everyone tunes differently, so the exact reason yours is louder may be different than others.

A little bit of increased idle noise is pretty common to see in higher HP tunes. If it is drastically different than stock, something is not right. Hope they are able to get you taken care of. We do not tune on the Hydra, but if you choose to go a different route, let me know.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A few different things can cause increased idle noise (timing and increased ICP are the main two). Everyone tunes differently, so the exact reason yours is louder may be different than others.

A little bit of increased idle noise is pretty common to see in higher HP tunes. If it is drastically different than stock, something is not right. Hope they are able to get you taken care of. We do not tune on the Hydra, but if you choose to go a different route, let me know.
Its no louder at idle, its only when accelerating. But literally twice as loud as stock.

EDIT: I mean louder when the engine is working... so even steady throttle on the freeway at 75mph.. as soon as I hit any incline it really gets loud. Go back to stock and instant quiet and i can hear the turbo whine.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
how healthy was the truck before you install the chip? I would probably start by the basic and make sure that everything is perfect before reinstalling the chip. Maybe get a good scanner, run buzz test, contribution test, monitor ICP and IPR, .....

Just my opinion

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Thoroughbred should definitely take care of you. They sold the product.

On another note yan7gin has a good point. Monitor Icp and duty cycle while tuned.

Could be an oil issue or fuel delivery issue that shows itself when tuned.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Its no louder at idle, its only when accelerating. But literally twice as loud as stock.

EDIT: I mean louder when the engine is working... so even steady throttle on the freeway at 75mph.. as soon as I hit any incline it really gets loud. Go back to stock and instant quiet and i can hear the turbo whine.
Okay.

Would still likely be timing or ICP related. Hopefully it is not timing way out of whack. Get a scan tool on the truck and watch your ICP ramp up in the stock tune when you start accelerating, versus the aftermarket tune. ICP ramping up quickly can cause more noise. If this is the case, a tune writer should be able to fix it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

On another note yan7gin has a good point. Monitor Icp and duty cycle while tuned.

I can monitor those things I think from my edge unit.. but I dont know what to look for.. can you point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay.

Would still likely be timing or ICP related. Hopefully it is not timing way out of whack. Get a scan tool on the truck and watch your ICP ramp up in the stock tune when you start accelerating, versus the aftermarket tune. ICP ramping up quickly can cause more noise. If this is the case, a tune writer should be able to fix it.

thanks.. I explained the situation to PHP.. hopefully they come up with something and work with me a little..

I was listening close last night, stock vs. tune.. holy cow they are LOUD when tuned. and its not just one, its all of them, I was concerned is was #8.. it is not.. in fact they all sound about the same.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

No sir, Thoroughbred will do nothing for me.. I suppose they MIGHT take it back, I didnt ask because I figure I can get it fixed.

If I were to buy this again Id buy direct. PHP seems to have this policy to go to the reseller for help. I think thats a poor poor policy.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
They sell to a ton of vendors. Now we know throroghbred is a crappy vendor.

Have you ever had it tuned before? If so what did it do?

If your edge is hooked into the obd port then you should be able to read them.

Icp should be listed as injection control pressure. Then look for duty cycle.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts