The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was two years ago but Im now curious.

I asked for a 40hp tune (forgot who I got the tune from) for towing and it was sent to me via email and had no issue installing.

After installing and running a trip I noticed the truck was SUPER loud. Even louder than stock. I know I am an early 99 with single shot injectors or at least I think I am so I know my truck is just loud in general.

So I called the tuner up (can likely find out who if it makes a difference to anyone) and explained that it was super loud and Id like a more aggressive transmission shift scheme as it would drop into OD and then drop out and back in and so on and so forth..

So they sent me a 40hp tow "quiet tune". This tune made a significant difference in the engine noise, quieted it down substantially.

So, Im curious as heck as to what was done and if it could hurt my truck in anyway. Just seemed odd that it wasnt sent right off the bat.

thanks to all you nut job experts out there.. not sure what Id do without you... well, I wouldnt own this truck for sure, Id need to spend $60k instead of $7500. So thankful as I dont have $60k to blow on a damn truck.

·
Premium Member
14,492 Posts
I know they can change parameters that will substantially alter the noise output. Advancing the timing makes it louder. Increasing ICP pressure seems to increase the volume. I had the same experience when I went to single shots - it got so loud it was unbearable and my MPG hit the toilet. Working with Jody to iron out some kinks - still a work in progress, but changing the tuning has dramatically quietened the engine and am getting close to what I had before as far as economy.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know they can change parameters that will substantially alter the noise output. Advancing the timing makes it louder. Increasing ICP pressure seems to increase the volume. I had the same experience when I went to single shots - it got so loud it was unbearable and my MPG hit the toilet. Working with Jody to iron out some kinks - still a work in progress, but changing the tuning has dramatically quietened the engine and am getting close to what I had before as far as economy.
Why in the world would you install single shots?

EDIT: after reviewing some of my posts I dont believe I have single shots.. and it was PHP who did my "quiet tune".

Apparently, Jay from PHP told me what is done sp Id have to dig deep for that 2016 email. Memory is failing at an alarming rate.. ugh how did I get to 54???????????????????

·
Registered
998 Posts
You get single shots when you want a lot of horse power and torque. Duh. Noise never bothered me, in fact I like it. Jody dropped my ICP down to 487 at idle, and it smooths it out quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
14,492 Posts
Why in the world would you install single shots?
Like Absolute said - better power and economy. Split shots are ONLY for emissions. The first shot is a small amount of fuel to get a fire going and the second shot is sprayed into that flame. Allegedly reduces NOx, but in reality, just uses a bit of fuel every single injection that doesn't contribute to power. The single shot injector is more controllable by the programmer as well - gives them more margin to play with pulse width and such.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts